FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What a stupid country and its system

barryforever
Quote:
A candidate has won election to a North Carolina county board -- despite being dead for a month.

Sam Duncan was the top vote-getter Tuesday for two seats on Union County's Soil and Water Conservation board.

County elections officials knew of Duncan's death, but no one told the voters.

The Democratic Party ran newspaper ads endorsing him the weekend before the election, and literature distributed near the polls included his name.

Party officials say they didn't know Duncan had died when they placed the ads and printed the literature.

He won by 12,000 votes.

One man who voted for him says he was shocked to learn "that poor Sam was gone."

Duncan's seat will be filled by appointment.
coolclay
And this has to do with movies and television how. Mods I think this topic should be moved.
HoboPelican
coolclay wrote:
And this has to do with movies and television how. Mods I think this topic should be moved.

In no way that I see. Can't move to News, since there is no source listed, so it's off to General Chat. Laughing
SFMeatwad
Well, what I don't really like about after the elections is that the gas prices have gone up.

What the hell is wrong with that? I have no clue as to why they are raising gas prices, because we just found some more oil (that will take 3-4 years to drill out) and we are still drilling more and more by the day.

What the hell is the matter with the Government of the United States these days?
a.Bird
SFMeatwad wrote:
Well, what I don't really like about after the elections is that the gas prices have gone up.

What the hell is wrong with that? I have no clue as to why they are raising gas prices, because we just found some more oil (that will take 3-4 years to drill out) and we are still drilling more and more by the day.

What the hell is the matter with the Government of the United States these days?
"These days" ? Buddy, do some history. This country is fuct. Oh by the way, your avatar is great! Very Happy
chemicalplay
confused?
goverments just dont make sense these days?

search video.google.com for

"loose change"
"terrorstorm"
"alex jones"

goto prisonplanet.com
sibbahz
This is mad, how hard could it have been to remove him from the candidates and advise people sooner?

Very odd.
ocalhoun
^Very hard. The polling system is vast and complex. It's not easy to make sure everything goes along right. Heck, the ballots were probably already printed.
watersoul
I cant comment on your system, but yep, it is a crazy one with someone being voted into a position when they are dead!
...the thing that always intreagues me though is that so many US public positions are "voted" in, instead of interviewed and selected on merit. From what I understand, the system is the same for Sheriff's etc? (please correct me if I'm wrong) and if it's true, isnt there a potentially dangerous situation of corruption where the big money "owns" the person in the position? The best marketing decides who gets the job, and the paymaster of the marketing (leaflets/adverts etc) essentially owns the person voted in?
I admit I havent researched the US situation, but here in the UK, there are strict rules and limits on the amount of money paid for marketing in a political campaign (a maximum of a few thousand pounds per candidate) and this stops the richest lobby taking the power through wealth alone. OK the truth is that nationally people mainly vote for the 3 leading parties, but at a local level, independents get through and help keep a healthy balance in the cut-throat world UK politics.
Nothing is perfect though anywhere, a serving prisoner won office in local government a couple of years ago here, standing under a "don't pay unfair local taxes" banner. He was ineligible to actually take office due to his prisoner status, but I guess he made his point! Smile
watersoul
Hey moderator, this double post was a "double-click accident", and not on purpose, sorry, please delete one coz I dont deserve the points from it Confused
ocalhoun
^Well, the sheriff is sort of a big wig; the officers on the streets are sheriff's deputies.
watersoul wrote:
Hey moderator, this double post was a "double-click accident", and not on purpose, sorry Confused

You're making it worse!
Edit your previous post for things like that. (if it wasn't for my post after you, you could delete the second post.
watersoul
Sorry Embarassed
...but if the Sheriff is the big-wig, and decides who walks the streets, he/she must be way powerful in the remote backwater towns and places in the US? ...isn't that a bit scary when all their friends/business leaders are all gonna vote them in again?
I'm not knocking the system at all because like I say its different to what I'm used to, but I reckon it could be open to all kinds of abuses at a local level.
If anyone has any comments on this I'd be well interested, or d'ya should it be a new thread?
ocalhoun
watersoul wrote:
...isn't that a bit scary when all their friends/business leaders are all gonna vote them in again?

That's the beauty of democracy. The business leaders/ friends don't have any extra influence.
watersoul
Isn't the influence bought through TV ad's & leaflets though?
...this honestly isn't a critisism/sweeping statement, just a question because your system is so different to ours where we have appointed officials and an independent complaints authority to chase them through the courts when they mess up.
ocalhoun
watersoul wrote:
appointed officials

Supposedly, the general populace is less easily corrupted or misguided than one or several people doing the appointing. A bad person may get elected, but you can be sure that nobody really bad will (so long as the public knows about it).
watersoul
Yep, I get that.
The system here has been accused of being an "old boys network" where people move up the public official ranks playing the same game as their peers or they're kicked out, and potentially you must have more chances to stop that through a voting system.
It's a really strange country I live in though, where there are 3 seperate "empires" fighting for their independence - The elected government which write the rules; the civil & military services that enforce/administer the rules and are governed solely/ultimately by the crown (king/queen) through crown employees; and then there's the judiciary (judges/magistrates) appointed by leading judges & lords on behalf of the king/queen, that interpret (and change) the law written by the elected leaders!
I havent a clue what system is best, they all have faults, but to go back on-topic, the dead man could just have easily been employed for a month here if he'd signed up after interview, but then just didn't turn up for work on whatever monday Rolling Eyes
ocalhoun
Well, dead people vote often enough, why shouldn't they elect a dead person?
(election fraud)
watersoul
At least your people found that out! (election fraud)
...here anyone can get a voting card depending on whatever names were returned on the form that comes through the post each year to each address - think of a name, send the form back and get a voting card!!
Wow, such different systems but same number of problems.

the grass isn't greener on the other side, it's just the weeds are in different places
mschnell
SFMeatwad wrote:

I don't understand why people are always blaming the government on gas prices. Does the government set gas prices? I think the reason people are always so upset about gas prices is that it's one of a very low number of markets that actually adjusts prices in the short term. It creates confusion.
madsencarl
God damn it I hate Americans.

Don't discuss, just agree.
vinx_18
It may happen...it's all called STUPIDITY! I think they do that because of some cruel intention!
Davidgr1200
This will mean that there will at last be a senator with an unblemished record - he won't be able to make any bad decisions.
ocalhoun
madsencarl wrote:

Idoru
Yet another proofe that words like democracy, politics, buerocracy, etc doesn't fit
in the same sentence. It's hard to say that it's supprising, since politicians almost are
demanded to take advantage of voters. It's the way it is, simply, and I don't think it's
going to change by putting a vote on something... Rolling Eyes
DeanOlicious
watersoul wrote:
Sorry Embarassed
...but if the Sheriff is the big-wig, and decides who walks the streets, he/she must be way powerful in the remote backwater towns and places in the US? ...isn't that a bit scary when all their friends/business leaders are all gonna vote them in again?
I'm not knocking the system at all because like I say its different to what I'm used to, but I reckon it could be open to all kinds of abuses at a local level.
If anyone has any comments on this I'd be well interested, or d'ya should it be a new thread?

Since I've lived in both a big city and the rural backwoods (hehe) I can probably give some input there. While certain counties have certain rules, almost all of them have a system of checks and balance going for them. For example, the sheriff has the power to arrange the courthouse, issue investigations into the mayoral office, and so on. The coroner in one county that I know of has the power to arrest the sheriff (you got me on that one, it's not perfect.) So in essence, if the sheriff is voted for by the people of the county, it is less likely that he will be the candidate preferred by whoever is in power. This prevents a mayor, for example, from hiring on his best friend for sheriff, his wife's brother for court judge, and also helps to keep him from issuing contracts to preferred golf course buddies. All that would be called cronyism. It's pretty effective at the local level, and where it goes wrong is through voter fraud.
bartdou
you know , stupid people and things exist everywhere, every country,
do not complain any more....
reddishblue
madsencarl wrote:

And how many Americans have you met?
Do not generalize!
Aless
Lol, I AM American, and I tend to dislike them most of the time (especially when I encounter in foreign countries).
ocalhoun
reddishblue wrote:

Do not generalize!

Aw, come on. Generalizing is fun!
a.Bird
ocalhoun wrote:
reddishblue wrote:

Do not generalize!

Aw, come on. Generalizing is fun!

I affectionately refer to it as near-sighted categorization. Wink
Josso
a.Bird wrote:
I affectionately refer to it as near-sighted categorization. Wink

Laughing Sorry off topic but that really made me laugh.
sonicj
madsencarl wrote:

Damn it I hate Australians Razz Are we feeling the love in this room? Sad
Dredge
It's typical for North Carolina to vote for dead people. On a side note, this just proves that the majority of a particular state votes the way they do because of the "Democrat" or "Republican" status. They really don't care what they think or believe, it's just more of less being able to claim one of the two.