FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

having problem choosing

which is better
hp
100%
 100%  [ 2 ]
gateway
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

linexpert
hi
there is going to be a sale at bestbuy after thanksgiving and i need help deciding from the two notebooks below.

here are the two options:

1)
hp dv6108nr
price: 379.99 + tax
link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8045162&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat103700050014&id=1158317339111

2)
gateway mx6453
price: 699.99 + tax
link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8019832&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat103700050014&id=1157067806537

please help me choose. things to consider- price, speed, and quality.

thanks

btw, i'm leaning toward the hp because of the price Very Happy
Traveller
Years ago, I would have chosen the Gateway with no other questions. They had good products and great service. Sadly, that is not longer the case. Their products aren't bad, but their support isn't what it used to be.

I don't know HP's support, but have encountered a lot of their systems, and they have usually been very good. The one caveat I would mention, however, is that they tend to put a LOT of garbage onto the system, in the form of special, "easy" windows that include their own web-search tools which a number of the spyware checkers classify as spyware. Not only that, these things have been notoriously difficult to remove - something to which I can attest, since I have had to do so for a few friends, and it is always a BIG pain.
linexpert
i'm hearing that the hps have a huge backlight problem. Sad
Bones
Personally, I wouldn't buy from either company. I think if I were going to buy a laptop, I'd have to get one from IBM.
speedwaffle
idk on this one.

personally, i'd probably get the gateway if I HAD to get one of these two, simply for the amd processor. but, some friends have had good luck with HP for the laptops, and prior to custom building my custom machine, I had a hp desktop which was good.

try em out, see which one you like better, and if they're comparable, get the cheaper one.

Make sure to get some coverage for the screen though. If that goes bad, you'll be out more than you paid for the computer...
lukeropro
Bones wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't buy from either company. I think if I were going to buy a laptop, I'd have to get one from IBM.

It's lenovo now. I'm using an old ibm laptop and it's so darn slow but it's all I've got. And IBM/Lenovo never changes its laptop design, it's still the same, black.
eldon_r
I'm with Traveller on this one.

I'm a sysadmin for a private tertiary college in Australia, and here we used to buy Digital PCs, then switched to Gateway PCs and laptops before switching to back to [what was by now] Compaq and HP.

While it's true that Gateway were pretty good, in my opinion, moving to HP was a good idea. Gateway pulled out of the Australian market a while ago, and frankly, we haven't missed them, because their quality was seeming to go down at the end.

HP are our technology provider of choice across the board now, and their support (many good areas of which they inherited from Compaq and Digital) is outstanding.

All the best,
Eldon