FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PS3: Are you ready for it?

masudi
This goes out to all the real gamers and folks who simply demand the best out of their gaming consoles... Sony Computer Entertainment new re-invented PlayStation 3 Gaming Console is made to act, look and feel like is made for super gamers... With the blueray disc technology, data can be stored on a single blue-ray disc with the storage capacity of up to 50 GB! Currently, most of the titles on the latest current consoles, are made in dvd format which with dual-layer discs, occupies only 8.5GB of gaming data. With PS3, its not only about the 50GB data storage that matters... but the hardware components built in it. With most of the features making it to act as any of the latest fully-featured desktop workstation, the PS3 has generally an improved overall performance. So lets get ready to game on people! Prepare yourself as the makers of game-titles are busy trying to make the most out of the console...
mceejaydee
PS3 looks sooo niiiiiice. It's so freakin overpriced though. Seriously O.o 600$ for the X amount of GB.
Ghost900
Ok I know that it will start selling for $600 soon but I think it is so stupid too pay $3400 for it on ebay so you can have it 2 weeks early.

I just checked and I think I will get in line for the PS4 and sell in for 10X the money. Very Happy
rayx
The price has a meaning for the console like the hardware they have been used for the system.
theLOGANhole
I just can't believe people are lining up to sell it double what they paid for it. I mean, there are more people in line to buy it and sell it then people waiting in line to actually play the damm thing.

I think it will be fantastic but I will wait until a year for it reasons are:

Money
Make all the initial bugs come out...

Though the system is pretty cool, I mean it's got Cell technology and it's really looking slick.

Final point if I had money and time I would buy all three systems and plays them all, but since one is enough I'd go with PS3 even without testing it.
Cole
Quote:
Though the system is pretty cool, I mean it's got Cell technology and it's really looking slick.

The Cell technology really isn't that slick.
1.)Hard to program for.
2.)The main processor is basically an overclocked pentium 1.
3.)It's an In order Excecution processor.

Basically take all the advanced instruction sets of today's pc processors and throw them out. Now make it an in order excecution processor causing it to be horrible at gameplay code. This makes the processor cheap to make and good with working with the GPU.

Now take the main processor and give it incredibly small cache. Add in 8 of these to make up for the in order excecution and instruction sets gone. This makes the processor even harder to code for. Now lets cut off one of these SPE's to improve yields. Now lets dedicate another one to the OS(a whole one, why on earth!). Now you have 6 left. Now the OS can take one of these at any time which could cause some definete slow downs and now it's something that the programmer has to taken into account for which can ****** up a lot of things.
Now lets make the processor Asymmetric to make it even harder to program for.
Now lets add in a seperate compiler and system to run the code on the SPE's to even make it harder to program for.

Cell is not all it's cocked up and would be a horrible processor for the average computer and would never make it as a large scale PC processor due to how hard it is to develop for. However it is a great processor to work with the GPU and is somewhat cheap to produce

I'd also like to point out that the 360's processor is also in-order-excecution, throws out a lot of the instruction sets, and is equal to a overclocked multi core Pentium 1. However much easier to program for.

Both processors run gamecode at about 1.6ghz processor with a P4 processor.
roach831
i kind of like the ps3, the games ive played for it so far is Madden 07, Tony Hawk Project 8, and Resistance Fall Of Man, and they all are pretty good games i just wish that Tony Hawk Was online gaming to beat every one at skate and i also cant wait until need for speed cabon to come out and metal gear solid 4 and resident evill games and GTA 4
Sergiy
I live in the Europe and the PS3 come in Europe in March 2007 Evil or Very Mad
I'm waiting for it, and then I se what is better; PS3 or XBOX360
Now I have ps2 and it is better then XBOX Very Happy
arkebuzer
Why pay THAT much for for a PS3 than a XBOX360?
I´m not an expert in the matter, but from what I´ve read they seem to have about the same specs.
FaLLeN
I doubt ill be getting one, id rather get a new computer.
Alot of people say, why pay so much for a PC when you can just buy a PS3 and not have to upgrade and stuff, the simple answer is, cause thats what I!!!!!! want.

I know it will end up way dearer to go with a PC, but i just like them, i can use photoshop internet and countless other things. But with PS3 you still pay quite a hefty amount of money and all you do is play some games.

Also, my PC keeps me busy, i like finding little mods and stuff i can do, or trying to install new hardware, its kinda like a little hobby i guess.
Well thats my little rant, have fun with the PS3! Very Happy
angelussum
I'd have to agree. I'm saving up for a new computer, the PS3 is tempting and so so sweet, but it's too darn expensive. Not to mention I don't have a good set up to get the most out of it. Too darn bad. At least most games these days are released on many platforms, including PC.
evilryu530
just played with the ps3 today, it is damn awesome. way better than xobx 360 in graphics, also , i watched a movie on blue ray disc, on a plasma tv, it blows away hd dvd by 500%. just wait until the programmers know how to fully use blue ray tech in their games, ps3 will be the system of the future. wii is going to be awesome also in it's own rights. way innovative
DarkJad
"This goes out to all the real gamers and folks who simply demand the best out of their gaming consoles... Sony Computer Entertainment new re-invented PlayStation 3 Gaming Console is made to act, look and feel like is made for super gamers... With the blueray disc technology, data can be stored on a single blue-ray disc with the storage capacity of up to 50 GB! Currently, most of the titles on the latest current consoles, are made in dvd format which with dual-layer discs, occupies only 8.5GB of gaming data. With PS3, its not only about the 50GB data storage that matters... but the hardware components built in it. With most of the features making it to act as any of the latest fully-featured desktop workstation, the PS3 has generally an improved overall performance. So lets get ready to game on people! Prepare yourself as the makers of game-titles are busy trying to make the most out of the console..."

Wow, are you a salesman? I could go over the bad points of the PS3 of your post, and considering I have nothing else to do, I will!

1) "real gamers"? So let's see, first off, as a real gamer, I DO NOT want to be fed LIES by salespeople! A good Sony quote: "The Cell Processor is essentially as powerful as 3 Xbox 360 CPU ’s or 35 PlayStation® 2 CPU’s" (which IS a lie). If Sony can't sell their system with the truth, then how can I believe their hype about it's Cell processor? Remember that Kutarugi said that the PS2 would output Toy Story quality graphics.

2) As a real gamer, I want innovation from my products. Raw power (which is more difficult to use, according to devs) is NOT innovation.
3) Not only did you spell Blu-Ray wrong, but you also missed a major important fact - the PS3 accesses data from it's Blu-Ray drive at half the speed of an Xbox 360. In other words, for two identical games, the PS3's loading times will be twice as long. Probably longer - since devs won't bother to compress their data as efficiently, there will be more data to be read from the disc - so more data, and half as fast.
Oh, and all that great space on your discs? Well, since HD textures for a game don't take up nearly as much space as Sony would like (note that they almost never compare the actual size of games?) all of the space will be filled by either not compressing their data (which will only help show people how large they can make games) or by wasting space with unnecessarily long pre-rendered CG sequences.

4) "With most of the features making it to act as any of the latest fully-featured desktop workstation, the PS3 has generally an improved overall performance"
That does't even make sense. If it's a desktop workstation, it probably runs Microsoft Word, right? Hold on, it doesn't, so it's not a desktop workstation . . . not that being a workstation would improve it's performance any.

5) "Prepare yourself as the makers of game-titles are busy trying to make the most out of the console..."
Can I rewrite that for you? "Prepare yourself as the makers of game-titles are busy trying to figure out how the hell to develop for the console!"
Normally, I'd rewrite it using actual industry terms (developers, not 'makers of game-titles') but I wanted to preserve the . . . unique flair of your post, but fix the inaccuracy.

6) Talanted developers such as Denis Dyack believe the PS3 and Xbox 360 are equal (link)
Never heard of him? Lead developer for Silicon Knights, developers of Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem and Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes. So I think he knows his stuff.
I'm not trying to say that the 360's processor is as fast as the PS3s - but not only is the 360 to develop for, but it's improved memory means it can show more and higher detailed textures than the PS3 can; as well as having more particle effects and models onscreen.

7) The PS3's online interface is a joke. Don't just take my word for it, take this review. Hmm, so you have a friends list, but to send or read messages, you have to quit back to the XMB bar? So let's say I'm playing Resistance: Fall of Man and my good friend FanBoy1337 sends me a message. I have to quit my game, go to the XMB bar, navigate to the messages, and play the message. Which is probably FanBoy1337 asking me to join his game in Resistance. By the time my PS3 manages to load again, his game is full. Angry, I have to quit to tell him to boot somebody . . .
But wait! THAT SCENARIO IS ACTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE, because Resistance, Sony's big game, has it's own dedicated friends list, because Sony can't get their act together! So if my good friend FanBoy is playing Resistance and I'm in the XMB bar, I can't tell that he's online unless I load Resistance!
Even better, some games use the XFire system, and some don't! And some other games will be independent (like Resistance).
Total chaos.

8 ) The PS3's OS (which, as I said above, doesn't even allow in-game messaging) eats up a massive 100 mb of system memory. The 360 keeps 32 mb aside for its OS. And if you want to use the PS3's virtual keyboard (to enter your name in a game, create a profile, that sort of thing) it takes up another 16 mb. That's just silly.

I could go on, but I now have something to do. I'd like a PS3, but I wish people like you wouldn't be so blind about it.

-Jad
screamingdecay
No thank you, I'll stick with my 360 which can do everything ps3 can do.

Its a game system not a COMPUTER to run a OS or Web browse. I am not paying more for that or a few more GB of HDD space or even a bluray drive big deal.
Jeff_vella_leone
masudi wrote:
This goes out to all the real gamers and folks who simply demand the best out of their gaming consoles... Sony Computer Entertainment new re-invented PlayStation 3 Gaming Console is made to act, look and feel like is made for super gamers... With the blueray disc technology, data can be stored on a single blue-ray disc with the storage capacity of up to 50 GB! Currently, most of the titles on the latest current consoles, are made in dvd format which with dual-layer discs, occupies only 8.5GB of gaming data. With PS3, its not only about the 50GB data storage that matters... but the hardware components built in it. With most of the features making it to act as any of the latest fully-featured desktop workstation, the PS3 has generally an improved overall performance. So lets get ready to game on people! Prepare yourself as the makers of game-titles are busy trying to make the most out of the console...

pS3 is cool yet for those who have a cool pc wont go in mind on spending money on a consol
yet its too expensive for now
pc can server u for life a consol, there will be allways a better one yet its for the time beeing
i would rather prefair to get a new cpu rather than a ps3
though the ps3 look very cool on the other side
i have a playstation 1 playstation2 and i was happy with those yet ps3 will have to wait if ever im gonna get one
too happy playen FEAR and Oblivion fulll grafics with my cool pc and not counting all the online games im currently playen
ps3consolewar
mceejaydee wrote:
PS3 looks sooo niiiiiice. It's so freakin overpriced though. Seriously O.o 600$ for the X amount of GB.

the ps3 is now down to £300.00 with 2 games, 2 controllers, and an HDMI cable, that is cheaper than the 360 with its HD DVD add on (£415.00)

plus you can get a new ps3 for £200.00 on ebay.
ps3consolewar
screamingdecay wrote:
No thank you, I'll stick with my 360 which can do everything ps3 can do.

except....
surf the web
bluetooth (connect with mobile wirelessly)
free online gaming
blue ray (can hold more than HD DVD, so better)
no batteries needed for controller
no chunky add on needed
folding home (help with medical research)
motion sensing controllers (like wii)
memory card slot

if you disagree, PM me
ps3consolewar
screamingdecay wrote:
its a game system not a COMPUTER to run a OS or Web browse. I am not paying more for that or a few more GB of HDD space or even a bluray drive big deal.

you are not paying fot the run OS feature, or to go on the internet feature, so why not have it, after all it could come in handy, and you won't be saying "big deal" when blu ray disk takes over dvds and the ps3 comes out with extra features on its games and better graphics than the xbox 360, and dont say that the games are better on the xbox, i know that but the games were not excellent on the xbox when it first came out, anyway, this is sony's year.#

ps eye
ps home
mobile phone transfere software(like iTunes on ps3 and with your mobile)

and xbox has NOTHING exciting comming out 4 it !!!!!!! Twisted Evil
ps3consolewar
DarkJad wrote:
I have to quit my game, go to the XMB bar, navigate to the messages, and play the message. Which is probably FanBoy1337 asking me to join his game in Resistance. By the time my PS3 manages to load again, his game is full. Angry, I have to quit to tell him to boot somebody . . .

the ps3 gets updated (unlike xbox) and the next update you will be able to play backround music in games, go on the internet in games (try that on xbox 360)
and the thing that u were crying about, access the XMB in games!!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil d'oh! Razz

AND YOU CAN TALK 2 YOUR FRIENDS WHILE PLAYING RESISTANCE, LOOKS LIKE YOU NEED 2 GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT BEFORE YOU POST THINGS..... Mad Mad
ps3consolewar
Cons of xbox

scratches disks
no bluetooth
red ring of fire (breaksdown)
chunky add on
looks horrible
noisy
old fashoned cd drve
cand surf web
cant put an OS on it
no memory card slots
no HDMI support
all games have to fit on to an 8GB DVD, which means less levels and worse graphics
only 2 usb ports
pay for online play

and many more that i have either forgotton or i am not going 2 note...

PM me if u think of any or disagree....

ps3 cons

expensive?(only £300 with 2 games 2 controllers I HDMI cable, not very expensive now!!)

think of any more? PM me

xbox pros
good line up of games

Think of any more? PM me

ps3 pros
bluetooth
HDMI
motion sensing controller
need no batteries for controller
nice looking cd drive
looks great
free online
surf web
download full games off ps store
Playstation home
Folding home
Playstation eye
playstation eye create
(search them on google if u dont know what they are)
memory card reader
can play nearly all ps and ps2 games
gets updated so it is future proof
help and support built into ps3 (no emails and waiting needed!!)
most powerful console on earth (on paper)

if u think of any more or disagree, PM me
ps3consolewar
DarkJad wrote:
"real gamers"? So let's see, first off, as a real gamer, I DO NOT want to be fed LIES by salespeople! A good Sony quote: "The Cell Processor is essentially as powerful as 3 Xbox 360 CPU ’s or 35 PlayStation® 2 CPU’s" (which IS a lie).

a lie?, you are just jealous and cannot admit that the pss is going to THRASH the xbox 360 this year, just like the ps2 did to the xbox.

like father, like son

the ps2 thrashed the xbox
the ps3 will thrash the xbox 360

PM me if you want 2 find out more..... but of course, u wont because u know that you have nothing 2 say bad about the ps3 that i cant say about the xbox 360
Surprised Surprised Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Mad Razz
ZeroXD
There's already a ton of threads on this console versus another console, so there's no need to keep updating this thread with meaningless attempts to start a console war/Flame thread/fanboy thread.

ps3consolewar, you shouldn't be double/triple posting, if you have something to say, keep it all in a post until someone else replies to it. What your doing is basically spamming and against the rules.

Plus this thread has been dead for over a year now.
carlokes
Hi there,

Oh yeah baby, i am more than ready to get it as soon as i see modchips around so that the price of the console drops (no no i'm not getting a modchip, i want to play on the net) Smile

Besides, its not just a console, its a BlueRay reader and since my old dvd player is asking for a retirement I think its about time to get one.

Stay Cool
Jeff_vella_leone
ps3consolewar wrote:
DarkJad wrote:
"real gamers"? So let's see, first off, as a real gamer, I DO NOT want to be fed LIES by salespeople! A good Sony quote: "The Cell Processor is essentially as powerful as 3 Xbox 360 CPU ’s or 35 PlayStation® 2 CPU’s" (which IS a lie).

a lie?, you are just jealous and cannot admit that the pss is going to THRASH the xbox 360 this year, just like the ps2 did to the xbox.

like father, like son

the ps2 thrashed the xbox
the ps3 will thrash the xbox 360

PM me if you want 2 find out more..... but of course, u wont because u know that you have nothing 2 say bad about the ps3 that i cant say about the xbox 360
Surprised Surprised Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Mad Razz

well i would prefair a ps3 instead of a 360 if they had a decent game on ps3
im a fan of halo and i bleave that halo 3 is what is keeping xbox alive
but we have to say it all
did you know that the current ps3 was actually the model for ps4?
infact the real ps3 launch was canceled because the xbox was better thus sony postponed the release of it and strived hard to finish the ps4 model which is now the current ps3 which i have to say its better then xbox
enygmasoft
I must this the first time in my life I don't feel prepared TV wise. I have a 27" CRT that needs updating. I have been looking forward to getting a Nice 40" Sony Bravia LCD TV, with 1080p support, everything a Videophile needs to do the PS3 justice. I am hard pressed not to get the system before the TV. I need to do the job properly, because I also see the PS3 as a cheap Blue Ray player. and we all know blue ray needs 1080p and sony TV's rule in this department.
eday2010
ps3consolewar wrote:

ps3 cons

expensive?(only £300 with 2 games 2 controllers I HDMI cable, not very expensive now!!)

think of any more? PM me

Here's one: the fact that it doesn't really offer anything new. It's the same old controller, almost the same old controls, with the same kinds of games that just look nicer.

ps3consolewar wrote:

ps3 pros
bluetooth
HDMI
motion sensing controller
need no batteries for controller
nice looking cd drive
looks great
free online
surf web
download full games off ps store
Playstation home
Folding home
Playstation eye
playstation eye create
(search them on google if u dont know what they are)
memory card reader
can play nearly all ps and ps2 games
gets updated so it is future proof
help and support built into ps3 (no emails and waiting needed!!)
most powerful console on earth (on paper)

if u think of any more or disagree, PM me

Let's look at the PS3 "pros" that are not actually pros:

Bluetooth...how does that make games more fun? Who cares about Bluetooth. You can't tell the controlelr connects by Bluetooth when you are playing, so who give a shit?
motion sensing controller...half a pro: pro over xbox 360, but not a pro over the Wii's superior motion sensing
need no batteries for controller...no, you just have to plug it in to the console with a USB cord. I'd rather have batteries that can be swapped out.
nice looking cd drive...???. Whatever that means. Definately not a reason to buy a console. a "nice looking cd drive" doesn't boost the enjoyment of games.
looks great...it looks like a George Foreman Grill and is WAY too big.
all the online stuff you mentioned...Free is good, but the rest isn't a pro since you can do that stuff on the other two systems. Nice Try.
memory card reader...because being able to read 8 media card types will those those PS3 games become more fun Rolling Eyes
gets updated so it is future proof...not a pro; all systems have that.
most powerful console on earth (on paper)...again, not a pro. On paper it may be the most powerful, but in the real world it probably can't acheive that theoretical power. Not to mention that all the power in the world won't help bad games be better. A system is only as good as the games on it. Smarten up.
Fire Boar
ps3consolewar wrote:
mceejaydee wrote:

the ps3 is now down to £300.00 with 2 games, 2 controllers, and an HDMI cable, that is cheaper than the 360 with its HD DVD add on (£415.00)

plus you can get a new ps3 for £200.00 on ebay.

Indeed. It is selling so incredibly badly in England that they had to cut the price just to lug the things off the shelves. The Wii on the other hand is sold out, and in production at maximum capacity (1.8 million units per month, if I recall correctly, or it might be 18 million).
eday2010
The thing is you don't NEED the HD-DVD add-on for the 360 to play games. so that comparison is moot. Not to mention anyone following the format war knows that HD-DVD is on its wat out. And the last time I checked, people bought game consoles to play games, not watch movies.
Fire Boar
I've just noticed... this "ps3consolewar" person has posted six times within 40 minutes on this topic, , each time flaming anyone who "dares" to criticize the PS3 and who "has the insolence" to point out the many flaws and lackings of Sony's not-doing-very-well console. Whoops.
mattchun
it's too expensive i think
eday2010
Where is a moderator when you need one? He posted 6 times in a row. I was pretty sure double posting was discouraged around here.
Arnie
Chad Warden syndrome?