FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Java vs. C++

Java or C++?
Java
33%
 33%  [ 12 ]
C++
66%
 66%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 36

MeTHoD-X
Do we have any programmers in here that have a preference...

Java allows 'easier' working because a lot of the libraries are already made for you.

C++ allows the user to make exactly what they want, how they want it, with much more time needed most of the time...

Let me know what you think ?
varun_dodla
I'm a software developer and like anyone else have my own preferences. I prefer Java over C++ . Yes!! Java has a whole lot of readily available libraries and with free development kits like Eclipse coding and debugging in Java is very easy.
Also I feel why anyone should prefer a language is tht he is comfortable with it.
umeshtangnu
well it depends upon what u r developing
well i would not use java on a application that requires speed
also i would not use c++ for gui development
so both languages have their positive and negative points and it in the end depends upon the programmer and the work
rooparam
umeshtangnu wrote:
well it depends upon what u r developing
well i would not use java on a application that requires speed
so both languages have their positive and negative points and it in the end depends upon the programmer and the work

he is right. we can't compare java v/s c++ because both have their advantages and disadvantages .
blueray
That's depends on what type of apps will be written.

Actually I prefer Java for the moderm programming. Now everything require fast, fast and fast to build-up a application system. Most of the programs today almost be web enabled, even for desktop.

If a system build from c++, it would requires a big effort.
loosu
Performance , goes with C++ .
Portability goes with Java .

When efficiency is the keyword , go for c++ .

But when elegance is needed along with portability , then java is the answer .
mike_phi
Well I would prefer Java as a development environment, but I do agree its a bit hard to compare as C++ is better depending on the prirotity of the project i.e. performance/ legance and high speed development.

Jave has friendlier syntax and loads of already built "stable" utitliies is definately much better for high speed development with a professional look and feel, it would take a very experienced C++ programmer to knock up a application with the profesional look and feel where as a Java novice could probaly do the same in Java in less time.

I will not even get into portability and availability of Free tools here Java Rocks above any programming language I think.

none the less cheers for now
Studio Madcrow
Java is the better-designed language, but C++ is far more useful, what with the fact it generates native binary code and has massive numbers of available libraries. Seriously Objective C pwns them both, but old Mac OS X and GNUstep (an open source implementation of the same libraries at the core of OS X) can be programmed in it.
djclue917
umeshtangnu wrote:

Why? I don't see any reason why one should not use C++ for GUI development. Just take a look at QT and KDE.

rooparam wrote:
he is right. we can't compare java v/s c++ because both have their advantages and disadvantages .

That's actually a point in comparing Java and C++: because both have their own advantages and disadvantages...
djclue917
mike_phi wrote:
Jave has friendlier syntax

The fact that Java and C++ have similar syntax makes the comparison of syntax

Quote:
loads of already built "stable" utitliies is definately much better for high speed development with a professional look and feel

What do you mean by "stable" utilities? Do you mean libraries, toolkits, etc.?

Quote:
it would take a very experienced C++ programmer to knock up a application with the profesional look and feel where as a Java novice could probaly do the same in Java in less time.

I beg to disagree. There really many toolkits/libraries available for both Java and C++ and saying that only a very experienced C++ programmer can make a very professional looking application. Nowadays, making a "professional-looking" application is very easy. To put it simply, everything boils down to the code.

Quote:
I will not even get into portability and availability of Free tools here Java Rocks above any programming language I think.

It's true that Java may perform better in certain situations but saying that it "rocks" above any programming language (in all aspects, I assume) might be a hyperbole. The really great thing about Java is that you can write an app once, then run it "everywhere" (with the use of a Java VM of course).

By the way, you might want to take a look at the D programming language. In a nutshell, it's something like a C, C++, C#, and Java influenced language sporting a lot of features like garbage collection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D_programming_language

Here's a feature comparison table:

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/comparison.html
Alias
I prefer Java over C++ because its easy for me to program in Java.
Shin
I agree with the point made about how comfortable you are with them. To me they are just tools that do the similar job. If you are familiar with both tool, then you have to ask yourself which one is more important, performance or portability.
saurabh.sauron
i prefer both in combination. C++ for the core (it's very stable and fast.) and java for the GUI part. works well i think. though i have yet to develop something that can run like this. trying it out...
JayBee
I prefer C++ over Java. I have some bad experience with Java (some very slow Java programs with horrible unusable GUI - zend php developer)
When I want to create GUI it Is easier for me to do it in QT designer.
When I want to port some application from Linux to windows I just recompile it for that OS.
I like some features that Java don't have (pointers, over typing operators, ...).
I don't like some features that Java have.

(I was surprised with performance of same GUI program written in Java
with windows it was slow
but with Linux on the same machine it was as fast as native C++ program
I don't know why)
william
I program in both C++ and Java (along with many others) and I like both of them for their own reasons. If I had to choose only one, I would probably go with C++. OK, sure, Java takes less time and is much easier, but I can do a lot more with C++. Also, Java lacks some of the features I like. However, I still like Java and program in it regularly.
{name here}
Java as a programming language is a good concept as people say it improves on C in every way. However it's implementation is terrible with all its bloat when you can make a C++ program that is rediculously smaller and more efficient than a Java application. For this reason, I would prefer C++ to Java. However I program in neither since I like C better, and FreeBASIC even better than C in most circumstances.
Peterssidan
I prefer java but I hope it will be better. Faster and so on. Maby some good way to do standalone programs so you don't need to install java to use. it Maby it could be faster that way. The compiltor takes these part neded or something.
Maby with the open source java this will be someones interest to develop.
I want to do games in java but haven't done any big ones. But for a regular program I will be using java because I know it better and It's simple to use.
angelussum
I personally prefer java - haven't worked too much with C++ tho, so not sure how fair the comparison is. I do like the very nice and well documented api available for java Very Happy
coolsmile
Here is no contest, c++ is harder, but you can do an infininte number of things in c++ and java you need to run in a browser or an executable jar file. You can't make things like game boy games in java while in C++ you can (HAM compiler). C++ is used for consoles, computers, pretty much everything Smile
{name here}
coolsmile wrote:
Here is no contest, c++ is harder, but you can do an infininte number of things in c++ and java you need to run in a browser or an executable jar file. You can't make things like game boy games in java while in C++ you can (HAM compiler). C++ is used for consoles, computers, pretty much everything Smile

Java can make applications. Ever heard of Azerus and Eclipse? They both use java. The problem is both could be better and much less memory hogging if they used C++.
coolio
I find, C++ is better.
It isn´t so easy, but it´s better than Java
Boffel
C++ games cant be played in the browser, but java games can... So java is best! Laughing
MrBlueSky
coolsmile wrote:

Come on...

Java is used for applications, active server pages (JSP), server components (servlets), mobile devices like pda's and mobile phones (J2ME), embedded devices like setup boxes. It is also used as a scripting language for the AI in some games. It used for pretty much everyting.
icedrakon
java is object oriented with a vast libraries that make the job more easy.
C++ is more powerfull it doesnt have garbage colector but can do anything that java can classes methods() and versite...
mgorelkin
I would think a better comparisson would be between java and .net; what do people prefer? I'm a java developer myself, and prefer not to be tied to a company or an operating system, but I do see Microsoft adding a lot of features to .net that I wish existed in the JVM/JDK.

Max
hunnyhiteshseth
Personally I will prefer Java over C++. Although, I am more proficient in C++ than JAVA. pointers, files, graphics of C++ do not scare me.
But still i will prefer Java over C++ because:

1) Making GUI is easier. Although C++ also supports them through libraries but still GUI is much better supported in Java.

2) Networking support. Yes, C++ has libraries for it also. But, we have to admit that Java evolved after Internet and hence natively support networking.

3) Compile once--- Run anywhere. Laughing

4) There is no thing of C++ that i cannot do in Java. I just need JDK Documentation open.(To tell the truth, when i am out of practice, i even need to see how to get an integer as input in java in JDK Razz )