FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

what are different between AMD and Pentium???

roesaid
who know what are different between AMD and Pentium?
which is better?

i heard that AMD is more powerful than Pentium but it is faster to hot than Pentium..
are it true? Question
Sergiy
AMD athlon Single core is better then Pentium single core, but Intel Core 2 Duo is more better then AMD Athlon X2
AMD is for games but Pentium is for programmes, servers,... Very Happy
TheGeek
Right now the power house award goes to Intel because their C2D processors absolutely obliterate any available AMD processor.

Next month AMD is slated to release their new 65nm X2 chips which will be on the AM2 platform and rumored to be on the S939 platform as well (though S939 release is not confirmed by any sources). With the release of the 65nm chips we will see yet lower temps coming from the AMD chips as well as higher overclocks then we are currently seeing due to the smaller architecture. The 65nm chips will be released as the AMD X2 4000+, 4400+, 4800+ and 5000+.

Intel has recently released their QX line of chips which are the quad core Extreme series chips that follow in the steps of the X6800 chip. In Q1 of next year Intel is slated to release the rest of the quad core lineup.

AMD has recently released its 4x4 architecture which will potentially allow 2 quad core processors to run side by side on the same motherboard without expensive registered memory. Right now however, the 4x4 is limited to the X2 and dual core opteron chips because AMD has yet to release its quad core processors. Those should be released sometime next year.

So the simple answer right now is that Intel is better than AMD for sheer performance. AMD still has a few advantages over Intel, one being price and that they still have a powerful socket that runs on DDR1 memory. However, Intel right now is getting better frame rates in games, better benchmarks scores and better overclocks than the currently available AMD chips.
mawfia
Ah I love this question. We'll let me ask the origianl poster a question. What do you use your computer for and would you be willing to shell out and additional 350+ for the processor alone! Oh by the way your gonna have to buy very expensive memory to support the processor. And if history is any kind of indicator of Intels habit patterns, the new and also expensive motherboard you will have to buy will problaby need to be replaced in a year anyway since they likely to change the socket!

So lets sum things up:
Expensive
Low upgradability
Expensive components

And for all of this your web page will load .00023 seconds faster and while your typing a response to this you computer will still be waiting for you to hit the submit button so it can continue waiting as faithfully and obediently as ever.

So if you need need Photoshop or 3d Studio Max to render your work faster than Intel is the better performer. If you are like most of the population that buys dells and apples so they can chat online and use office than the better processor is the one you can get the cheapest.

A decently priced Intel chip right now is equivalent to the FX line.
Cole
AMD vs Pentium.
AMD slaps pentium down to ground, absolutely destroying everything about the pentium.

While Pentiums have higher ghz, AMD's 64/x2/Fx lines are all faster even with a slower ghz numer. One of these with a 2.4ghz processor can outdo a Pentium 3.5ghz. Pentiums also run hotter and can overclock less.

HOWEVER.
Intel finally got around and did a complete shift in architecture. Intels Core 2 Duo processors are great and beat AMD's current architecture. They also run at lower ghz, less watts, and arn't as hot as the P4 processors.

Although I don't think AMD cares all that much, they finally got Dell on there side and will have quite the increase in income.
diduknowthat
Cole wrote:
AMD vs Pentium.
Pentiums also run hotter and can overclock less.

What happened to the Pentium D 805's? With a stock clock of 2.66ghz, it is almost guaranteed to hit 3.2ghz without extra vcore on stock cooling. People have pushed it into the 4ghz range with liquid cooling.

Cole wrote:

Intel finally got around and did a complete shift in architecture.

Actually thre CD and C2D's are based off the Pentium M architecture, but yes, a completely shift compared to netburst.
Kd527
Intel Core 2 Duos don't have to be expensive. You can get a Mac mini (that can run windoze BTW) for US$599.

Right now, Intel seems to have the cutting edge in processors. They even have a new quad-core Xeon 5300.
Arnie
Intel just went in a wrong direction technologically, with their NetBurst line (Pentium 4's). Then they went back to the Pentium III "P6" microarchitecture that was already succesfully being used again in the Pentium M. The resulting Conroe (Core Duo) processors are quite good again.

Just read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_microarchitecture about that Smile
Cole
Quote:
What happened to the Pentium D 805's? With a stock clock of 2.66ghz, it is almost guaranteed to hit 3.2ghz without extra vcore on stock cooling. People have pushed it into the 4ghz range with liquid cooling.

While they may be able to hit a nice 4ghz, I am also taking into account more than just the mhz number.

I'm also taking into account:
For every mhz you can overclock the AMD64/X2/FX it will mean more than every mhz you can overclock the P4.

Although you can overclock athlons to 4+ghz. I forgot how fast they overclocked one but wow...... I think it was on anandtech.[/quote]
nandan
AMD - Graphic applications such as animations and all and games of high graphic reqiurement... It is also too much fast and efficient in comparison with Pentium... The only thing required is AC in the room for it nothing else... Also cheap...
NEurodrOne
AMD for me! always! Not only does it snatch the 'performance prize' underneath intel's stinky nose but also does not indulge in any negative politics for attaining top market status. It simply rocks!

Plus AMD has a convention-numbing, intel-crunching mechanism under its sleeve planning to unleash it in near future. read on.

CPU and GPU all in one to deliver the best performance-per-watt-per-dollar

Quote:
AMD today during its analyst’s day conference call unveiled more details of its next-generation Fusion CPU and GPU hybrid. Early mentions of Fusion first appeared shortly after AMD’s acquisition of ATI Technologies was completed a few months ago. AMD is expected to debut its first Fusion processor in the late 2008 to early 2009 timeframe.

AMD claims: “Fusion-based processors will be designed to provide step-function increases in performance-per-watt-per-dollar over today’s CPU-only architectures, and provide the best customer experience in a world increasingly reliant upon 3D graphics, digital media and high performance computing.”

The GPU and CPU appear to be separate cores on a single die according to early diagrams of AMD’s Fusion architecture. CPU functionality will have access to its own cache while GPU functionality will have access to its own buffers. Joining together the CPU and GPU is a crossbar and integrated memory controller. Everything is connected via HyperTransport links. From there the Fusion processor will have direct access to system memory that appears to be shared between the CPU and GPU. It doesn’t appear the graphics functionality will have its own frame buffer.

While Fusion is a hybrid CPU and GPU architecture, AMD will continue to produce discrete graphics solutions. AMD still believes there’s a need for discrete graphics cards for high end users and physics processing.

Also mentioned during the conference call is AMD’s new branding scheme regarding ATI products. Under the new branding scheme, chipsets for Intel processors and graphics cards will continue on with the ATI brand name. ATI designed chipsets designed for AMD platforms will be branded under AMD as previously reported.

more: http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4982
diduknowthat
Quote:

While they may be able to hit a nice 4ghz, I am also taking into account more than just the mhz number.

I'm also taking into account:
For every mhz you can overclock the AMD64/X2/FX it will mean more than every mhz you can overclock the P4.

Although you can overclock athlons to 4+ghz. I forgot how fast they overclocked one but wow...... I think it was on anandtech.

True, but people are pushing 3ghz pretty easily with the E6300, and a mhz in the C2D lineup means more than a mhz for the athlon lineup.
Cole
I know that. I wasn't specifying Conroe CPU's. I think i've made that pretty clear from my other posts.
Josso
I'm one of those people who personally prefer AMD to Pentium... I used to have one but I had to change to Pentium for a graphics upgrade Sad
diduknowthat
Cole wrote:
I know that. I wasn't specifying Conroe CPU's. I think i've made that pretty clear from my other posts.

oo, oops must have missed that while reading Very Happy
Mosquito
Sergiy wrote:
AMD athlon Single core is better then Pentium single core, but Intel Core 2 Duo is more better then AMD Athlon X2

What he said. AMD is great for single tasking while Intel is better at multi-tasking
diduknowthat
Mosquito wrote:
Sergiy wrote:

What he said. AMD is great for single tasking while Intel is better at multi-tasking

Currently, Intel is just good at everything with the C2D. Back in the Athlon 64/P4 days, AMD dominated gaming, and they had the superior X2 line compared to the PDs.