FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My ISP uses a Cache server, any way to force it to refresh

shenyl
My Frih site was updated, but I am unable to view it properly, as I discovered from my apache server log (using IP address and WHOIS) that my ISP has a cache server installed.

Is there any way, I can do to make the cache refresh, so that I can view my updated site.

When I use anonymouse (Free proxy server), I can see my updated web page. But not all my web pages are updated when I view them directly.

Suggestions please.
biljap
I don’t know about this, but would changing meta tags help? Question
There are meta tags which enforce pages to refresh…
ChrisCh
When you are on the page that you want to refresh, do a Ctrl+F5 Smile F5 is a normal refresh, while Ctrl+F5 reloads everything about the page (inc. images). My ISP uses Squid (with web-caching) and Ctrl+F5 works for me Smile
shenyl
Thank you all for your feedbacks, I will be uploading new materials to my website, will try the Ctrl F5, to check if I can force the ISP cache to reload.

Will post when I have tried it.

With regards.
shenyl
I have given up, trying to get the refresh I needed.

Your highlighting of the Ctrl F5, have solved my problem with the ISP cache.

It is now wonderful to be able to see instant refresh of my personal website, when I ftp my changes.

Thank you.

My web site is at http://shenyl.frih.net, do give feedbacks if you have any.
ChrisCh
Glad it worked for you Smile If you don't want to have to Ctrl+F5 all the time just to see updates, you can include this in the <head> area on your HTML pages:
Code:
<meta http-equiv="pragma" content="nocache">

It (hopefully) will prevents it from being stored in caches, therefore retrieving the latest version of the page everytime that it's visited Smile
shenyl
Thank you ChrisCH, for a new meta tag.

I do not want a slow download each time, as such, I am satisfied with your earlier advice of Ctrl F5.

Thank you, sure sometime later I can use this meta tag.

With regards.
MadeinIndia
Everytime you want to see fresh content and bypass the server cache, all you have to do is type a ? after the url, for example, http://www.frihost.com/?

That will bring you the updated content. Very simple.
shenyl
Not too sure, as the ? is used as start of inline arguments to be passed to the web server.

Maybe the start of inline argument will force the server to treat it as a different browser request. Not sure.

But for specific page to be refresh, then we need to put
url/page.html?

But for forcing the cache server to refresh, I will stick to Ctrl F5,
it works.

Thanks.
MadeinIndia
For the specific page it should be www.domain.com/page.html/?

Well..this works too...as long as you got what you wanted....cool!
shenyl
Quote:
For the specific page it should be www.domain.com/page.html/?

Well..this works too...as long as you got what you wanted....cool!

You cannot use page.html/?
You can use page.html?
Without the / - as / is treated as part of the URL path.

You can see the use of inline argument on your url address of this page forums/xxxxx.php?nnnnnnnn

Thanks I will try it the next time I update my web site.
swizzy
never use meta refresh... its soils up your ranking in SE. instead use php headers (via .htaccess) to modify last modified header
shenyl
Quote:
never use meta refresh... its soils up your ranking in SE. instead use php headers (via .htaccess) to modify last modified header

Swizzy, I guess you mis-read our discussions, it is about forcing refresh on the ISP proxy cache.

I have a web site on Frihost, and often when I updated it, I need to see the updated pages. But my ISP proxy always sent back the old cached pages, which does not reflect the updated contents.

Some members suggested CTRL F5 and it works well to force a refresh on the ISP proxy cache.

Another suggested using the URL inline argument (?), but without any parameter to pass to the server.

Thank you for highlighting the possibility of meta tag and php for forcing page refresh. But this is not what I needed.
friuser
you can install your own dns servers and than you wouldn't have a problem with your isp caching your sites. btw. only bad isps cache sites. it must be part of dialup plan for them to do something like that.
shenyl
Quote:
you can install your own dns servers and than you wouldn't have a problem with your isp caching your sites. btw. only bad isps cache sites. it must be part of dialup plan for them to do something like that.

I am not sure of how the DNS (Domain Name Server) can prevent ISP caching of web access? DNS is used to translate (resolve) domain names (such as www.frihost.com) into IP addresses, as on the Internet the routers only understand IP addressing not domain names.

As far as my limited knowledge concern DNS has nothing to do with by-passing ISP.

I am connected to my ISP via an ADSL line - the ISP can place a proxy at the immediate end of my local line connection, and I have no way to by-pass it.

China has place proxy servers in ISP to monitor the politically inclined web traffic, same here in Singapore.

In fact, I have just added an ISP proxy filter service to my ADSL Internet connection to prevent surfing to undesirable sites.

Proxy servers has many purposes and not all these are bad, of course the intend to monitor politically inclined web traffics is definitely wrong.

Thanks, and I am not defending any issues, but simply seek to clarify some of them, and of course gain some frih points.