FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Whole School Detention

Rako
recently My school has a few hole school detentions because the teachers think there is to much rubbish (I don't think it is that bad). but they get the hole school to sit out in the hot sun and they get a few people to go around and clean up. Do you think it is right for the hole school to get in trouble because of few people?

*Edited topic title - Max*
Cal_123
Lol. Well, my school does that. One person messes up, the whole class gets the flak from it. They say it stop other people from thinking they can do it, but 9 times out of 10, it really doesn't work. Teachers heh? Smile
Blaster
Yea i see your point there. But at least it like doesn't go on your record or anything. Very Happy
Soulfire
In theory it would work, but in reality, it would probably only make more people mad - more apt to break the rules (that's how I look at it anyways).
FaLLeN
Yeah i hate them whole class detentions. I really hate it when it is SO SO SO obvious who was messing up, but the tacher insists on keeping everybody in.

Never had a whole SCHOOL detention though Laughing
Davedough
The only thing I can see coming out of that is fist fights, or worse. Imagine some guy messing up all the time causing the entire class to go to detention, well its going to upset a lot of people. Pretty soon either one person or a group is going to let that person know how they feel about him being a screw up. Kinda like a blanket party in the military where if you cause the entire boot camp squad too much grief, they'll tie you down in your bunk and beat you with a bar of soap in a sock late at night. Not pleasant.
Hunterseaker
I can understand why the school decided to punish the whole school...when students make a mess then they have to deal with consequences themself.
However I also think that many students will mad about getting punished and that the detention will works back-to-front(or counter-productive)
coolclay
I think you need to go back to your "hole" school, and get some good ole' fashion enghrish edumacation
msaarinen
There is absolutely no point punishing the whole school. The innocent will suffer and the guilty may fall into fights.
R2.DETARD
That system does have an upside...
It ruins the possibility of someone snitching.
If the snitch get in trouble too, then they won't dobb their mates in.
Perfect!
sibbahz
This is annoying. Similar things happened when i was at school but we were all just made to go out and do a spring clean of the fields. Not a lot of fun!
Inferno619
lol, quite frankly, no. But it does help people learn the lesson of, if somebody falls, you all fall, even if you did nothing. But, that is only the positive, there are many other negatives for a whole school detension.
Petee
I have had this happen to me many, many times over my high school career. Although it's never been as drastic as the entire school getting a detention, but my entire class has been punished several times for the acts of a single individual. I agree with the others here that this system of punishment does not work in the real world. Myself and others have tried reasoning with the trouble makers, but all that results in is them doing it again/more (just because we told them not to) or they just yell at us and beat on us.
ThornsOfSorrow
I think that's a bad idea. Back when I was in high school, we had problems with people leaving garbage in the courtyard and pulling out plants, but the entire school wasn't given a detention; the administration just closed the courtyard for a few weeks. I know that it's not always that easy (since you can't close an entire school if people are throwing garbage all over it), but there have to be alternatives. Giving a detention to the entire school probably makes some innocent students think, "Well if I'm being punished for something that I didn't do, then I might as well start misbehaving since I already have a detention." To me, it sounds like your teachers are just too lazy to figure out exactly who needs to be punished, so they're taking it out on everyone. I'd be very angry if I were you.
Vrythramax
Punishment enmass is INMO not any kind of viable solution. Why should all pay for the crap by a few lazy people? Sounds rather like a POW Camp....one does wrong, and all pay to make an example and to turn one against another.

I say NO WAY.
mtoni
gheh lol,
Don't you have paid cleaners to do that ?
It's a funny method though :p
Davidgr1200
Quote:
they get the hole school to sit out in the hot sun and they get a few people to go around and clean up.

There are worse things in life (and in school) than sitting in the sun watching someone else picking up litter!
Vrythramax
could always chat up the girls nearby...would make the sunburn worthwhile anyway Wink
Rico
Davedough wrote:
The only thing I can see coming out of that is fist fights, or worse. Imagine some guy messing up all the time causing the entire class to go to detention, well its going to upset a lot of people. Pretty soon either one person or a group is going to let that person know how they feel about him being a screw up. Kinda like a blanket party in the military where if you cause the entire boot camp squad too much grief, they'll tie you down in your bunk and beat you with a bar of soap in a sock late at night. Not pleasant.

This is most probably what they’re trying to achieve (without the violence off course). They want you guys to band together and figure out how to reach the individuals that cause the problems for any one else. This is an opportunity for you to show if you’re a leader. If you don’t feel up to confronting the perpetrators on your own, try establishing a student body of people that feel the same as what you do. From these individuals use the persons that do not mind the confrontation and have the skills of persuasion that will make the guilty comply with the wishes of the majority.
A very good technique is to form your committee and then employ the actual perpetrators as your police force. They probably don’t even consciously register that they’re making life unpleasant for their peers when they do the bad things they do. By involving them you get their minds to start working on issues besides the involvement of SELF.
This does sound easier than implementing it but if you do give it a try I think you’ll be amazed at what can be done if you make use of the recourses available to you (the people around you). Drumming up support will go a lot smoother if you only remind them of how much fun you had the last time you sat frying and boring your brains out in detention.
monzoncf
well, whole school detention makes no one happy. But the teachers has their point. If the people in that school is too much rubbish in a sense of they are making the school compound worst and total destructions, so why not make to punish them. But If im the student, i will get really mad, specially if im not involve in that incident.
Rico
monzoncf wrote:
well, whole school detention makes no one happy. But the teachers has their point. If the people in that school is too much rubbish in a sense of they are making the school compound worst and total destructions, so why not make to punish them. But If im the student, i will get really mad, specially if im not involve in that incident.

It is a lot more difficult for management to find the perpetrators than for the students to identify them. Most probably management has taken the stance that if a kid is going to litter with other kids watching and doing nothing about it, it makes them just as guilty as the one doing the littering?
alkady
It sucks, but thats how it's like in the army, if one screws up, everyone gets the blame and the guy responsible will be the one getting some problems at the end of the day.

Thats what they are trying to achive I guess, thats what my school does.
Vrythramax
I must agree with alkady here, to gset an entire group against itself to catch a perpetrator is simply wrong. How would our childrend learn to work together if this was forced on them in the learning stage?

Maybe more brains are needed at the authority level to deal with such situations instead of resorting to making an entire group shun one person to get out of trouble.
Josso
That's ridiculous, I mean we always thought whole class detentions were a bit bias anyway. We only get it with certain teachers but I guess people have stopped caring and just walk out these days - so is the way with Year 11 (for Americans... age: 15-16).
S3nd K3ys
I think it's fine. It will either stop the idiots from getting in trouble, or persuade those NOT doing it to either stop those doing it, or report those doing it to the teacher.

IOW, if you're not willing as a class to put a stop to the bad actions of a few, or at least report them, then you deserve to be punished fo allowing the disruptions in class.

You'll understand when you grow up. Wink The teachers are there to teach you, and if you're making it hard for them to teach, you get what you deserve.
Josso
S3nd K3ys wrote:
You'll understand when you grow up. Wink

Hmm, that must explain why my 50 year old mum also thinks it's a load of BS.

Laughing
S3nd K3ys
Josso wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
You'll understand when you grow up. Wink

Hmm, that must explain why my 50 year old mum also thinks it's a load of BS.

Laughing

Obviously. You're her son. Rolling Eyes

Ask her if she ever put you and your brothers/sisters in trouble because one of you did something and the others knew about it but wouldn't say who.
Josso
I don't think that ever happened, but then again my brother is 26 Laughing
Pyro Man
Josso wrote:
I don't think that ever happened, but then again my brother is 26 Laughing
1986 Volvo 240 GL 2.3 Turbo Intercooled. No I dont think that would happen either, I know his parents.
proto-man
Lol, i've never had whole class detentions since grade 6, and have NEVER had a whole school detention. Lol, I think my school's teachers are just smart enough to know what works and what doesn't.
Vrythramax
I guess since you live such a perfect life you have never been persecuted Keys.
jongoldsz
If you ever get a whole school detention, and many people weren't involved with the incident, you should get your parents and your friends parents to file a lawsuit against your school. Then, your school won't have whole school detentions.
spanx
ya go to ur whole school and educate urself by that
plz read and play the whole thing
otherwise u will ruin all ur hardworks
Vrythramax
spanx wrote: