FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I LOVE MY PSP

BlockUp
- for Internet Browsing
- for films and music

What do you use your PSP for?
The Shogun
It keeps dust off of a patch of my dresser about 7 inches by 3 inches. Seriously...I'm not saying this as flame bait, but it was one of the biggest wastes of money I've ever had.
DarkJad
"It keeps dust off of a patch of my dresser about 7 inches by 3 inches. Seriously...I'm not saying this as flame bait, but it was one of the biggest wastes of money I've ever had."

It doesn't do that properly either - it's footprint is kinda irregular (it isn't flat), so I find that dust gets under mine.

Let's see,
-useless face buttons
-easily breakable, unresponsive, and useless triggers
-hard to reach, awkward, difficult to grip, and useless analog stick replacement
-low, unresponsive and useless (see a pattern?) directional pad
-crappy LCD screen (presence of ghosting)
-horrible proprietary, useless UMD format (loud, long loading times, expensive)
-difficult to work with, useless video format

I'm sorry - my PSP is useless. And it's logo doesn't even jive with the PS3 logo (as it did with the PS2). Sony's plan = fail.

-Jad
Sergiy
I use PSP for movies, music, games (GTA VCS) and Internet, but for Internet I must have keyboard for psp for fast. Confused
screamingdecay
BlockUp wrote:
- for Internet Browsing
- for films and music

I had it for music then had a few games. Now its sitting in a box in my room because I bought a mp3 player, the games suck now and sony wont fix my dead pixels on my screen.

Last sony product I will ever buy.
tyleranddanny
i find the psp completely useless the screen has dead pixels in it from day one i hate the screens i had more fun with pakman than with my psp i just use it as a really expensive storage device is it worth it i payed 70 pound for the card whats the point so i wasted over 250 pound why couldnt i just throw 200 pound in the air and go and buy a really small 1gb usb stick Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad
BlockUp
Hmm, I've had my PSP for just under a year and it has no stuck pixels. You see, that only normally happens on screens like the DS screens.
Desmond
Hmm I use it for music and videos. I think it's kinda cool that you could install programs on it if only sony would quit releasing new versions that pervents you from putting SNES games on your psp...
DarkJad
Blockup: That happens on both DS screens and PSP screens. Nice attempt at fanboyism. Not.
Patriot Players
Yeah, majorly disappointed with my PSP. They had all the hype bringing it out and then havent released a decent title since launch. I use it to play the FIFA series on the go and thats about it
Ghengis
I like a few of the PSX games they released (Tales of Eternia, Valkyrie Profile, etc.); I use it for an SNES emulator. I have yet to play a single compelling original PSP game. Kingdom of Paradise looks OK, I guess, and I keep hearing there *might* be a Final Fantasy game which I would obviously buy, but...

At this point, it literally sits next to my crapper so I have something to do on the john. I eagerly await the release of the official Playstation emulator, though I'm not looking forward to re-buying games I already own, it would be worth another 10 bucks or so to be able to play Castlevania on the road...
DarkJad
I'll admit - I did enjoy playing Valkyrie Profile for the first time on the PSP. That's about it. But that was a fun game. Kinda dull after a while thoughl
eLto
Well now, this thread is kinda filled with player haters Razz
The PSP is becoming better everyday. Not only does it work as a video player, mp3 player, game station, RSS feeder, image viewer, but soon, sony will release the original PSone games for the PSP, so there's an extensive new database of games just there. I mean, playing Final Fantasy 9, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy 7, Resident evil, All the other final fantasies released on the psone, and so on will be a thrill!

not to mention the oh so beautiful GTA series already out for it, and the possibility of turning it into a very expanded Game boy advance, I'd say the opportunities for this baby are quite huge.

Now if only the battery held longer than 4 hours max...
Ghengis
@elto: you can get an external battery pack, or buy extras since it's easy to change them (unlike, say, the GBA SP). Or, do like I did and buy a 3rd-party USB cable that both transfers data and charges your PSP -- you can get a powered "USB" widget for both 12v (cigarette lighter) and 120v (wall outlet) plugs. I used both when I took my PSP to school on long commutes.

As for PS1 games -- firmware 3.0 dropped earlier this week, which means if you have a PS3 (hah!) you should have access any day now thru the Playstation Store. I am eagerly awaiting the direct-to-PSP version, though of course I will wait until it's hacked so I can keep playing Chrono Trigger while I poop Cool
DarkJad
"The PSP is becoming better everyday. Not only does it work as a video player, mp3 player, game station, RSS feeder, image viewer, but soon, sony will release the original PSone games for the PSP, so there's an extensive new database of games just there. I mean, playing Final Fantasy 9, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy 7, Resident evil, All the other final fantasies released on the psone, and so on will be a thrill!"

OK, lemme use my PSP for videos . . . wait, too bad they have to be in a ridiculous specified format. Don't forget - whatever software Sony releases on their website isn't Macintosh compatible!
Or how about images? Too bad it takes the PSP hours to process basic thumbnails of the images, making image viewing of anything absurd, unless you like waiting for them to load while looking at the purty background.
MP3 player? Seems a bit large to keep in my pocket, not to mention the fact that it's super-fragile, and all around a waste. What are the Memory Stick Pro Duos (goddamn format) memory at these days? Even 4gb of songs is still a total waste of a memory card.

Ah. PS1 games. Because Sony can't develop anything GOOD for the PSP, they just rerelease older games!
Of course, the brilliance of this is offset by the fact that action games will suck (the screen blurs), game sizes will be massive (I assume you download them onto your Memory Stick) OR they'll be UMD format (damn, pick your poison . . .)
Not to mention the fact that having no L2 or R2 or 2nd analog stick will ruin games that supported them.

Oh, and don't forget: I ALREADY OWN THESE GAMES! I'm not paying for them again, because I can play them on my PS3! (Which you need to buy games for your PSP, in a hyper-illogical move).
Oh, aside from the PS3's backwards-compatibility being basically broken . . .

Sorry. I'm just not a fan of Sony's new stuff.

-Jad
Marston
The Shogun wrote:
It keeps dust off of a patch of my dresser about 7 inches by 3 inches. Seriously...I'm not saying this as flame bait, but it was one of the biggest wastes of money I've ever had.
pwned.
Ghengis
If somebody had told me in e.g. 2002 that for $250 I could have a portable PS1 the size of the then-current GBA (give or take), that also plays SNES games at full speed, I would have been at the front of that line (or at least done what I ended up doing and waited until the first price drop). Is it a *shame* that there aren't any decent PSP native games? Sure. Is UMD the worst idea since Betamax? No doubt. Does it mean that the system is a paperweight? Only if you can't find a better use for it. As long as I have homebrew, and especially if I can add in PS1 emulation, I will continue to put off my DS purchase, getting by only with my PSP.
roach831
i use my psp for music and thats it, because everything else is worth less
NeoValkyrion
I used to just use my PSP for internet browsing and music, but then I got an iPod.

Now I only use it for internet browsing, and very rarely at that.

Sony is going to crash and burn soon enough.
DarkJad
"If somebody had told me in e.g. 2002 that for $250 I could have a portable PS1 the size of the then-current GBA (give or take), that also plays SNES games at full speed, I would have been at the front of that line (or at least done what I ended up doing and waited until the first price drop). Is it a *shame* that there aren't any decent PSP native games? Sure. Is UMD the worst idea since Betamax? No doubt. Does it mean that the system is a paperweight? Only if you can't find a better use for it. As long as I have homebrew, and especially if I can add in PS1 emulation, I will continue to put off my DS purchase, getting by only with my PSP."

Yes, it is a shame that there are no decent PSP games.
Homebrew software (at least emulating the SNES games you mention) is illegal/semilegal, depending on where you live; and it also prevents you from using several of the features implemented by Sony.

The PSP itself is a failure if Sony cannot support it themselves.

Oh, other flaws in your argument?
-it's much larger than the then-gen GBA, not to mention it magnetically attracts (sarcasm, but it does attract) fingerprints; easily scratchable as well, and it's battery is far shorter; you fail to mention these aspects
-it's not a portable PS1 - Sony will only release certain PS1 games, and even then, enjoy using your PS3 to BUY THEM AGAIN

-Jad
Ghengis
Hey, whoa, I'm no Sony fanboy -- I bought my PSP on the DS Lite launch day. Up until that day, I had been set on a Lite, but the day before I really got down to evaluating the two handhelds as SNES emulators, and PSP came out on top. I knew there were pretty much no decent PSP titles, but that didn't matter very much. At the time, they hadn't yet announced the PS1 emulation, so I was basically laying out $170 (used console-only price) for a portable SNES, which was fine. I plan on getting a DS Lite once my favorite color (the name escapes me) comes to the US.
QrafTee
eLto wrote:
Well now, this thread is kinda filled with player haters Razz
The PSP is becoming better everyday. Not only does it work as a video player, mp3 player, game station, RSS feeder, image viewer, but soon, sony will release the original PSone games for the PSP, so there's an extensive new database of games just there. I mean, playing Final Fantasy 9, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy 7, Resident evil, All the other final fantasies released on the psone, and so on will be a thrill!

not to mention the oh so beautiful GTA series already out for it, and the possibility of turning it into a very expanded Game boy advance, I'd say the opportunities for this baby are quite huge.

Now if only the battery held longer than 4 hours max...

Now I could've sworn that some big boss at Sony (Japan) said that there would be no ports to the PSP because the handheld itself is great enough already and have an extensive library of games that gamers would enjoy... so now they're going to port all the top PSX hits onto it? Haha, that's Sony for you.

Ghengis wrote:
@elto: you can get an external battery pack, or buy extras since it's easy to change them (unlike, say, the GBA SP). Or, do like I did and buy a 3rd-party USB cable that both transfers data and charges your PSP -- you can get a powered "USB" widget for both 12v (cigarette lighter) and 120v (wall outlet) plugs. I used both when I took my PSP to school on long commutes.

As for PS1 games -- firmware 3.0 dropped earlier this week, which means if you have a PS3 (hah!) you should have access any day now thru the Playstation Store. I am eagerly awaiting the direct-to-PSP version, though of course I will wait until it's hacked so I can keep playing Chrono Trigger while I poop Cool

So what you're saying is "becuase I have so much money, I'll just keep buying add-ons which should've been in the original product for more money because y'know I can afford it."
eLto
"add-ons that should have ben included" applies to every console ever released after the psone and nintendo64 generation.

This is simply a trick to take more money from consumers. Remember the first multitap? It was for NES, and people flamed nintendo, since this was what the NES should've been from the beginning.

The problem with consoles nowadays(except nintendo) is that they're trying to be more than a gaming console, which in the first place, is what they are. Sony released PSone. It could play CD's. from there on out, the battle had begun. the PS2 could play dvd's and audio cds, and the xbox could do both AND mp3s.. N64 could none of those, and gamecube only took small discs, with games on them. only.

nintendo is the only console manufacturer that actually makes games consoles. Sony and Microsoft are making multimedia centers that can also play games at a high graphical rate.

The problem with the psp is that it's also trying to be a multimedia center, when it should've left the UMD back in developement, and supported small 8cm discs instead. and they shouldn't have added a video/mp3/photos feature. Neither should the iPod, really. An mp3 player is an mp3 player, not a multimedia center with a 1" screen, dammit.
Ghengis
QrafTee wrote:

Ghengis wrote:

So what you're saying is "becuase I have so much money, I'll just keep buying add-ons which should've been in the original product for more money because y'know I can afford it."

I'm hardly brimming over with cash, so I don't really think that's fair. I don't need the extra batteries, and the USB charger was less than 10 bucks -- and I already had the 120VAC-to-USB adapters from a Pocket PC charger, which was less than 15 bucks in the first place... all in, I've spent about $250 on the PSP and all my accessories, including a 2GB MSPD.

I would contend that for basic play, everything you need comes in the box. It has one battery and an AC charger -- if you need to play for more than one battery charge at a time, you are a special case and it's not outrageous to expect you to buy extra stuff. I would rather buy a $200 (retail) PSP with a 4-hour battery than a $220 or $230 PSP with an 8-hour battery. I never (or almost never) need to play for more than ~3 hours between charges, so the unit would be heavier, all the time, and possibly bulkier, *and* more expensive, with absolutely no benefit to me. I feel that I got pretty good value for my money.
QrafTee
eLto wrote:
"add-ons that should have ben included" applies to every console ever released after the psone and nintendo64 generation.

This is simply a trick to take more money from consumers. Remember the first multitap? It was for NES, and people flamed nintendo, since this was what the NES should've been from the beginning.

The problem with consoles nowadays(except nintendo) is that they're trying to be more than a gaming console, which in the first place, is what they are. Sony released PSone. It could play CD's. from there on out, the battle had begun. the PS2 could play dvd's and audio cds, and the xbox could do both AND mp3s.. N64 could none of those, and gamecube only took small discs, with games on them. only.

nintendo is the only console manufacturer that actually makes games consoles. Sony and Microsoft are making multimedia centers that can also play games at a high graphical rate.

The problem with the psp is that it's also trying to be a multimedia center, when it should've left the UMD back in developement, and supported small 8cm discs instead. and they shouldn't have added a video/mp3/photos feature. Neither should the iPod, really. An mp3 player is an mp3 player, not a multimedia center with a 1" screen, dammit.

You miss an important element. The NES's multi-tap was not an add-on which should've already been included, the add-on set a new standard. Now the same can't be said for the SNES/PSX/PS2.

And it's not a problem that companies are developing non-game essential things to put in a console. That's a great idea. The problem comes in when these multimedia features begin to add onto the console's cost (to the point where it doubles or triples the price of the console and its gaming features itself). That and when they make such a big deal about the multimedia features sicne it's a game console to begin with!

And even though Nintendo has criticized its competitors for adding multimedia features. You know they've tried it themselves with the Q and the Wii (Photo Channel). The thing is, though, they're doing it right by adding things that might be needed for their target audience without increasing the price by much, if at all.

The PSP had a great idea, but Sony went overboard on the multimedia features, you're right. I wouldn't mind watching a movie on it, but really how often would I do that? The MP3 feature is nice, though. The iPod is expensive enough as is, I rather not let them add a screen and up the cost by hundreds of dollars. Just have the screen help me get to what I want faster is all I'm asking.
Ghengis
I would say that the NES and SNES were both right to include the multitap as an addon, and probably the PSX/PS2 as well. How many >2 player games were there? A dozen for SNES, a few more for SNES (not counting the seven different versions of the same football game, etc.), and a few dozen for PS1. PS2 has 136 according to the Sony website, which is probably a good indicator that a built-in multitap would have been a good idea. Otherwise, like you said yourself, non-game essential things in the console add to the console's cost. If most people will never use ports 3 and 4, it makes no sense to make everybody buy them.

Of course, starting this generation the discussion is moot, since everything will be USB and/or wireless -- hopefully by some industry standard protocol. I can't wait to use my Wiimote as a PC mouse Wink
arkebuzer
DarkJad wrote:
"It keeps dust off of a patch of my dresser about 7 inches by 3 inches. Seriously...I'm not saying this as flame bait, but it was one of the biggest wastes of money I've ever had."

It doesn't do that properly either - it's footprint is kinda irregular (it isn't flat), so I find that dust gets under mine.

Let's see,
-useless face buttons
-hard to reach, awkward, difficult to grip, and useless analog stick replacement

I'm sorry - my PSP is useless. And it's logo doesn't even jive with the PS3 logo (as it did with the PS2). Sony's plan = fail.

-Jad

I dont own a PSP myself, but a good friend of mine does.
And that one works perfectly to watch movies, with really impressive graphics quallity!
eLto
but really, I usually watch movies with friends, rendering the PSP useless. While the graphical quality of the UMDs are superiour to DVD (to a certain extent), the screen is tiny for several people to watch, and once someone in the room utters a word, you have to rewind, because the sound is so low you just missed a whole plot point. I've watched ONE full film on my PSP, and that was Advent Children. I throw some funny clips and short films on it, to show other people. I sometimes throw my own personal video projects on it, in case someone wants to know what I'm up to on the video front(I'm always up to something on that front).
m_furquan36
I havent honestly used my psp in ages its just lying there ever since i got an ipod.....really its not great and pretty useless Confused
DarkJad
"I dont own a PSP myself, but a good friend of mine does.
And that one works perfectly to watch movies, with really impressive graphics quallity!"

Well try using it yourself. Try using once the initial glow of a 'omg new handheld' wears off. Try popping in a movie. Until the LCD screen "warms up" from about 30 minutes of play, there is significant ghosting, especially if anything moving is black. I tried watching Batman Begins . . . bad idea.
Even after the screen 'warms up' there is still ghosting. For a game system, there should be none.
peter_
I play game's and i browse on the internet.
ovg8
[quote="Ghengis"] Kingdom of Paradise looks OK, I guess, and I keep hearing there *might* be a Final Fantasy game which I would obviously buy, but...
quote]

That games dissidia final fantasy its out now and its pretty pro it get boring after 4 weeks.
Jamestf347

Let's see,
-useless face buttons

but really, I usually watch movies with friends, rendering the PSP useless. While the graphical quality of the UMDs are superiour to DVD (to a certain extent), the screen is tiny for several people to watch, and once someone in the room utters a word, you have to rewind, because the sound is so low you just missed a whole plot point. I've watched ONE full film on my PSP, and that was Advent Children. I throw some funny clips and short films on it, to show other people. I sometimes throw my own personal video projects on it, in case someone wants to know what I'm up to on the video front(I'm always up to something on that front).

they are truely useless, and if you really want to do something, get an i touch, watch movies play games or hell get a gameboy -.-
EximiusNero
PSP's are the best handheld by far if you install a hombrew firmware on it.

You can download PSP games right to your memory stick and play them for free. You can download tons of programs like NES, SNES, GBA, PS1, etc emulators to play those games as well.

On the other hand if you leave the official firmware on your psp and choose to buy every game then ya, PSP's are worthless.
ato784
I enjoy my psp alot and it is way better than the ds everything, including game quality, is better. now that it is a few years old and has many titles that are good out it is a good system that i enjoy completely, i also have a phat psp and have never had any issues with it, i also have cfw on it and can play the gba games that i have on it, which is cool, i can also do so much more because of that as well and, with the release of the new psp go i can tell the psp is going to have many more games come out.
SunD3R
I just use it for gaming and internet browsing. With my PSP hacked and two 4 gb memory cards, I have about 10 different games which i can take around with me all the time.
Dark_merlin
I haven't used my psp in a while, but i do have to say its a much better movie/music player than an iPod. While the iPod is great for on the go and walking around, if you're in a car for 6hours with nothing to do, the PSP has top games, and a massive screen for movies.

Plus, with a custom firmware you can do pretty much anything you want. Grand theft auto became alot more fun when my motorcycle could fly! Laughing
jigoku05
I use my psp to it's full capacity.

-Play games
-Use as mp3 player
-Watch Videos
-Net Browsing
-Installed Various Homebrews
-Installed Several Useful Plug-ins (cwCheat, cxmb, remotejoylite, etc...)
-Replace full casing (I disassembled the whole unit to replace backplate)
-Customized Skin
-Customized Gameboot
-Customized Coldboot
-Customized Theme
-Customized Playgear Pocket Skin
-Upgraded to the latest CFW (5.50 GEN-D3)

But I'm poor so I only have PSP 1006/phat ^_^

before:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJMi4fZ5Wpc

now:

ato784
jigoku05 wrote:

-Play games
-Use as mp3 player
-Watch Videos
-Net Browsing
-Customized Skin
-Customized Gameboot
-Customized Coldboot
-Customized Theme

before:

now:

Hey i have also done all of the that stuff, well except for replacing the casing, since it is still good... and omg is that who i think it is in the pictures? my favorite anime show?
jigoku05
ato784 wrote:
jigoku05 wrote:

-Play games
-Use as mp3 player
-Watch Videos
-Net Browsing
-Customized Skin
-Customized Gameboot
-Customized Coldboot
-Customized Theme

before:

now:

Hey i have also done all of the that stuff, well except for replacing the casing, since it is still good... and omg is that who i think it is in the pictures? my favorite anime show?

If you're favorite anime is Haruhi Suzumiya then it is. Very Happy
ato784
DarkJad wrote:

Let's see,
-useless face buttons

-Jad

do you even own a psp? if you do you should get it replaced since yours is obviously broken, and should be fixed. Luckly most of those problems are fixed today, and there are no better portable gaming systems available today.
Furuya
Hmm... where have my psp gone?
*Digging* AHh Haa!!
Found it... full of dust...
It have being there since HIS brother PS3 Coming staying with Him...
ribozon
Usually watching movies when im in travel to somewhere else far, games when im bored and sometimes trying to use the internet browser but i think its slow a bit so im listening music instead of it Razz
amperx
i usually use my psp as media player, and for games, its browser just suck though, its way too rigid, ds browser is even better, i just wish they'd add an update to psp's browser, to make it more usable...
smsmcfarland
I used to have a psp and then it got smashed by a minivan :/ sad day... sad day...
trung23
I used to love PSP but now my Ipod touch 4. It looks more amazing than the PSP - and it's slim..
Segun3d
BlockUp wrote:
- for Internet Browsing
- for films and music

Idea for games and video my music and pictures dairy
Segun3d
jigoku05 wrote:
ato784 wrote:
jigoku05 wrote:

-Play games
-Use as mp3 player
-Watch Videos
-Net Browsing
-Customized Skin
-Customized Gameboot
-Customized Coldboot
-Customized Theme

before:

now:

If you're favorite anime is Haruhi Suzumiya then it is. Very Happy
Rolling Eyes i bet you even use your psp for masturebating
Segun3d
SunD3R wrote:
I just use it for gaming and internet browsing. With my PSP hacked and two 4 gb memory cards, I have about 10 different games which i can take around with me all the time.
Twisted Evil oo! i get it it makes your dick comes in handy right
Alerrandre
psp is a nice game,but i still prefer xbox,ps3 our wii

Bye