FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


disk defragmenters





riyadh
can anyone tell me the name of some defragmenting softwares for windows which run in the background and prevent build-up of fragmented files?

P.S should be freeware
Animal
riyadh wrote:
can anyone tell me the name of some defragmenting softwares for windows which run in the background and prevent build-up of fragmented files?

P.S should be freeware

There is a disk defragmenter built into Windows - if you have Windows 2000 or XP, go to START > PROGRAMS > ACCESSORIES > SYSTEM TOOLS > DISK DEFRAGMENTER.

There is also a defrag program on Windows 98 - I think it's under "accessories" in the start menu, but I'm not 100% sure.
riyadh
first of all...i knw tht windows xp has a built-in defragmenter. it's not like i started using my computer yesterday. second of all...the built-in one does not run in the background. i have to defragment my drives manually time after time.
DaComboMan
riyadh wrote:
first of all...i knw tht windows xp has a built-in defragmenter. it's not like i started using my computer yesterday. second of all...the built-in one does not run in the background. i have to defragment my drives manually time after time.


rijadh,

I'm not aware of any good defragmenter available for free.
A few years ago i purchased Diskeeper's Home version and have never had any regrets. In fact, i liked it so much that i upgraded!
IMHO, there are none comparable to it.
http://diskeeper.com/defrag.asp
myworld
If its the fact of having to run it manually that is bothering then perhaps you should have scheduled that but I suppose I shouldn't really suggest that as no doubt you have considered that since didn't just start using your computer yesterday Wink

As for ones that work while you work away in the background automatically keeping your computer in tip top condition well I am afraid there isn't any. They all use one form or other of scheduling to run. These are not done on the fly. The schedule may simply be set to run when the disk reaches a certain level of defragmentation but that is just another form of scheduling or it may be set to run at certain time say when you are at work or sleeping as this process can often monopolise your cpu and significantly slow your other tasks therefore carrying this out is best left until you are doing nothing else.
blueray
You can also try perfect disk for windows.
But I personally like diskeeper, and it now have a new version available.
It has a lot of options like 3 time optimizing as primary, secondary and third.
PseudoKnight
The best defragger I've tried is from O&O Software. Unfortunately it's not free. However, you can download the demo, defrag by name, and then uninstall. This should increase startup performance. From then on you can use the built-in Windows defragger which basically does the same thing the O&O guys recommend for maintenance, defrag by space.

http://www.oo-software.com/en/
orcaz
PseudoKnight wrote:
The best defragger I've tried is from O&O Software. Unfortunately it's not free. However, you can download the demo, defrag by name, and then uninstall. This should increase startup performance. From then on you can use the built-in Windows defragger which basically does the same thing the O&O guys recommend for maintenance, defrag by space.

http://www.oo-software.com/en/

I use O&O, but from my experience, though it is quite good, but it occasionally screws up my comp. It even got to the extend of deleting my system file when I did an offline defrag todae. It was fine all the long, and I set it to do an offline defrag as the $secure $sds was fragmented, and frm my xperience, it cannot be defraged online. However, after a successful offline defrag, it restarted and then at boot time, windows reported a missing pci.sys file. It did not happen only once, it also screwed up my mozilla firefox b4. I think there are some bugs in the software that cause loss of memory during the defrag or sth, not sure... dun dare to use it anymore.
loosu
i vote for Diskeeper . Runs my computer to the smoothest , it ever can .
cheeta
well best thing is the default Windows XP tool... Wink

just do few things... Make sure u r in NTFS and use the XP default tool... its good... does the job with ease... Smile
orcaz
cheeta wrote:
well best thing is the default Windows XP tool... Wink

just do few things... Make sure u r in NTFS and use the XP default tool... its good... does the job with ease... Smile

The problem of MS Defrag tool is that it is not complete, which means it cannot defrag some files when I used it. It will show a popup that some files cannot be defraged, and then halt the job. Also, it cannot perform offline defrag.
Related topics
The Unofficial Jokes Thread
question about hard disk
Boot disk problem.
Proper Floppy Disk care
which is better BluRay or Digital Multilayer Disk?
[RESOLVED] Disk Usage Warning (critical)
>> PC&#8217's << without a hard disk drive
SQL Disk usage?
Windows 9x Disk Caching
Disk usage problem
Formating & the Hard disk
How can I make a linux partition just using Disk Managment.
what software for all drive of usb flash disk 98se
Disk Quota Exceded????
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Software

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.