FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Pink Prison Cells

wowz
Quote:
KANSAS CITY, Mo. - The experiment to see if the color pink calms jail inmates has been declared a failure in Kansas City. Scientific research has suggested that the pink jails make inmates less aggressive, and jails across the country have experimented with the idea. Just last week, the Dallas County Detention Center in Buffalo went pink.

But the Kansas City Police Department says it didn't work for them, and inmates will now reside in cells painted in back-to-the-basics institutional gray.

Kansas City tried the pink experiment when the research first came out in the early 1990s.

The Police Department covered the ceiling and door and part of the wall in the isolation room with a Pepto-Bismol shade of pink. Another cell was made bright pink. Door trims and moldings all around the jail were painted pink, accented with turquoise.

When Capt. Eric Winebrenner took over the Kansas City unit more than a year ago, he asked his 42 employees to recommend changes. They strongly suggested that he get rid of the pink, which had faded and peeled over the years.

The pink didn't have any discernible effect on the prisoners, who rarely spent more than 24 hours in the detention cell. But it really annoyed the employees.

So, last week, painters covered nearly all the pink.

Winebrenner decided to use paint already in police custody _ harbor gray for the floors, walls and bars, and dark royal blue on door trims and bunks.

Last week, Dallas County Sheriff Mike Rackley said he decided to use pink at his jail after inmates set fire to his jail in an escape attempt.

"Basically, if they are going to act like children and commit a childish act, then we'll make a childish atmosphere," he said.

Winebrenner said he would tell the sheriff to try it, but it didn't work in Kansas City.

"We've been ahead of the curve and now we're going back," Winebrenner said.

-associated press

Yeah, if anything, living in a pink cell would peeve me more than make me less aggressive. I'd definately be much more likely to tear someone's head off after sitting in a pink cell for a few hours than a grey one. Grey is actually a soothing color. Pink is a shade of red - red is an aggrivating color. Mayhaps they should have done research before starting their little experiment.

But I certainly aagree with the treating them like children part. Maybe paint a few calming flowers too. LOL

I hate pink.
Star Wars Fanatic
And have sesame street on....

Lmao, this is great, they spend money on Pink walls, but they let thousands of criminals go, someone needs to get his/her priorities straight.
dray101
wowz wrote:
Yeah, if anything, living in a pink cell would peeve me more than make me less aggressive

I hate pink.

Here, here

Star Wars Fanatic wrote:
Lmao, this is great, they spend money on Pink walls, but they let thousands of criminals go, someone needs to get his/her priorities straight.

HERE, HERE

Why is it that the people is power have no brains Question
WATCH WHO YOU VOTE FOR Exclamation

(the people in this forum seem smarter than your average politician Wink)
suntzu3500
wowz wrote:

Yeah, if anything, living in a pink cell would peeve me more than make me less aggressive. I'd definately be much more likely to tear someone's head off after sitting in a pink cell for a few hours than a grey one. Grey is actually a soothing color. Pink is a shade of red - red is an aggrivating color. Mayhaps they should have done research before starting their little experiment

Ditto... I'd be furious if I got stuck in a jail cell... a pink one would be even worse.
smarter
Having one plain color on all walls can be depressing be it pink or not.

It seems to me that a variety of light colors (sometimes with darker simple patterns) would be the best choice.

Other psychological tricks would also be good (Movies about ex-convicts being accepted back into society, winning trust/love from their families, getting respect for something good they do, etc)
Lord Klorel
The idea that prison cells will become pink. Shocked Shocked

I would get nuts when i should prisoned in such cell. I hate pink, such color is more for womans and ninny's. sorry that i offend someone, but that is my vision.
I still have the creeps when i am writing here. so i stop writing here.
sumangurung
i just cant understand how people can think that painting the colors of the wall with pink will help. To some weirdos it might but i am sure that wouldnt be much of a help.
Infact, sometimes people spend a whole lof of energy and money in some stupid stuffs when they can do much better.
Soulfire
I think the psychology behind it is that pink would be a calming color - regardless of how "peeved" you might be toward it.
nopaniers
Bluish grey seems much more calming to me... Pink seems the exact opposite.
simp
Pink jail cells? And you thought prisoners were only tortured at Guantanamo. . .

(Or Abu Ghraib. Or countless third world countries on the CIA dole.)
Tiger
I've heard this before that in certain mental institutions they paint the rooms and hallways pink to keep the patients calm. But in a prison, I really don't think the inmates or staff would be too impressed, as was already mentioned here.

As for those prisoners who are the "girlfriends" of other prisoners, I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate the pink either. Once you're in prison your choices are very limited, and the thing with gray paint is that it's pretty neutral and probably easier to live with and keep clean.
suntzu3500
simp wrote:
Pink jail cells? And you thought prisoners were only tortured at Guantanamo. . .

(Or Abu Ghraib. Or countless third world countries on the CIA dole.)

Or in countless other locations around the world, including by insurgents in Baghdad and in thousands of other locations. I'd like to remind people who say how horrible the CIA has allegedly been to look at an Amnesty International report on Iraq under Saddam Hussein.

Abu Ghraib was criminal. People are going to jail for it. Guantanamo there has been no proof of abuse other than the paranoid allegations of random civilians (which have been given way too much airtime by the US media). We're not the worst of the countries in this regard by far.

Another example, for instance, would be the French-Algerian war. Read a book about French Intelligence during that time....

(OOC: I realise this is off topic and I apologize, my on topic part of the post is below.)

Pink may or may not have a calming affect to prisoners mentally... if they don't think about it. People can get angry at things that have a calming effect by actually thinking about them. Psychological calming, mental anger.
LovE-RicH
Oh my, I'm really interested how this is going to work out.Smile
Wouldn't green or blue be a better choice?
HDirtwater
I think it's hilarious. Putting aside the calming part, men who wear pink, or live around pink, or have pink walls are considered sissies by other uneducated men. The shame of having pink walls is enough to keep them quiet (in some cases).

This is also used in the visiting locker room for a college football team (I think it's Iowa). They painted the visitor's locker room pink to distract them. Some teams complain about it a lot, which means it's working.
polarBear
It would be much more productive to make the ceiling drip small quantities of ketamine or Xanax.

Pink walls? ROFL
tony
a pink prison cell would make me more crazy. isnt the criminal justice system supposed to make ppl more sane?
arkebuzer
tony wrote:
a pink prison cell would make me more crazy. isnt the criminal justice system supposed to make ppl more sane?

Make them wear pink would probably be even more painfull Wink
A combo of those two would really own.
Star Wars Fanatic
dray101 wrote:
wowz wrote:
Yeah, if anything, living in a pink cell would peeve me more than make me less aggressive

I hate pink.

Here, here

Star Wars Fanatic wrote:

HERE, HERE

Why is it that the people is power have no brains Question
WATCH WHO YOU VOTE FOR Exclamation

(the people in this forum seem smarter than your average politician Wink)

I can't vote yet, so it doesn't matter Razz

arkebuzer wrote:
tony wrote:

Make them wear pink would probably be even more painfull Wink
A combo of those two would really own.

That would be great, we wouldn't have any criminals left cause they would kill themselves because they would have to wear pink (or they would just go naked).