FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Jobs in New Zealand

teko
Anyone from NZ here who could tell me what the IT job scene is like down there? Am thinking of leaving Ireland and moving there for a few years. anyway it would be nice to stay in the IT area but I'd be open to changing careers if it came to that.

Thanks!
biljap
Try searching http://www.seek.co.nz/.
ColdFire
Quote:
Anyone from NZ here who could tell me what the IT job scene is like down there? Am thinking of leaving Ireland and moving there for a few years. anyway it would be nice to stay in the IT area but I'd be open to changing careers if it came to that.

i hear the scenery is nice down there & its not so crowded like some other place. what language do you use teko? be sure to let me know if you're successful in your job hunt okies? ill apply as your assistant. Wink
nappa
I spent 1 month in New Zealand years ago.

The country was beatiful, but so lonely....nothing much to do(If you are a night person)....
jwellsy
The people of NZ are the friendliest and warmest people I have ever met.
Yes, both islands are extremely beautiful.
There is more sheep than people.
They have the best trout fishing in the world.

You may want to look into what it will do to your tax rate situation.
Last I knew NZ was the second highest taxed country in the world.
Hardly anyone works on sat or sun
because most of that overtime money will go to the government.
yy1124
is that so...

I've always wanted to stay in New Zealand, but didn't actually look into these details yet...

Thanks for the information Very Happy
teko
thanks for the info, just checking things out first. I've heard the IT market is not bad but Australia would probalby better.

anyway if I hear anything more I will post here
jeanoradean
Anybody out there that can shed a little more light on the tax situation, as mentioned earlier? Thanks!
Troutfishing
hi
I am in new plymouth new zealand and currnetly in IT communications.
The wages are about $15 t o $ 25 per hour nz in the medium city areas, but in the major city areas eg. Auckland or wellington wages can be 60k to 140k per year.
The most common positions are network engineer, but there is an increase in the wireless and wifi.
Just a note my freind is from ireland and he moved 2 years ago and is IT and he likes it a lot. he works for a small computer shop.
Tax is about 24% up to aprrox 38k and the 33% above that
cheers gary
ujhan
I heard the IT sector was pretty good in NZ; especially on the south island, where the skiing is fantastic!
xerosyne
The IT job market is fairly bouyant here. The best (ones with the most listings) recruitment agencies are local and have a better understanding of the tax situtaion (not sure but I think 43% is the top tax rate) than the internationals. Unlike the big international agencies they do tend to ignore most applicants and can be very frustrating to work with. (Verrosity, Candle and Hays I've had dealings with...)

If you wanna go permanent you would do well to look at the global companies as NZ has only a few homegrown IT success stories and once they reach a certain size they tend to get sold off. (trademe.co.nz as an example)
Most demand seems to be for network engineers. I've also seen a few J2EE postings but thats probably just my bias.

The money isn't that good. Most intermediate level IT jobs will average NZD70k permanent. Contract rates vary but sit below most other destinations. Companies here rely a lot on starstruck immigrant syndrome and assume you will take a cut for the opportunity of living somewhere scenic and less crowded.

On the positive side, yes there are a lot of things to do in NZ and you can easily have an enjoyable time while your here. Work pressure is quite light and the people you will work with, easy going.
budiman
Hi,

I am Material Science Scientist and a foreigner.

Can anybody give me ideas about this field in NZ? How can I find a job in this field in NZ?

Thanks