FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Web 2.0... tips?

kevinalle
Hi.
I was wondering if anyone here has some tips about web 2.0 design.
I tryed searching google. But there´s not THAT much out there.
If anyone can tell me... What is important when thinking about a web 2.0 DESIGN (I´m not intrested in AJAX and functionality right now).
I tryed to make a "web 2.0" font. Do You think one can call this web 2.0?

Or, we have this image...

Is this background adequate?

Thank you!
Roald
What is Web 2.0?
sceptileex
Well web2.0, theres no real definition. If you see the sites like youtube and flickr etc. etc. the only noticeable trend would be lessay white backgrounds and 3-4 colors on the whole site. Thats all i can say tho, stick with 3 main colors. Web 2.0 is more to define their content tho, user-interactive based

check out http://www.webdesignfromscratch.com/current-style.cfm
Donutey
Web 2.0 is (generally) about functionality and slim minimalist design, and always having a logo with beta underneath it... Rolling Eyes
Roald
Looks like some kind of cool design. Waaw Rolling Eyes
dzign
This is very nice website, minimalist yet futuristic. Regarding to the font for web 2.0, will it have reflection underneath it? If that kind of font for small amount of text, that would be great, but for big amount of text, I think it would be "too much". I suggest to not using reflection for the copy body, except (maybe) if we use enough line height to separate from one line ot another. But, you can give a try Smile Probably we can focus more on the readibility matter if we want to design font ? Then, adding some "extra" decoration can be done after that for small portion of text

that's what my opinion on the font thing Smile
Marston
From what I've seen, most web 2.0 designs go with a base color; usually white or black (used in the background of the page), and then one or two other colors which compliment eachother well, to be used in design elements and/or type faces. Generally, sans-serif fonts are used. Big, chunky buttons, gradients, and icons are pretty popular in web 2.0 design. Design emphisizes (spelling?) usually on content, with a minimalistic, usually futuristic or slick unobtrusive user interface.

In the end, there are no real guidlines as to what web 2.0 really is, or how a web 2.0 site should be designed. Try searching for "web 2.0 applications" on google; this should return a few hits for webpages which have compiled a list of pretty popular web 2.0 application websites (such as flickr, for example). If you study these websites, you'll probably have a pretty good sense of what web 2.0 really is.

In my opinion, web 2.0 "design" is really less about the graphical/aesthic elements of the webpage, and more about how everything is laid out - lots of whitespace is used, few colors are generally used.

Good luck with web 2.0 Razz.
kevinalle
of course this font is not meant for body text.
I just use it for some titles.
I understand whitespace, but I find it a bit difficult to put these colors in the design.. I'll continue trying,
Thank you for your time,
Kevin
ashok
Donutey wrote:
Web 2.0 is (generally) about functionality and slim minimalist design, and always having a logo with beta underneath it... Rolling Eyes

very funny Laughing
Kirth
kevinalle wrote:
Hi.
I was wondering if anyone here has some tips about web 2.0 design.
I tryed searching google. But there´s not THAT much out there.
If anyone can tell me... What is important when thinking about a web 2.0 DESIGN (I´m not intrested in AJAX and functionality right now).
I tryed to make a "web 2.0" font. Do You think one can call this web 2.0?

Or, we have this image...

Is this background adequate?

Thank you!

Whell, first. Web2.0 isn't about the design style.
(but the new way its coded, and a liiiil bit design Razz)
Second, web2.0 txt, is smooth.
So not the first one. (Since its pixeled Sad)

~Regards, Kirth
kevinalle
You are right..
I read web 2.0 is rounded and smooth.
Does anyone know about a font that can be used in web 2.0?
Thanks,
K
budazz
try to look the website of flickr is a good example of web 2.0
tkGER
A good web 2.0 example is mozilla.com.
They combine web 2.0 techniques and make a nice design. Remember you mus have lots of whitespace, rounded corners, reflections, glossy effect, big font, etc.
Your work is nice but needs some work to make it real web 2.0.
nimo
I agree with the preceeding replies, but I think that maybe you should only use this font for the title/menus, because it might become unviewable in smaller sizes.

by the way: if you're designing your own font, don't you want it to be more... radical?
I liked the creativity on the first one, use it to truly make you OWN font!
kevinalle
Yes, this is obviously a font for titles.
The only thing I took from others is the letter type, and i'm not designing a font, I'm just making my website look better!
Thanks
kuyman
The best thing I can suggest is not to design to fit in with other websites, but design in a way that can best deliver the content to the visitors. If you find the best way to do this is through a Web 2.0 type style, then go for it. But don't just design the site to look pretty, there has to be content or the site is useless.
XXcoderz
Ithink web 2.0 meaning the web sites which using css & Ajax
Why?simply the thing which made jump in using web ajax
Web2.0 like yahoo and microsoft.com many other sites
kevinalle
ok, so AJAX is the answer.
Is there a good (not too long) tutorial about ajax out there?
If anyone knows a good link its welcome,
Thanks!
TheGeek
I usually think of "Web2.0" as a clever marketing scheme to sort of get the average user to know the difference between a regular html website and an AJAX or some kind of dynamic content site. In order to make a site that can be considered "web2.0" you probably need to make it using purely an AJAX/XHTML design and if not then you might be able to do it with some clever Javascript combined with HTML, but you really need to use AJAX to get the effect that a real web2.0 site has where you can do things and the page never really reloads...Think of it sort of working like a website made of Macromedia Flash, but...not using flash
kevinalle
thanks.
So all I can do is learn ajax.
i ask again... any good tutorial out there?
Thanks for commnting,
K
FunDa
What is Web 2.0 anyway ???

Confused Is it about whitespace and rounded buttons ?

Is it about AJAX and stuff ? Cool

Is it about putting Beta in the logo Laughing Question Laughing

Or is it all of thenm together just like that ?