FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Universal Save Icon - Will it ever change?

hack_man_
The Universal Save Icon... Do you think it will ever be changed?

The universal icon for "save" has not changed from the floppy disk since it's inception. Do you think it will ever become obsolete? Will it be replaced by a CD, or flash drive in the future? Or maintain it's symbolic iconistic level for all eternity?
Arseniy
I think it will never change. It's classic thing. All users know certainly - diskette=save! So I don't think that Bill Gates will replace it. And Linux... maybe. But I'm not sure.
HoboPelican
It will have to change eventually. The whole point of icons is to make things obvious to the inexperienced user. I dont know what any other systems use, but how about a little safe? That would indicate "safe storage" to most people.
hack_man_
Wow! HoboPelican! Who was that uber-intelligent guy in your sig?

I would have thought that a safe would be a logical icon too, but maybe it is too vague. My grandmother would see the sense in the safe for keeping her stuff "safe". But not sure about next-gen people. Like the people who will be kids when it changes. Maybe it will just be the word "Save".
HoboPelican
hack_man_ wrote:
Wow! HoboPelican! Who was that uber-intelligent guy in your sig?

...Maybe it will just be the word "Save".

When Albert Einstein arrived at Princeton University, he was asked what he would need for his office. His reply?
Quote:
"A desk, some pads and a pencil, and a large wastebasket to hold all of my mistakes."

Moral? Everyone makes mistakes. The key is learning something from them. Smile

"SAVE" would be pretty English-oriented. Other languages might not have a similar word that is that short. Maybe a CD/DVD icon would do the trick, but I think a flash drive might be to transitory and ambiguous in shape.
bdoneck
I highly doubt it. It is easily recognizable to anyone whether or not they even know what a floppy disk is. it would be too much of a hassle to change and get used to something else.
meet in rio
I doubt it. Even if it did change to a CD or something, it would only have to change again (by the same logic) once some new form of file-storage was invented.

If it ever did change, I would anticipate something completely random like a big red square or a star or something.
Xcelerate
i think it will change to the flashdrive. but that will also change sooner or later.
Ray Gravin
You know this is a really good question. Floppy drives are disappearing and or have disappeared for most computers. I still have one on my Desktop for the occasion that i screw something up and need access to a basic environment to fix things. With my discovery of the boot-able linux OS environment I don't think its gotten much use.

Symbolically the floppy drive makes sense to most people who grew up with computers since there inception. For the generation of kids coming up who will never have a need for a floppy drive this symbol might be lost to them. I mean that would be like using an 8 track cartridge as a music file symbol. It will have to be changed I would think. The trouble is what would be an appropriate universal icon for "save"

I personally prefer to use whatever key stroke is appropriate for the operating system i use. Maybe we should focus on creating a universal key stroke?

I don't think that a Cd would be appropriate. For that matter any icon symbolizing a form of media. We might as well keep the floppy if thats the case because any form of media will become obsolete with time. Besides there are to many forms of media these days to choose from.
PatTheGreat42
It may seem logical to change, but then again, think it out. What about all the other symbols that stand for something, and used to make sense, but now don't really. First example that pops to mind is the classic stick figure with skirt on the bathroom doors to indicate girl. 90% of the girls in my school wear pants 90% of the time (our loss, methinks). So how much sense does that make? Not much. But everyone knows that stick figure with skirt means girl.

I think it's much the same with a floppy disk. I can imagine some of the youngin's these days will use a computer without ever seeing a disk, but they'll still know what the little icon means.

Can you imagine? Some day the trivia will be what looks like the save icon, not the other way around.
ocalhoun
The icon for a folder might work well. (In fact, I think I have seen that used as a save icon before.) But, after all, why change?
Ducksteina
I think it will change in a few years.
Who would ever remember discettes in 50 years? There are already people who don't know what a LP is. And Windows is made to be user-friendly, so it will probably change to a more modern save-medium. Smile
Shiva
hack_man_ wrote:
Or maintain it's symbolic iconistic level for all eternity?

Yep! That's what I think..

Why change a thing everyone knows what is?

What else could be iconed and still have the meening of the "Save" ?

No, I think the Floppy is very symbolic and should never change.. Not eaven Microsoft could change such a thing!! Wink
James007
I think the floppy disk should be kept. It's indeed symbolic, and people saved documents to their hard drive from the beginning of the computer hype.

I don't think I would like the safe. It reminds me of encryption.
Scorpio
Its surprising how the floppy has become vintage so soon...

I would certainly go with the floppy disk because any changes would cause confusion.

Also it represents its function so well, then why should we bother to change it
Hunterseaker
James007 wrote:
I think the floppy disk should be kept. It's indeed symbolic, and people saved documents to their hard drive from the beginning of the computer hype.

I don't think I would like the safe. It reminds me of encryption.

I totaly agree with you, the floppy disk is a part of the pc's history, and should stay alive forever. And why should you change, it is the same as the traffic signs, everybody knows the logo's etc. it is just easy to keep the same logo.
Josso
I think it's too classic, they are unlikely in new GUI to ever replace the little floppy disc because everyone knows that it means save and to keep a bit of history.
Loghete
It surprises me nobody has posted any save buttons yet..

a.Bird
mogchr
Save buttons are probably not going to change. It is universal in the computing world, so why change it? I don't get the point of trying to overhaul something that is already a standard.

I don't know. Maybe the linux community will find something that they want to replace it with, but I highly doubt anything will become a mainstream save icon besides the classic floppy disk. Does anybody know why the floppy was chosen, I mean, they could have picked a hard drive or some type of document being written on and placed in a filer, or something to that nature.

I have always wondered about the origins of all the different icons...

Oh well, anyone have a clue?
ocalhoun
^Because even noobs know what a floppy disk looks like, while the others are not as obvious. (Especially the hard drive; your average grandma user doesn't have any idea what a hard drive looks like.)
the zephyrus
ocalhoun wrote:
The icon for a folder might work well. (In fact, I think I have seen that used as a save icon before.) But, after all, why change?
That would be problematic. "Open" is usually an open folder, and "Close" is usually a starred folder. Unless you want to replace those.
The_Gamer294
It will never die! its like a cockroach. Its been around so long its no longer an icon resembling the save command. It IS save.
WickedGravity
Of course it will change. I remember in the ancient days you had to type it in, then there was the shortcut key, aka. "s", then you had the save icon, and in the future it will change, and so on and so forth.

Computers by their very nature are icons for change and advancement are they not?
riv_
My niece can code html like there's no tomorrow, but she doesn't know what a floppy disc is.
Of course, she, and all of her young friends, know exactly what the icon means. It means save.
Long after the world has forgotten it's origins, icons maintain their meaning. That's what makes them "icons" and not just pictures.
I predict the floppy disk Save icon will be around for a few more years. wink:
jongoldsz
The icon is never going to die. Even if you add a theme to windows, the save icon is still a floppy disc.
Desmond
Floopy disks are always going to be a universal symbol for save because in the old days, you usually save a document onto a floopy before your worthless Windows 95 computer crashes on you...

I hope that Vista would have theme options that allow you to change features like what your save icons would be, but I doubt it, lol.
dmntr
It will bt changed only if someone gives us another interesting and simple icon, but the question is : who needs it?
also a lot of old users wouldn't like that....
Daniel15
Quote:

What about in 50 years time? The people then probably won't even know what a disk is (it would be like us using a punch card or one of those ZX80 tapes for the 'Save' icon Razz)

Quote:
I hope that Vista would have theme options that allow you to change features like what your save icons would be, but I doubt it, lol.

Unfortunately, the icons are usually built in to the program, so every developer would need to implement something similar. Of course, there's always Resource Hacker Very Happy

the zephyrus wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
That would be problematic. "Open" is usually an open folder, and "Close" is usually a starred folder. Unless you want to replace those.

Yep, that's what I was going to say Wink When I did Visual Basic 6 programs (ages ago), I used use a cross for Close (although people are starting to use the cross to mean 'Delete File' instead)
Davidgr1200
How about a little rectangle with the word "SAVE" on it? Thought this would have be translated for other languages
judelover
The_Gamer294 wrote:
It will never die! its like a cockroach. Its been around so long its no longer an icon resembling the save command. It IS save.

The cockroach....lol!
Well I believe since we use cell phones in most cases, the icon for a phone number will still be one with a dial panel....
mstreet
I think it's going to stay that would be like Coca-Cola changing it's traditional logo. Everyone knows it and identifies with the Save Symbol or maybe I've just been around too long and old habits die hard
Duncan Idaho
The save icon's change is inevitable, though as long as people want it to stay the same, it's metamorphosis shall always be postponed for about one hundred more years until computers become obsolete, and computer-brain chips become the new thing.
Donutey
scorpio wrote:
Its surprising how the floppy has become vintage so soon...

I would certainly go with the floppy disk because any changes would cause confusion.

Also it represents its function so well, then why should we bother to change it

Vintage so soon? The floppy has been around a long time in the computing world... anyone else here still have commodore floppies in the basement? Rolling Eyes
jon9314
it will stay forever and ever becaus so many ppl know it that way a change will screw ut those who can just barly manage to remember the basics.
Yazz
How can you make floppies obsolete? They're still handy for crappy jobs!

Like, what if you wanted to move a 26 kb document from one computer to another, there's no LAN, no wireless, and all the usb ports are in the backs of the computers, which are under desks (so you have to move the desk to get to them if you don't want to unplug EVERYTHING). Would YOU waste a CD to move 26 kbs? Or would you use your handy Floppy and stick it where it goes and have instant access to your document? I'd opt for the floppy. They cost like, what, a buck for 10 now? That's 1.2-2.4 MB of valuable time and resource saving stuff! Of course in the future all computer will have easy access USB ports, not all will have diskette drives, instead they'll have flash card drives, and diskettes will end up in museums. I don't care though. It is still useful for small specific jobs and it's a classic symbol of save. There's no changing that, and there's no need.
frozenhead
Well, I think it would never change at all, it's a culture among computer literates.
Captain Fertile
If the floppy dies out I think the icon should change to as piggy-bank for the obvious save connection.

I mean, piggy banks are almost as dead as the diskette but more people (even the computer illiterate) associate piggy banks with saving - even new users to computers are aware of a piggy bank.

In years to come people are going to have to be told what the save icon represents if the floppy does remain as the save icon.

This questions seemed to come from nowhere, I had never thought of it and it is a great question to throw out there. Very Happy

Regards
The Captain
thegregmann
i think it will change because we have come far from the floppy i mean we used into the late 90's when cd burners weren't as common but as the market grows and they become even more obsolote due to ftp sites and email alone they will slowly be replaced with cd/dvds or other things
Josephwweaver
Probably not, if it aint broke dont fix it, LOL
Vladalf
I think the lil' diskette will never change on windows! It's a classic...
-TomJ-
Davidgr1200 wrote:
How about a little rectangle with the word "SAVE" on it? Thought this would have be translated for other languages

Using an icon is intended to be understood more easily than some text. And, as you mention ever so correctly, other countries use other languages, and the Save concept may need a lot more characters when translated into other languages. Which could screw up the meticulously designed screen layout.

I think the icon works well. And the diskette symbol works well too.
After all: why do red traffic lights make people stop their car? Simply because the red light has been made a symbol of the necessity to stop before the junction.
European traffic signs also contain symbols, or icons. The writing in Greece or Russia differs from the rest of Europe, but the traffic signs are understood by any European (having passed his drivers exam of course).

Icons are universal and take away barriers.
Lessien
true
i don't think they will change that icon, at least not till they have found something everybody knows.
but that counts for any other symbol too
i must admid of some i have no idea how they found a certain icon and started using it.
like for example the one for start something up, the circle with the opening in top and the stick half inside and half outside the circle (if that discription makes any sense).
you find it on computeres, printers and many other machines.
maybe it had a meaning in the past but i def can't remember what it is.
but the icon is still here. maybe it will be the same with the save icon.
Jack_Hammer
hack_man_ wrote:
The Universal Save Icon... Do you think it will ever be changed?

The universal icon for "save" has not changed from the floppy disk since it's inception. Do you think it will ever become obsolete? Will it be replaced by a CD, or flash drive in the future? Or maintain it's symbolic iconistic level for all eternity?

I'm sure I saw a lot of icons originally for it being the 5+1/4" discs, then I thought it moved onto the 3+1/2", certainly for old games that only ran on the 5+1/4".
ocalhoun
Now I remember where I saw the non-standard save icon; it was in a download program, and the icon was an arrow pointing down.
TomS
ocalhoun wrote:
The icon for a folder might work well. (In fact, I think I have seen that used as a save icon before.) ...

ocalhoun wrote:
... and the icon was an arrow pointing down.

Yes. In a program to control lightshows and such stuff, the symbol for saving something is a folder with a red arrow to the bottom. And the symbol for open is a folder with a blue arrow pointing up. I like these symbols and who knows what the next generation will know about floppy? Also the symbols look in most cases a bit "oldschool". I think it should be changed. But this is a loooong process and I wonder if I ever will see that almost every program has new standard icons.
ocalhoun
Who knows? With increasing technology, icons might go obsolete.
James007
Because it is more or less a software related issue, i'll move it to software.