FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Intel GMA 950 help :(

munkey_boy
Hello I just got a new laptop and a couple of days later I found that the GMA 950 doesn't support CoD2 which is one of my favourite games and it also doesn't support Battlefield 2. Is there any patches or anything for these problems because I'm not very happy about this. For those who don't know GMA stands for Graphics Media Accelerator.
flameboy1974
Intel GMA 905 is pretty much just a enhanced onboard graphics adaptor. It comes with little, and mostly shared video memory. Support for any newer games is pretty much nil. If you just got the laptop you may still be able to return it. When you pick out a new one check to graphic adaptor this is one of the only things you can not change on a laptop. I would say look for at least Nvidia 6600 with 128 meg memory or something equal to it. You can go higher but it will cost you. Also make sure the video memory is deicated memory. The card won't use up the system memory and you will get much better performance.
mikethm
munkey_boy wrote:
Hello I just got a new laptop and a couple of days later I found that the GMA 950 doesn't support CoD2 which is one of my favourite games and it also doesn't support Battlefield 2. Is there any patches or anything for these problems because I'm not very happy about this. For those who don't know GMA stands for Graphics Media Accelerator.

Intel GMA950 is practically the lowest end mobile GPU you can find in a current generation laptop. As such, there is no solution for you. You can stop looking for one coz it is the weakest GPU around. You can practically expect Battlefield 2 to run at 1 frame per second even if you somehow manage to get it to run. In case you are unaware, you need at least 30FPS to have a game playable.

I feel for you but you should have done some research before making a purchase. Sad
askchris
One other solution is to check the intel website on a daily basis for graphics driver updates. Also make sure you have the latest version of directx loaded. If this still fails, you could use a program such as nLite to create a custom trimmed down version of Windows without all the crap and just the bits you need to run games. Otherwise as the previous posts have said, you will need a much better GPU as the one you have is low end, but as I say try the above if you cannot get a refund and a better quality gpu in your laptop.

All the best, and good luck.