FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

pc restarting randomly

linexpert
hi
i have a hp pavillion 552w and am having a little problem. Couple weeks back i bought a ram stick for 256mb and installed it. I also took out the cpu fan and cleaned it out. I didn't have cpu thermal paste so i just put the fan on without it. I than got norton ghost and installed it. everytime i try making backups the pc restarts. when it boots up again i get a "system has recovered from a serious error"
i got a patch for the error and that's fixed. I also got hijackthis, avast, antiVir, adaware se and scanned pc with all of them. There are no viruses or spyware on the system. I took out the extra stick of ram and the pc still restarts when i try making a backup with ghost. I'm gona go buy thermal paste now.
I also don't think it's ghost because the pc sometimes restarts while i'm playing godfather or aoe.

is anyone able to help me solve this?
orcaz
If you are playing a game and the computer restarts, it is highly likely it is due to overheating of the CPU. You can check your CPU's temperature with some free softwares like CPU Wizard. Most CPUs nowadays will automatically power off or restart when it overheats, like mine when I played W3 last time.
FaLLeN
Yeah, That happened to me when i had my CPU overclocked too much on really hot days, put the thermal paste on there and let it cure then see how your temps are.

What type of CPU do you have, To be safe AMD should be under 50-55 and for intel never let it go above 60 or it will shorten the life of it...

Post back when you have the paste on and tell us your temps too.
linexpert
it's mainly when using norton ghost to backup. I thought it might have been ghost so i uninstalled it and got a diffrent copy and still the same problem. Hopefully i'll get the paste tommorrow and it'll fix all the problems.

btw, i've got a p4 2.00gHz and the temp is 35 but the pc still crashes. Sad

i'm looking up alternatives to ghost and have found this thing called hiren's bootcd. Can someone tell me what it does. his site shows all the tools it's got, how do they all fit on 65mb?
ashwinnaidu
Three Possibilities
1.Norton Ghost software is not good.
2.Operating System is not good.
3.Power cables are loose.

Generally this error "system has recovered from a serious error"
is common if the operating system(windows xp) which you are using is pirated version.

try installing windows again, this should solve the problem.

ashwin.
linexpert
my windows isn't pirated, it's oem i've never had problems with it.

I'm going to a local computer repair shop tomorrow and i'll buy some colling paste for the cpu and i'll post the findings here. Idea
Kelvin
it's most likely due to overheating. Without the thermal paste, your notebook is not transfering heat fast enough. Running ghost stresses your comp as it's practically reading your whole backup drive.

You can try opting for a cooling docking station to further lower your temps.
Jaan
I've had this before... it was something about defragging the hard drive. Have you done that? You should probably defrag, and when I had that, I also had RAID setup. Do your drives have RAID?
ChEERs
Bones
I would also guess that the lack of paste is causing the problem. You really need it to help transfer heat from the cpu to the heat sink.

You might also want to turn off 'automatically restart on system failure' in the system properties so that when the pc restarts you will hopefully get a blue screen error.
erlendhg
orcaz wrote:
If you are playing a game and the computer restarts, it is highly likely it is due to overheating of the CPU. You can check your CPU's temperature with some free softwares like CPU Wizard. Most CPUs nowadays will automatically power off or restart when it overheats, like mine when I played W3 last time.

That was exactly what happend to my elder brother´s HP laptop. One of the fans was not working properly, or the filter was not clean, so it restarded casued by overheat.
orcaz
A solution to the problem of overheating would be either to replace your system fans (prolly coz they are old, so not working that well), or you can choose to apply paste on the CPU as mentioned by the other frihosters. These would greatly help to solve the heat problem.
PseudoKnight
I highly doubt your temp is 35 degrees without thermal paste. You might be reading the wrong temperature.

Overheating can cause damage to your system. You'll want to apply the thermal paste before you use the system again. Use as thin a layer as possible to make a connection between the CPU and the heat sink. Too much can act as a thermal barrier. (though, it's still better than none at all)

I hope everything goes smoothly.
ritesh26
Don't use avast antiVir or AVG antivir, these are create problems.
It may be some problem of Game you are using. You check your RAM,
If your system is restarting randomly any time then these the problem of Motherboad , so you check your borad.