FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

GIMP?

hellgod
do any of you use GIMP? you can use it for windows if you download the runtime envt. its cool n not resource hogging like PS..

get it from http://gimp.org
Defsanguje
Phil
I've been using GIMP for windows for a couple of years now and I've really been impresed with the stability of the last couple of releases. If it gets any better, Adobe may want to do some serious re-thinking of the price of their Photoshop. That what got me to try it out in the first place..... that it was free.
I have a list of GIMP sites here: http://phil.frihost.net/graph_lay.html

My personal favorite is http://www.GIMPTALK.com. A very informative site.
hellgod
ah thanks for the links phil was useful for me
althalus
On the contrary I think The GIMP is rather unstable. It could be becuase I'm running on Windows 98 (my old machine can't handle ps too well). I agree, it doesn't hog a lot of resources, but when it crashes for no apparant reason when trying to create a folder or overwrite an existing file... Wink
littlegiant
Yeah I also had some problems running Gimp on Windows 98. I've just recently upgraded to Win XP about 3 months ago (okay nobody laugh) so I'm eager to try it out on XP to see if I have the same issues. Next on my list.
snowboardalliance
I have GIMP on win98 and it's not too bad as far as stability. The features are good enough for me (I'm not gonna pay for ps)
SamiTheBerber
I use GIMP because it is free and it came with my linux. It is easy to use. I had to resize some pics at work, so I needed a program so GIMP was own in it, because I waste huge amount of money for something I use once ...
THE11thROCK™
Yeah, I think GIMP is good maybe better than Corel or PSP. But not better than PS CS. The thing is GIMP is free - it's the best deal with it. Very Happy
Tieskevo
THE11thROCK™ wrote:
Yeah, I think GIMP is good maybe better than Corel or PSP. But not better than PS CS. The thing is GIMP is free - it's the best deal with it. Very Happy

i totalyt agree with this, i use ps cs myself too!!
htmlmaster
I use the GIMP because it is free and I can't afford Photoshop, however it works nicely, would anyone happen to know how to use the script-fu logo text generator and plant that text on a background?
m7+
I use GIMP too, because it's very easy to use.
gecko
GIMP is great but... I prefer PS CS. But both are good (but PS is better Razz )
progman89
htmlmaster wrote:
I use the GIMP because it is free and I can't afford Photoshop, however it works nicely, would anyone happen to know how to use the script-fu logo text generator and plant that text on a background?

You just save the text as a separate image and then open it as a layer from the file menu when you're creating an image.

Joha
I use The Gimp..
But that is only cuse i do not want to pay licence fee on Photoshop for that little i use it...
If i was to use it professionally i would definitly go for PS..
The Gimp is too messy but includes some really cool scripting effects...

Just wanted to shout out my thoughts and believs about this Cool
JaeCee
I'd probably use GIMP if I didn't already have Photoshop
otaku
Has anyone played around with Gimpshop. It's alot easier to use than the original Gimp.

I use it cuase it's free, and i'm broke. Very Happy
pll
I don't use the gimp... now...

But For begin in design that's very a cool AND FREE software.
But I think after you want more...
Phil
otaku wrote:
Has anyone played around with Gimpshop. It's alot easier to use than the original Gimp.

I use it cuase it's free, and i'm broke. Very Happy

I tried GIMPshop a few months ago. At first I was really impressed- no floating windows to mess with.
But as I tried using some regular functions (I wish I could remember which ones) they just wouldn't work.
I read on another forum that an updated version was in the mix, but I haven't checked lately.
einar
I've just started to use gimp, but I am a little bit confused about it. I have to say that I am a novice to these kind of programs, but I have used corel photo paint a little bit.

From my experiences it seems like all the needed features, at least mine, are there. However I really should like to know two things:

where can i find a good tutorial on gimp ?
    what is the best accompanying drawing program
Phil
einar wrote:

where can i find a good tutorial on gimp ?
    what is the best accompanying drawing program

I can't help with the drawing program (come to think of it, I could use one myself) but as far as tutorials go, check out http://www.gimptalk.com.
It has dozens of tutorials and a very active and helpful forum.
I have a list on my page here at Frihost, check out http://phil.frihost.net/graph_lay.html for a few links.