FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Before Designing: Naming?

The Shogun
Okay, so I wasn't...entirely sure where to place this topic, but I figured this was the most applicable sections, since I didn't notice a "Brainstorming" subcategory, but anyway...

I've used the same website title for a while now. My website goes by the name "The Shogunate", since I go by "The Shogun", it seemed like a fitting choice. However, I've made the decision to be a little more...how should I say....direct? With my website. In that, there's really no reason to try and be cryptic or try to be cool with my alias. So if I drop "The Shogun", at least in reference to my website, the name because all too esoteric. That, and I don't really like it anymore.

So what I'm asking now is, what do you guys do to think of a website name? I've seen some interesting names and wonder, "Do they just slap random words together? Is there a meaning behind the name, or is it just meant to sound cool?" I'm not asking for you to come up with website names for me, but just wondering how you might go about deciding on a name.

Hehe, many of my past website ventures have been of the Fansite nature, so naming was easy. Now that I'm starting more of a..portfolio style, I need to come up with something more personal, yet still attention grabbing. By the way yeah, the website will be for display my creations, be it web, art, or musical.

Plus, I'd like to come up with a fresh name fore my fresh account here at frihost.

Thanks in advance!
Marston
I dunno, I usually find that listening to music helps me come up with ideas sometimes... I think the best thing to do is to find some sort of source from which you can derive some creativity, be it television, the internet, media, etc. I've also stolen product names and stuff for websites, which I find works pretty well.

Hope this wasn't too cryptic (I'm pretty tired at the moment). Wink
rein
Lots of designers these days use their own name as title on their portfolio site. It looks professional, and adds credibility to your site.
Especialy when you've got a nice, solid, international -but not too hard- sounding name; that'd be the way to go.

But what when you don't have one?
Once when i needed inspiration for names, i flipped open a wildlife encyclopedia and wrote down nice sounding bits of latin names. That could work too.
Good luck.
rein
Lots of designers these days use their own name as title on their portfolio site. It looks professional, and adds credibility to your site.
Especialy when you've got a nice, solid, international -but not too hard- sounding name; that'd be the way to go.

But what when you don't have one?
Once when i needed inspiration for names, i flipped open a wildlife encyclopedia and wrote down nice sounding bits of latin names. That could work too.
Good luck.
The Shogun
Hoho, I had thought of that. Unfortunately, my name is pretty bland and simple (Troy Bradley), so that's a no-go. I considered my old Gaelic name (Troighthach) but that would be too hard for most people to remember.

I suppose I could do a mix of an interest and my name...hmmm.

Thanks for the tips though! Any other help would be appreciated, guys!
rein
Where you see bland and simple, i see recognisable, easy to remember and internationaly appealing.
Nothing wrong with "troy bradley - design services"

A bad example of a solid yet easy name would be my own: Reinart Oste. It's hard to be sure what it's supposed to sound like, isn't it? Yours is no problem, even for non-english folk like me. Thus, yours is a trustworthy name. The form you present it in, can be as eccentric as you want. Content, however, should best be straightforward.
Dragate
The Shogun wrote:
Hoho, I had thought of that. Unfortunately, my name is pretty bland and simple (Troy Bradley), so that's a no-go. I considered my old Gaelic name (Troighthach) but that would be too hard for most people to remember.

I suppose I could do a mix of an interest and my name...hmmm.

Thanks for the tips though! Any other help would be appreciated, guys!

You are doing this for design right? As many of the tips given before cover most of my advice, I'll try to come up with one on the spot for you here...

Some people say you should use your name, and some say other stuff...

As you said, blend your name with something...
You can also use old-fashioned names like Hach Designs or something of the sort.

If you look at big company's now a days, it's like... google, yahoo, youtube, wallmart, t&x... those are werid if you think about it, but we've just seen them so much, it doesn't seem that much so.

I'm pretty sure, unless your name is really hurting to the ears, it's going to be fine... It doesn't have to be perfect...

like... dell... now that's... werid bell with a d in front O.O

GOOD LUCK
rfwrangler
You can try an anagram puzzle with the letters of your name and see what you come up with this may lead you to a name through those words or help you with coming up with another name.

Your name is Troy Bradley
so just some of the words that I can find are:

bot lord
bart daley
rad tore
bard tole

I know some of these are corny but if you continue I think that you may find something.

Good Luck with the naming.
The Shogun
Wow, thanks for the great response! I still haven't completely decided yet, but I'm trying to take your suggestions into consideration. One I came up with, at least for now as a theme title, is something along the lines of "T-Minor", since I really love music, and it will be a large part of my site. (Piano recordings, remixes, creations.)
eday2010
I like T-Minor. It's a delicious pun, and at the same time relates to what your site will be about and contains some artifact of your name. "Piano in T-Minor" would be cool too.
Dragonfly-online
As stated above, inspiration from latin names works well, and just everyday things as a name will work. Take, for instance, Dragonfly Design Studios. Deragonflies are cool. They make good logo possibilities. And a cool sounding name. See? Just choose something simple.

By the way, you can't take dragonfly. Thats mine.
z0rk
Not to hijack the thread, but rather to contribute too it as well. I too am stuck on a name title for a weblog I am interested in creating for myself. My current signature was essentially a test run idea. I feel as though the logo itself is lacking - and that I will post about in the photoshop forum. But still, I don't have a good slogan.

What are some of your slogans? so I can get an idea as to what the range of slogan/ website names are.