FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Frihost on Wikipedia

reddishblue
There is no arcticle on Wikipedia for Frihost!
We must write one! (or I will)
I just need everyones help for what info to put on it so please submit some so that we can make Wikipedia.

Reddish Blue
a.Bird
I would include these things in not particular order, separately paragraphed and cited whenever notable text on this site is available:

-General Frihost mission statement and it's general focus as website

-A detailed list of what this site offers and a bit of comparison to other popular webspace providers in terms of it's benefits and disadvantages. Perhaps what type of webmaster is targeted.

-Brief information on the founder, history of website and any significant staff members.

edit: As truly wonderful as Frihost is, I would avoid hinting towards any personal biases or opinionated words like "great" or "excellent" in regard to overall service.
hack_man_
Shouldn't we wait for Bondings to input something before we go ahead?
a.Bird
Well I'm sure he'd like to know about it but why would he object to spreading the word? I think the more important thing is seeing if we can gather enough ideas and develop a cohesive article before we present it to him. If it's solid work, then I'm sure he won't have a problem.
reddishblue
Well of course, you know what would be cool, if he gave us frih for doing it JUST KIDDING.
Anyway wikipedia is factual so it can't be an ad, we do have to include lows, still there arn't many of those!
Daniel15
I don't think Wikipedia would let us add an article for FriHost. It would be considered advertising, something which they don't allow.

However, there's already an article about FriHost on WikiClassifieds, at http://wikiclassifieds.org/w/index.php?title=Frihost_free_web_hosting Wink. I'm not sure what they allow there though...
reddishblue
Yes but we will not encorage people to come, we will not pretend there was not any server 2 downtime, of course we will say good things too, without saying its good.
a.Bird
Good point. But considering that Frihost is quite unique in that it is built on a very diverse and active community, I feel that an article on it would have a place above advertising. It would be an unbiased review of the site, speaking factually and honestly of the positives and negatives, the history, the community. It's innovation in webhosting and perhaps an alternative to market based providers and money pocketing companies may be interesting and informative.

Yahoo on Wikipedia. Surely Frihost is not as popular as Yahoo but that is hardly the point anyways, correct? Somebody who wants more detailed information on Frihost before signing up may indeed look up it's history and credentials on Wikipedia. Or not... if an article doesn't exist. Idea
Bondings
hack_man_ wrote:

Ok here is my input. Very Happy

I'm not really familiar with the rules of Wikipedia. All I know is that it wouldn't be allowed if written by the owner. But by other members would be a different case I think, although I guess there is a big chance of it being removed.

And yes of course I would like/love it when there would be an article about Frihost on Wikipedia. Very Happy
ashok
then why not put up a post? anybody's got an accont at wiki?
xorcist
I'm making on my username on there is BOITournaments... What should I write about it people give me some ideas.
seanooi
Free reliable web host with minimal downtimes, a friendly community but with very little spammers? Laughing
reddishblue
I have an account there, I can write it, and if its unbiased then how can it be removed?
Blaster
Bondings wrote:
hack_man_ wrote:

Ok here is my input. Very Happy

I'm not really familiar with the rules of Wikipedia. All I know is that it wouldn't be allowed if written by the owner. But by other members would be a different case I think, although I guess there is a big chance of it being removed.

And yes of course I would like/love it when there would be an article about Frihost on Wikipedia. Very Happy

I'm writting one. Is there anything you would like to say in it?
reddishblue
Awsome, while everyone is debating you just start cool.
Well be sure to include server 2 downtime and a brief history, you will probebly need Bondings to verify some of that info though.
Blaster
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frihost

Fell free to edit. Just don't screw it up.
Marston
Pretty terrible article. Whoever edits it next should work on making the article unbiased, clean up grammar, organise the article into sections, and categorize the article.
reddishblue
They have already put it up for deleation...
reddishblue
Do we have 45000 regesterd users already!
Edit: Well I corrected your spelling...
Ah this is so bias im just going to restart the whole arcticle (that way it might not be deleated)
Marston
Wikipwned.
reddishblue
OK I have changed it completly but its not done yet so I ask that someone continues it en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frihost
The_Gamer294
Marston wrote:
Wikipwned.

Yeah, we really need to find someone with writing skills. Frihost is better than that and we all know it.
william
About a month after I joined Frihost, I considered making an article on Frihost. However, I didn't. Why? Really because that the chances of deletion were high. And that is the case now. I will try to help out, too; hopefully it won't be deleted.
soulman
good idea, but I am afraid wiki not allow to publish the information of advertisment...
reddishblue
For the last time the arcticle will be unbiase we will not just say good things also the bad
william
Um, I just checked Wikipedia, and I think it was deleted.
Marston
Firstly, writing an article about a website is NOT advertisement- there are over 200 articles about popular websites on wikipedia which are NOT marked for deletion. The reason why the original article was deleted was because the original author *looks at blaster* failed to identify what the website was about.

That being said, I'll get started on writing the article.

edit:
This is what I have so far...
Quote:
FriHost (pronounced "free-host") is a free website hosting service, wherein members "pay" for hosting by posting in a community forum (commonly known as "post 'n host"). FriHost was established on, or around April 25, 2005.
If you're going to help me write this page, please, please make sure that you remain unbiased, add only important information, make sure that your information is correct, and above all, use proper grammar/spelling!
Daniel15
Good work Marston Smile
I'll see if I can help improve the article.
Marston
Very Happy Thank you.
william
Marston wrote:
Firstly, writing an article about a website is NOT advertisement- there are over 200 articles about popular websites on wikipedia which are NOT marked for deletion. The reason why the original article was deleted was because the original author *looks at blaster* failed to identify what the website was about.

That being said, I'll get started on writing the article.

edit:
This is what I have so far...
Quote:
FriHost (pronounced "free-host") is a free website hosting service, wherein members "pay" for hosting by posting in a community forum (commonly known as "post 'n host"). FriHost was established on, or around April 25, 2005.
If you're going to help me write this page, please, please make sure that you remain unbiased, add only important information, make sure that your information is correct, and above all, use proper grammar/spelling!

Nice job, Marston. Very Happy I'll be working on this page, too. Do not worry, I will make sure that proper grammar is used and that it is unbiased.
Nevvb
I dont really like wikopedia because other people can edit your topic..
Marston
^ That's the whole point of wikipedia.

The article was deleted again.
nox-Hand
If one is made again, be sure to note that there are many users like me, who always have their points below 0 Embarassed
nilsmo
I do not think an article on Wikipedia about Frihost is needed.

See this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Notability

Wikipedia:Notability wrote:
* In order to have a verifiable article, a topic must be notable enough that it will be described by multiple independent reliable sources.
* In order to have a neutral article with minimal errors, a topic must be notable enough that there will be non-partisan editors interested in editing it.
* Wikipedia is an encyclopedia. As such, Wikipedia is not an indiscriminate directory of businesses, websites, persons, etc.

As we can see, Wikipedia is not a directory of web sites, like Frihost. Topics should be verifiable, which Frihost is not (has Frihost been mentioned in the media? No, just in other minor web sites http://www.google.com/search?q=Frihost ). So you should not make an article about Frihost on Wikipedia at this point.

However, you can, say, make an article on a wiki on your frihost web site about Frihost... Wink
Bondings
Ok, so first we need to get it mentioned in the media. I'll do my best. Very Happy
Lord Kuat
reddishblue wrote:
There is no arcticle on Wikipedia for Frihost!
We must write one! (or I will)
I just need everyones help for what info to put on it so please submit some so that we can make Wikipedia.

Reddish Blue

Definately a good idea, heh.
Marston
nilsmo wrote:
I do not think an article on Wikipedia about Frihost is needed.

See this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Notability

* In order to have a verifiable article, a topic must be notable enough that it will be described by multiple independent reliable sources.
* In order to have a neutral article with minimal errors, a topic must be notable enough that there will be non-partisan editors interested in editing it.
* Wikipedia is an encyclopedia. As such, Wikipedia is not an indiscriminate directory of businesses, websites, persons, etc.

As we can see, Wikipedia is not a directory of web sites, like Frihost. Topics should be verifiable, which Frihost is not (has Frihost been mentioned in the media? No, just in other minor web sites http://www.google.com/search?q=Frihost ). So you should not make an article about Frihost on Wikipedia at this point.

However, you can, say, make an article on a wiki on your frihost web site about Frihost... Wink
Er, this is wholey unrelated... To anything... Topics themselves need not be verifiable, just information contained within them (and depending on the information, verification may not even be needed). I think the article was re-deleted because it was "unremarkable", but I'm still waiting for an answer. Unfortunately, I think the topic is being constantly being deleted by a wikipedia admin who is a bit of an arse... Most volunteers there are pretty nice.
sibbahz
Wikipedia does seem against any smaller website posting an article about themselves.
I can remember another site getting removed very rapidly from there as well.
Even know bigger podcasts were allowed.
Blaster
Mine got deleated Sad Maybe i will make it up again. Right now i'm too lazy though.
Jayfarer
If it was deleted, then it was probably for good reason. That just means Frihost has to get bigger/be more significant. It's probably best to just let it go.
Daniel15
Jayfarer wrote:
If it was deleted, then it was probably for good reason. That just means Frihost has to get bigger/be more significant. It's probably best to just let it go.

Yep, the page has been deleted about 4 times now (check the deletion log). If we keep creating it, they'll ban the word FriHost (we definately don't want this).

It is probably best if we leave it for a while Wink
Technaut
this is Wikipedia's way of telling us Frihost is too good to have an article hosted on their lowly and humble servers. they are not worthy. Very Happy
Marston
Blaster wrote:
Mine got deleated Sad Maybe i will make it up again. Right now i'm too lazy though.
Yours was pretty bad though Razz.
Soulfire
1) It will be biased, you can't help that.
2) Unbiased or not, it's still advertising - and Wikipedia seems hell bent on not allowing it.

But I would love for it to work!
Yazz
I can't wait to see this. It'll expose this site way more than I ever could do alone Razz

Anyways, make quadruple sure that there's no errors or grammatical mistakes. That stuff really puts me off when I'm reading an article anywhere.

edit: aww... well drat. That's no fair. Frihost is totally one of a kind. IT DESERVES IT SHINEY MOMENTS OF SHINEYNESS!
jylan
The guy on wikipedia who deleted it (Wknight 94) quoted the following web pages as a reason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:CSD#A7 and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:CSD#G11 Or has that already been said Question
lukeropro
It was deleted
hofodomo01
That's understandable.

Ah, to conquer the wiki...
reddishblue
Hey you know who is a good author on Frihost, Philosopher Princess, I bet she could write a great article if she wants to.Idea
jon9314
it is deleted
nilsmo
Marston wrote:
Er, this is wholey unrelated... To anything... Topics themselves need not be verifiable, just information contained within them (and depending on the information, verification may not even be needed)

So it's OK if a topic has no information? The topic itself needs to be notable in this case:

For some specific topics (i.e. people, bands, groups, clubs, companies, and websites) articles are required to assert their notability in a verifiable way that satisfies the relevant notability criteria.

Wikipedia wrote:
Wikipedia content is required to be verifiable

Also if you look at the deletion log ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Log/delete ) and look at Frihost ( http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ALog&type=delete&user=&page=Frihost ) the administrator who deleted the article said why he deleted the articles. The two reasons (from Wikipedia:Criteria for speedy deletion) he gave were :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:CSD#A7 wrote:
# Unremarkable people, groups, companies and web content. An article about a real person, group of people, band, club, company, or web content that does not assert the importance or significance of its subject. If the assertion is controversial or there has been a previous AfD, the article should be nominated for AfD instead. Note: Avoid the word "vanity" in deletion summaries since it may be considered insulting.

That's related to the notability concept.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:CSD#G11 wrote:
# Blatant advertising. Pages which exclusively promote a company, product, group or service and which would need to be fundamentally rewritten in order to become encyclopedic. Note that simply having a company, product, group or service as its subject does not qualify an article for this criterion: an article that is blatant advertising should have inappropriate content as well. If a page has previously gone through deletion process and was not deleted, it should not be speedily deleted under this criterion.
llam
Just an idea. Is there a collection of sites doing similar things like FriHost? If so, what is the name denote this collection services? For any name that is, you should able to post this "name" on wiki and explain and describe the purpose or goal or whatever about this type of service. For sure Frihost should be listed as one of them. that will be easier on the wiki. on the other hand, it is a better purpose putting it on wiki. just like Linus Torvalds talks about Linux. Linux is not the ultimate product that he proud of bringing in, rather it is the opensource concept. Linux is an icon of the opensource idea. but who knows one day Linux may fade out, but the opensource concept will last.
LzW-x
Call me a newbie here, and you're right! I am a newbie... So tell if I'm wrong in my following assumptions.

frihost is a completely new concept that I've never seen before! They are taking adverting to a new level... All of the annoyance and sleaze factor once associated with web advertising as been removed!

- Web hosting in exchange for advertising... Been done 10 trillion times before...

- Real content for the sake of SEO? Hmmm, relatively new concept... It replaces the "lets trick the search engine" idea.

- Web hosting in exchange for real content with perhaps an eye for SEO? I've never heard of this before! And it is all centralized around a forum with a point system!

When I first encountered frihost, it kind of weirded me out! I didn't know what to make of it and could not understand it because it did not match any preset concepts I had about web sites! I've never encountered any thing like it before!

If bondings is the man behind the site, he is breaking new ground here... New territory in multiple categories but it all adds up to a brand new business model in my opinion.

I found frihost on a google search because I thought I had an idea for making a web site but it is a complicated idea and I'm not sure I can do it or even want a site now... But the people who said try the forum and you will like it, they were right!

I discovered there are not only points but there are frih$ This is just like video game money! You can buy and sell things with other frihost members... (other players if you like) To me, I have come to see it as something like an MMORPG, a sort of virtual environment that allows you to do many things!

If I do put up a site, I plan on spending my frih$ right away... Oh boy, will I need some help with stuff!

Well, if you've read this far, I believe this thread had something to do with wikipedia... Yes! I see frihost being on wikipedia but you've all went about it in the wrong way I believe. (no offense)

What makes frihost special?
Why is it unique?
What is different about it?
What do the critics say?
Who is disaffected by it?
What are the facts and statistics?

As I said, I'm a newbie and I don't yet have frih hosting but I might get it if and when I ready... That said, frihost as a web hosting provider is the complete wrong way to do a wiki in my opinion! (I did not see the wiki before it was deleted)

I believe that a frihost wiki would probably belong in the "internet business" section rather then just web hosting because as I pointed out, frihost is completely unique... There could be a billion people out there with cpanel, who cares? But it's not what they are doing, it's how they are doing it that makes the difference...

I do see frihost being on wikipedia someday but for those that would right it, I ask you to keep the following in mind...

- Where does it belong on wikipedia? What will be it's parent category and what will be it's related items?

- You don't have to be unbiased to write a wiki but you have to be truthful and cover all aspects! For example: you could be a Ford fan but also acknowledge the fact that their SUV's roll over.

- Don't use what are called "weasel words" - For example: "frihost is known to be top rated" Known by who? known by what? Quote your sources!

Weasel words also obfuscate the point so avoid doing that... For example: "Frihost, a company which may concatenate the prefix of "fri" with the word host, is widely believed to be a web hosting company. Though experts continue to disagree on who invented the web, most people thing it was either AL Gore, or some spider that lives in the attic...

So then my opinion is that any future wiki attempts should concentrate on the unique business model of frihost... Rather then just another webhost that no one would care about! I would also put strong emphasis on the unique community involvement of the forum.
wimvpetegem
Ehm, why is frihost a totaly new concept?
Free webhosting is not totaly new..
reddishblue
Ad-Free webhosting has not been done too many times before...
peaceninja
It sounds like the relevance of Frihost has not been put across to wikipedia. I am still a noob, but I'm learning and am very interested in Frihost's "frihost dollars". I mean, this site is like a virtual market place really, and there's incentive that drives people to be part of a community. This can be written up in wikipedia without having to sound like we're trying to get a plug.

I may eventually put up my own article on wikipedia for Frihost as I do a lot of editing on wikipedia, but I'll wait until I get out of my Frihost noob stage. Before I do so. In the meantime I put up a request for an article on wikipedia here, and this was a request I put up *before* I ran into this thread (I did a search on Frihost to see if there was any effort to even put up a wikipedia, and apparently so!). Gotta love memes, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requested_articles/Business_and_Economics#E:

Frihost - Growing Internet Community with its own 'marketplace'
reddishblue
Um the money is more or less worthless if you will look in marketplace there is nothing to buy at the moment.
peaceninja
A market is any place where goods or services can be exchanged.

In Frihosts's case, people are getting logos designed for them in exchange for FRIH$. This is just one of a couple examples I've seen during my short time here. If this doesn't fit the definition of a market then I don't know what is.

It's quirks like this that will get Frihost an article entry in Wikipedia, I would write one myself if I was more experienced in Frihost but I'm not!
hostingguy
Haha wikepedia is for information on sites/things etc.
I don't think Frihost must be on WikiPedia/ Confused
TerrorBite
If the Wikipedia page has been deleted before, they're more likely to delete it again due to precedent.

It's been deleted enough times...

Quote:

* 00:24, 21 November 2006 Denni (Talk | contribs) deleted "FriHost" (CSD G4)
* 01:26, 20 November 2006 Cuivienen (Talk | contribs) deleted "FriHost" (A1, A7)
* 00:07, 20 November 2006 Denni (Talk | contribs) restored "FriHost" (14 revisions restored: {{hangon}} not honored)
* 23:48, 19 November 2006 Cholmes75 (Talk | contribs) deleted "FriHost" (csd g11, a7)
* 20:16, 19 November 2006 Martinp23 (Talk | contribs) deleted "FriHost" (blank page)
* 17:30, 19 November 2006 Wknight94 (Talk | contribs) deleted "FriHost" (WP:CSD#G11)

I suggest listing it on their "Requests for Articles" page, with reasons.
mathiaus
Please do not add Frihost to wikipedia at the moment. We need to wait until we have had media attention and then must first create a valid article before submission.

For now, try out aboutus.org.
TerrorBite
I posted the following on NostraM's user page:
TerrorBite on Wikipedia wrote:
I'd like to suggest that we work on a FriHost article in userspace, for example at User:TerrorBite/FriHost. The page won't get deleted, being in userspace. Then we get it checked by experienced Wikipedians. People can leave comments for improvement on User_talk:TerrorBite/Frihost.
Once the article is gets to the point where it is large enough, and it has been 'approved' by experienced Wikipedians, then it can be moved to the main wikispace.

Because the page is in what's called "userspace" (i.e. a subpage of a userpage) it shouldn't be deleted. It can still be edited by anyone, so we can collaboratively edit it. And finaly, there's a big box I put at the top of the article saying, in effect, "article in progress, DO NOT DELETE: post complaints and suggestions to the article's talk page."
As long as we conform to the rules, maybe get a few other people writing from a neutral "uninvolved" perspective, the sooner FriHost (or rather the concept behind it, which we should focus on) wil have an article.
[Cue applause]
mathiaus
TerrorBite wrote:
[Cue applause]
Applause
Excellent idea.
pashmina
I thinks its been deleted..
when i saw they wasn't any article on it.
squirrelmaster
no it hasn't (at least the userspace one)
it's at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:TerrorBite/FriHost, but it's not in the main wikipedia, but at least we have a chance to edit it Wink
spazbutt32
I think it's a good idea.

After all, if a good, non-biased article is written, then it should work just fine, the user base here is large enough.