FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Destops stop "working".

Diablosblizz
Hi, I posted before about DestopX. Well I thought to had it all fixed. But, I didn't. 3 days after that attack, I get to my destop, and boom everything was gone.

I WAS SO ANGRY. I lost everything, so my question is how do I fix this?
Animal
Have you tried Data Recovery software?
Diablosblizz
Thanks for the tip, but as of now I would like to figure out how to stop my destops from "losing" data.
Animal
Diablosblizz wrote:
Thanks for the tip, but as of now I would like to figure out how to stop my destops from "losing" data.

Try running the Stinger - it's a free virus removal tool. If this doesn't find anything, it rules out virus infection.
Diablosblizz
It came up clean. I guess this rules out virus detection?
Animal
Diablosblizz wrote:
It came up clean. I guess this rules out virus detection?

It should do, yeah. The next step is to check for malware / spyware infection - there are plenty free programs about that will do this for you.

What kind of computer installation is it? If you're a user on a corporate or academic network, it's possible that the (non-admin) user account settings are all removed after a restart. Is it possible that you're configured as a temporary user on a shared terminal?
Diablosblizz
Quote:
What kind of computer installation is it? If you're a user on a corporate or academic network, it's possible that the (non-admin) user account settings are all removed after a restart. Is it possible that you're configured as a temporary user on a shared terminal?

To be honsest here, I have no idea what you said. I'm a HTML/PHP Kinda guy. If you want my Windows OS its Windows XP Sp2.

Quote:
it's possible that the (non-admin) user account settings are all removed after a restart.

I have not tried that, but the destop that is "messing" up is a admin.

Quote:
It should do, yeah. The next step is to check for malware / spyware infection - there are plenty free programs about that will do this for you.

I have AD-Aware if that does it (which I think it does) and each time I scan that comes up 100% clean. Thats always been odd.