FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Fedora core 6

Handyman
Has anyone installed it yet? I just loaded it and I am very impressed with this release. The new gnome is very fast and good looking. And now you can choose between 3 desktop environments with one click.

The only fault is that the fedora crew is bypassing firefox 2.0 and working on integrating 3.0 insted. O-well fire fox 1.5 is still pretty good and stable.

Are there any other quirks that anyone has found with core 6?
surdy
I haven't used it yet . ...waiting for a few reviews to come in first

Thanks for your input.

Any other major changes??
cheeta
well i have downloaded the CD version of the product... didnt like it... Downloading the DVD version... Set up would be easy there in DVD version...
redice
I've install and use it form my company's web server. It is stable. I don't use the desktop enviroment yet Smile
bongoman
I downloaded the Fedora Core 6 DVD and besides a bug only found in the Intel version of Fedora in the installer where it installed the i586 version of the kernel is installed instead of the i686 (but easily fixable with like 3 lines of commands in a terminal) so far so good. Fedora could use some work with things like themes though visually its not that bad but I wish there were more choices available. I also kind of wish they went back to the up2date update manager although pup is good in the sense that it is allot less cluttered and simpler to use (but for instance it lacks package descriptions of updates). I don't like the over-reliance on yum when it comes to software installations because I had a problem getting my wireless card to work in the beginning so I had to manually plug into an Ethernet connection to add a package like ndiswrapper which is available on the DVD (of course you can just navigate to the cd and install the program with the RPM command but I suppose if you wanted that convenience you could have downloaded SUSE and used the Yast2 package manager, this also limits people without broadband access from using the package manager effectively. Minus those small annoyances Fedora is really coming along with this Release, it has almost all of the programs you could possibly need.
desertwind
I'm a hard core fedora fan, and FC6 rocks. I installed it a few weeks back, but removed after a few days as I don't have an internet connection now. I'm using Sabayon GNU/Linux now, and is planning to go back to FC6 as soon as I get an internet connection.
hack_man_
Can Fedora be run from a CD (without installation to hard drive)?
saurabh.sauron
i m using Fedora Core 6 and find it better than Core 5. It detected my printer as i connected it whereas FC5 was a bit of struggle. The DVD version is way better and faster. I finished the installation in 2 hours on my underpowered machine. i have used it quite a lot. they have shipped FF 1.5.0.7. even the update upgraded it to 2. could not believe it. i think there is a flaw. there is also a bug in something related to the kernel. i think it is the older kernel that they have shipped. it's better to upgrade as soon as the installation is complete. the upgrade is also 457 MB (at least till now...). It's much faster to load. even KDE is faster. perhaps it is something to do with the new version of KDE. havent installed GNOME so dont know about it...
JayBee
hack_man_ wrote:

I don't thing so. Fedora is not a liveCD distro
{name here}
I'm not a fan of these "spoonfeed" distros. Besides, I've heard Fedora 6 is terribly buggy.
4ndY
I'm using it on my laptop and PC.
First of all: artwork is great (if you like blue Razz )! KDE and GNOME are really fast (and gnome support compiz out-of-box, just need to be enabled in settings). Yes, FF2.0 is missing, but it isn't problem to install it (btw many good plugins for FF1.5 still don't have port to 2.0). The only true flaw is Pirut (GUI for yum) - really pathetic look and functionality a front of Synaptic (GUI for apt).
FC6 rulz Smile
Arno v. Lumig
I downloaded and installed it without any real problems. I really like it, it appears to be a lot (and I really mean a lot) faster then Ubuntu...

The only thing I don't really like is that it just has LOADS of programs installed by it on default.

I'm still waiting for a well-supported, customisable distro that's easy, just works and has exactly the programs I need/want Smile

Greetz,
Arno
onlybooks
This time working on it nice to use and has very good appearance too

I love to use It.............. Very Happy
Handyman
Quote:
The only thing I don't really like is that it just has LOADS of programs installed by it on default.

In the installation setup you can pick and cohhse each program youwant to install. If you want you can also add additional repositories for additional programs not included in the core 6 release. It took me a couple of installs to get it just how I like it and dual boot with vista rc2 but now I think that I have it just right. I am using the rpm.livna repository so I can use xine-totem and watch dvd's. I am also using nerolinux with no problems.
ahender
I got slow internet atm so im going to have to download at school Confused i got fc5 on my laptop ok i guess Wink but I had a time getting the modem to work so hopefully fc6 will work with it.
carlospro7
I'm using fedora core 6, and to me it didn't make much of a difference from when i was using fc5. My wireless card was still not supported, and had tons of trouble with hardware support. I really like it though, it's stable for what I use it for--developing, server testing, and such.
Sergiy
For me is best Debian Linux Laughing
urangkayo
if you don't have internet connection, the best try is install fedora core 6 using DVD, and setting pirut to using DVD
The3dx
Hmmm...i think you can help me here m8's,,,
i have no experience with linux...and i already tried to install 3 differnt version of linux...
the first one was Dibian...and all i see is DOS like after i install it...
The second was a CD version...ii think it's was named KIZIT...
the was very suck cos i couldnt see any of the words...all was smashed out...
the last one so far was fedora 6...
i downloaded the DVD file and tried to install it...
but it's stuck in some point...and i dont know what to do...
can anyone help me?

I will write what did i do till it's stuck
1: i click Enter to start the installation procces...
2.that what show up after a few runing lines...

What ever i do and what ever what i click...nothing happened
tnx ppl for the help...

Oh! btw...what is the differnt between Gnome and KDE?
manumiglani
The3dx wrote:
Hmmm...i think you can help me here m8's,,,
i have no experience with linux...and i already tried to install 3 differnt version of linux...
the first one was Dibian...and all i see is DOS like after i install it...
The second was a CD version...ii think it's was named KIZIT...
the was very suck cos i couldnt see any of the words...all was smashed out...
the last one so far was fedora 6...
i downloaded the DVD file and tried to install it...
but it's stuck in some point...and i dont know what to do...
can anyone help me?

I will write what did i do till it's stuck
1: i click Enter to start the installation procces...
2.that what show up after a few runing lines...
What ever i do and what ever what i click...nothing happened
tnx ppl for the help...

I think there is some problem in your installation media (CD/DVD). Does it restart when you press ctrl+alt+del? How much old is your cd/dvd drive? You may wanna try it on some other CD/DVD drive as well IMO.

Quote:
Oh! btw...what is the differnt between Gnome and KDE?

These both are different desktops (GUI) for Linux systems. For more information, visit http://www.psychocats.net/essays/kdevsgnome
urangkayo
from fedoraproject.org when you first install , fedora using i586 kernel, you can bypass with "linux i686"

Quote:

[img]http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/FC6Common[/img]

Anaconda installing the wrong architecture kernel in some systems. cpuspeed is not working for the same reason. This does not affect out of box functionality much but if you are compiling third party kernel drivers you might run into this on x86 architecture. x86_64 and PPC systems are not affected. [WWW] https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=211941. You can bypass this bug in a new installation by specifying "linux i686" in the installation boot prompt.

brweb
JayBee wrote:
hack_man_ wrote:

I don't thing so. Fedora is not a liveCD distro

Fedora is planning for a live cd.
Just see this page from their site :
http://fedoranews.org/cms/node/2304