FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

CDMA vs GSM

dickyzin
What's the difference between CDMA and GSM networks?
abhishek_2410
cdma is much advanced technology than gsm used in mobile phones.both these technologies r used to transmit data and voice calls .cdma quality is said to be better than gsm.but cdma sets can be used for only a single network.for using it with another network u need to reprogram it.while gsm sets can be used on various networks by just changing the sim card .
varun_dodla
This is a far general question to be asked in modern day. Google should give you loads of information on this. Any book on mobile communications also will help.
Just understand that one major difference is tht in CDMA you have a single band of frequencies used by everyone and this is achieved by giving a separate code to everyone while in GSM the whole band of frequencies is divided into channels. This give an advantage to CDMA over GSM that CDMA has very less clogging of voice channels.
Hope should helps.
xerosyne
GSM is a time multiplexed system where individual users are assigned timeslots from specific frequencies spread throughout the network. GSM is limited by the number of frequencies available to the network operator and their geographical distribution and density.

CDMA divides subscriber channels up using uniquely assigned codes all over a common frequency. Users retrieve/send their data by correlating their known code against the recieved signal. As more users are connected the more they interfere with each other making CDMA an interference limited system.

CDMA is a more "advanced", newer technology but it is based on proprietary techniques and its implementation has been poor, to date. GSM is based on open standards and well understood and defined technology and has had widespread adoption. GSM was designed for voice and cannot support high speed data natively.

3G technologies are based in CDMA with defined evolution paths for both current CDMA and GSM providers.

Wikipedia's articles on this are quite good and there is a surprisingly large pool of technical documents about the two online.
dickyzin
Can I use a 3G enabled phone such as Nokia 6388, under the CDMA network? I know that 3G enabled phones can be used under GSM network.
internetjobs
now i clearly got information about CDMA, but i have one doubt shall i use GSM cell phone on CDMA network... and tell me one CDMA network provider.. i am using airtel.. is airtel support both GSM and CDMA...

then tell me about GPRS... i want to know more about GPRS..
bongoman
I personally think GSM is a better technology maybe not technically as been said here, but better in the sense that it is a more open standard than some of the other technologies out there like CDMA. The end user has allot more choices as to which handsets you'd like to use and which provider they can choose to go with. (although many GSM providers don't play nice with this area and choose to needlessly lock the phones they sell to work only on their network, but 90% of the time they can be unlocked). CDMA is a little more complicated when it comes to upgrading handsets, you have to take it to your cell phone provider and have the phone re-programed. As for GPRS it is a high speed data transmission standard used by wireless phone providers GPRS is specifically used for GSM while the equivalent on CDMA is EVDO/1xEVDO
abhishek_2410
cdma is better than gsm in terms of voice quality and it offers a lot of features as well.also the data speed in cdma is faster than gsm.there r less congestion and call failures in cdma as in india cdma companies are given more spectrum og course it depends on network too.but in india with cdma there r very limited choices as no of companies providing cdma s very less.so i wud suggest to go for gsm as it provides more choices.but if u want to stick with a single network then only go for cdma .
dickyzin
I've seen CDMA handsets without a sim card. I assume you have to type in the settings of the network. What happens if you want to change your handset? Does the network allow duplicate lines?
xxilim
CDMA is getting phased out where i am, within the next 3 years as far as i know.

Telstra is implementing a new network called next g or what ever which supports streamed TV, even though 3g does this already next g goes one step better.

I have a GSM/3G phone atm and it seems to work well, my father uses a CDMA phone and the only advantage over that i believe is it's wider geographical network coverage, specialy good out here I must say.
kiranaghor
CDMA is more advanced than GSM but it is proprietory so it sucks bigtime!
dickyzin
I also thought 3G and Next Gen were the same. How is Next Gen a step better?
corey
With cellphones, I always ask myself why the person asked the original question. Why didn't you ask your provider if they supported the product? Why are you asking us on this forum? We wouldn't know!

These questions are assuming that the provider won't have a sales incentive in their answers, which is untrue.

Cellphones are the biggest rip off out there, as they are set for narrow network use (for profit, of course).
bhama
dickyzin wrote:

CDMA(Code Division Multiple Access) is a digital cellular technology that uses spread-spectrum techniques.CDMA consistently provides better capacity for voice and data communications than other commercial mobile technologies, allowing more subscribers to connect at any given time, and it is the common platform on which 3G technologies are built.It doesn't have sim card.
The reason for more GSM usage is that the international Roaming of GSM is Very good and it has sim card,So you can easily swap your sim card when you need.If we got a locked phone means we can unlock it by getting the unlocking service from any one of the online service provider like UnBBLock.com
Sajupm
abhishek_2410 wrote:
cdma sets can be used for only a single network.for using it with another network u need to reprogram it.while gsm sets can be used on various networks by just changing the sim card .

Now a day CDMA sets can also be used like GSM sets but the future are limited the internet speed is very low in CDMA compared to GSM..

But when it comes to security CDMA wins.....
GSM is very weak in security anyone who knows about it can trace any call.... But in CDMA it is much harder....
Sajupm
bhama wrote:
dickyzin wrote:

CDMA(Code Division Multiple Access) is a digital cellular technology that uses spread-spectrum techniques.CDMA consistently provides better capacity for voice and data communications than other commercial mobile technologies, allowing more subscribers to connect at any given time, and it is the common platform on which 3G technologies are built.It doesn't have sim card.
The reason for more GSM usage is that the international Roaming of GSM is Very good and it has sim card,So you can easily swap your sim card when you need.If we got a locked phone means we can unlock it by getting the unlocking service from any one of the online service provider like UnBBLock.com

No man now a days we use sim card in CDMA also.....