FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Network/Bandwidth issues.

Lusiphur
I'm at a loss on how to solve this.

Basically, in our house we run a network, what I am looking for is a program that monitors comps usage of the bandwidth and if neccessary allow me to limit how much each comp can upload. An example being a universal limit of 2kps for people uploading.

Anyone know a free app that does this?

Thanks in advance.
odinsrealm
ideally would need to know what router ect u are running, type of connections ect.
please supply more information if you can
LethcanAernis
please also add what kind of OS you are using. In Macintosh you can specify how much resources you can take.
In some switches/routers set priority, more info.
andy26
with windows xp you can monitor the network use by bring up task manager do this by pressing ctrl + Alt + Del then go to the network tab and it will tell you the amount of network useage the computer your on is using and if other comps are conecting to a drive on the computer you can monitor the usage of that. plus im not sure if you can get a program that limits the use of bandwith unless your running a server or the internet is directly in your computer and then the router going from your computer to the others. but if there is away to controll bandwith from a router from you computer i would also like to know but i dont think it is possible.
andy26
actually i think iv just found it is posible as my router has settings that open up in a web page it told me how to do this in the manual
Lusiphur
Sorry for taking so long in replying.

It's a basic set up. Internet is set up in one comp running XP, shared through windowsICS to the 4 other comps (all also using XP) on the network.

Not using a router, although I am thinking about going wireless which means I will be picking one up.

If you need anymore info I can post pretty much as soon as I notice a reply.