FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

gergauss

tkGER
I've started making my own web page, helped by some friends. It hasn't got much info in it yet, but still...
The idea is to use it for showing things of my creation in it, and for people to comment about it, ask me to do something for them or give me advice for future works.
The URL is http://www.gergauss.com.ar
I've been thinking of remaking it (as it's still in its infancy) and do it completely in Flash. Do you think it's a viable option?

Leave your suggestions or comments Wink
sceptileex
The design is alright, the buttons could do with a remake, the website is pretty flash based already if you ask me, dont see any need to make the whole website flash based. Flash based websites have their own disadvantages, so i generally dont recommend people to make full flash websites.
SamiTheBerber
tkGER wrote:
I've started making my own web page, helped by some friends. It hasn't got much info in it yet, but still...
The idea is to use it for showing things of my creation in it, and for people to comment about it, ask me to do something for them or give me advice for future works.
The URL is http://www.gergauss.com.ar
I've been thinking of remaking it (as it's still in its infancy) and do it completely in Flash. Do you think it's a viable option?

Leave your suggestions or comments Wink

Site works and looks nice. Only few coding mistakes can be found.
1. There isn't any height atribute, use css to make that.
2. Use <br /> instead of <br>

Language is different between guestbook and rest of site.

My rate is 4/5 to personal website.
tkGER
Thanks for telling me about the coding mistakes Wink
I'll correct them as soon as I can.
I've decided to doing it again in a flash version. I'll upload some previews soon. Cool
Hunterseaker
If i were you I would remake the site....
You hardly have a layout now....
The flash is funnu tho the buttons aren't very good.....
I like simple sites tho this is to simple and the buttons are I hate to say it tho the buttons are just ugly....
jayzee
nice try but it needs improvements..
LzW-x
I've seen worse buttons, much worse... The one button on there now, I thought looked OK but maybe you could give it a mouse over for fancy effect? Mouse overs are not right for every sight though. If you have other significant overhead, dial up users will just see blank image place holders for a long while until the whole site loads.

I did not see the flash part because I'm not using that plugin since I am a dial up user and SWF files can get very large! That's one of the main reasons I avoid using IE because flash comes with windows but it is an older version and IE is triggered to automatically and silently download new shockwave flash setup files and then ask if you want to install them after they are downloaded!

Over time, that can lead to gigs of wasted bandwidth downloading CAB files on dial up! There is a way you can detect if a visitor has a flash enabled browser and show a different page to ones who do not... Perhaps by querying the browser header fields or something.

I've never used flash but if you google it, you can probably find a free script or something for detecting flash... It's like when they use to make separate pages for browsers that did not support frames! I think they only do that for search engines to crawl now, if at all. It has been awhile since I've seen a google search result page where half the links say "This site requires frames but your browser does not support them" although that use to be quite common to see in search results.
tkGER
Thanks everyone for their comments.

I know it's sometimes a problem for dial-up users to see a flash-based site, as I am one of them myself. Nevertheless, I decided to do it so. I had never thought of doing an alternate no-flash site, but it's a very plausible option for those like me without a good internet connection.

But I'm 100% sure about doing it in flash (I've already started and it's looking real good, not like the one I've online now, hehe). Anyone who has seen rockstargames' site can tell it's much more attractive than any other site Cool (no ad intended, it's just that the interface is soooo cool...)

I'll be uploading a preview of the new site in a short time.

Just one more question... should I also do an english version for the non-spanish speaking??

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their comments Cool

ps: I know the buttons are ugly Laughing ... And they won't be in the final version Razz
tkGER
Hello people, been busy working on the site, I think it is almost ready now. I should be loading it up in no more than two months. I desperately need broadband!!! I've been working offline all this time and forgot to participate in the forums once in a while, hope I don't lose the hosting.
Anyway, the site has changed completely, but I must still make some corrections.
And questions. As you might have seen, the site is in spanish, but I thought of doing it also in english and german. Do you think it is worth it? Because otherwise most of the people won't understand what the idea of the site is, but then, I must translate EVERYTHING and that would take its time Razz

Hope to see some replies on that
tkGER
ok now, I have updated the site, it's still kind of a mess, I remade it with NVU which put all the links as absolutes, so the site is loading animations from my computer... if only they loaded, as it usually happens they don't.
Anyway it's quite a new look for the site, I just need to "polish" it a bit... Take a look anyway (it's still only in spanish, but I'll do the english version soon)