FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Computer logs in then logs out instantly

Teezgaff
Hi all I have a little problem I need some help with..

Start up windows log in with user/pass desktop pic comes up then logs out straight away. It does this in all modes safe/safe with network and with command prompt.
I have used the recovery console to no avail as it doesn't show my hard drives being there. This also occures using my own BartPE disc.

The only time I have actually seen the files on my drive was using NTFS Floppy setup but this doesn't let me move or replace any files. Also thru dos I can't change from A: to c: or d: as they are not found.

I presume it's because the drives are NTFS and my BartPE runs through dos?

The unusual thing is I have a USB-IDE cable where if anything like this happens I can plug the drive into my other pc and repalce/remove files that way. I get an install error everytime for this drive.

It started when I removed a worm/trojan (FASU). And since I can't access the drive. Someone told me the USERINIT.EXE file may have been deleted, but I can't replace it as I can't get access to the drive.

Could the partition map be at fault?
Anyone know of a good boot disk or recovery util besides Bart?
Teezgaff
Here's what I did to get my files back:

The error seems to have been caused by Norton GOBack..
This creates the partion on your drive as a 44TYPE drive, hence me not being able to see it with my USB>IDE cable.

Used partionmagics ptedit and renamed type of drive back to NTFS

Ran GB_prog.exe from norton to get rid of all GOback items.
This got me back to accessing the drive and being recognised with DOS.
(Still couldn't log in though)

I then booted from bartPE and copied the files I wanted to save onto another partion... Reformatted C: and clean installed windows...

Looks like I took the long way around but did get my files back...
flameboy1974
In my opinion Norton is evil! Avoid all products at all costs! I use Acronis Disk Image. Works great and does not interfear with my OS.
xodia
Teezgaff wrote:
Hi all I have a little problem I need some help with..

Start up windows log in with user/pass desktop pic comes up then logs out straight away. It does this in all modes safe/safe with network and with command prompt.
I have used the recovery console to no avail as it doesn't show my hard drives being there. This also occures using my own BartPE disc.

The only time I have actually seen the files on my drive was using NTFS Floppy setup but this doesn't let me move or replace any files. Also thru dos I can't change from A: to c: or d: as they are not found.

I presume it's because the drives are NTFS and my BartPE runs through dos?

The unusual thing is I have a USB-IDE cable where if anything like this happens I can plug the drive into my other pc and repalce/remove files that way. I get an install error everytime for this drive.

It started when I removed a worm/trojan (FASU). And since I can't access the drive. Someone told me the USERINIT.EXE file may have been deleted, but I can't replace it as I can't get access to the drive.

Could the partition map be at fault?
Anyone know of a good boot disk or recovery util besides Bart?

try logging in while holding down the ctrl key... this will disable all commands set to run as you log in.. to me this sounds like a practical joke... but i dont know... if you get to log in then run anti virus.... and the trojan may still be there... not sure...
orcaz
Hey, I had this problem too. But for mine, it doesn't happen all of the time, only occasionally. I had Outpost Firewall and Avast Antivirus installed at that time, and when I logoff my default limited user account and logon to Admin account, this happens. Now I have reformatted, and it is okay now. Maybe bcoz due to some corrupted system files?