FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX and GeForce 7950 GX2

william
nVidia recently launched a new graphics card, the GeForce 8800 GTX. It is currently nVidia's flagship card. It can be configured in SLI, though that has not been done, yet.

I was just wondering if anybody had a comparison between one 8800 GTX and one 7950 GX2. Also, a comparison if both are running in SLI.

The closest comparison I found was one 8800 GTX vs. 2 7900 GTX (little better than a single GX2). The single 8800 GTX won.

Thanks in advance.
psycosquirrel
I can tell you any G80 card will smoke any SLI setup from the 7 series. It also smokes a single 7950GX2 no problem, and would probably outperform quad SLI'd 7950's also. Unfortunately, I have seen no benchmarks, so it's simply an estimate based on the hardware capabilities of the 8800GTX...
Studio Madcrow
Wow. That's a LOT of graphics horsepower... Probably costs as much as a PS3, too. Of course PS3 gets you a nice graphics card AND a cheap BluRay player. This just gets you graphics power that NO PC game currently out or in the pipeline will be able to truly take advantage of. If I hafd to choose what to spend money on, it wouldn't be the new graphics card.
william
psycosquirrel wrote:
I can tell you any G80 card will smoke any SLI setup from the 7 series. It also smokes a single 7950GX2 no problem, and would probably outperform quad SLI'd 7950's also. Unfortunately, I have seen no benchmarks, so it's simply an estimate based on the hardware capabilities of the 8800GTX...

Yeah, that's what I calculated. Many of my variables may be incorrect, therefore I can be completely sure, but a single 8800 GTX seems to have slightly more power than a quad SLI setup. In the future, SLI will be available for this card; imagine the power. Twisted Evil

Studio Madcrow wrote:
Wow. That's a LOT of graphics horsepower... Probably costs as much as a PS3, too. Of course PS3 gets you a nice graphics card AND a cheap BluRay player. This just gets you graphics power that NO PC game currently out or in the pipeline will be able to truly take advantage of. If I hafd to choose what to spend money on, it wouldn't be the new graphics card.

Maybe so, but it will easily crush the PS3 in terms of graphics performance. Wink As for games that utilize it, there are none. I think there were only one or two games that utilized quad SLI. So, until games utilize this power, we can't truly enjoy the power.
ForceRun
I was at the release in San Jose and they showed the new card, basicly the last 3dmarks06 socre was something like 16,500 for 7950GTXx2 SLi overclocked/water cooled and the new score is 17,600 for 8800GTX stock. So the new GeForce8s conquer all others; plus with HD/BlueRay, Visita, and DirectX10 the new GeForce8 is the way to go, as soon as the price drops a little and some games come out for DirectX10 I'm going to get one of these guys.
FaLLeN
So is this card out and available to buy, or just benchmarks are out?

Hope i get a part time job soon Smile
ForceRun
Yeap, was in stock as of the release date:
GTX for $649.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150205
and the GTS$489.99:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150204
psycosquirrel
I would wait until at least the 2nd revision though, price will drop at least $50 and they will have perfected all the driver and hardware issues that may arise.

Studio Madcrow- The PS3 is nice, but apparently you have never gamed on a really good system. My system is well under $2000 total, which is much less than a PS3 with a comparable home theatre system. There is nothing better than playing next-gen games on PC with dual 5.1 surround, a huge sub, and a 32" LCD. On another note, in case you want to make the argument that the PS3/XBOX360 outputs a higher resolution with better graphics than the computer, let's do some math:

The PS3/ 360 can only output up to 1080i. Assuming you have a TV the size of mine, you have already surpassed the cost of my computer. You already lose. But, because I KNOW someone always disagrees with that, I continue. With only 1080i, this means that it can only output up to a 1920x1080, which is 2073600 pixels total. Oh but wait, the signal is interlaced. Oops, divide by two. You can draw UP TO 1036800 pixels (at max, the complete maximum, it doesn't matter if the system can "draw higher" if you don't see it, the PC can in theory draw infinitely high if you had a monitor to support it). The PC on the other hand, even with a crappy CRT, will support up to 1600x1200, or 1920000 pixels, nearly TWICE the pixels of the deinterlaced PS3 signal, and therefore, TWICE the graphics detail. Not to mention specialty screens like the Dell 3007, which will go well past that resolution to an INSANE 2048x1536, or 3145728 total pixels. Now that is a lot of graphics. Very Happy

Another thing... What runs on blu-ray right now anyways? Oh yeah, Sony products. Sounds kinda necessary to run their games.

Anyways, sorry if you weren't trying to argue the PS3's superiority(sic). I just get pissed when people are ignorant about console vs pc gaming. Both have their advantages, but the PC will ALWAYS be ahead in terms of graphics. Cool
william
Surprisingly, I expected the price to be higher. It's not much more expensive than a single GeForce 7950 GX2 and it kills quad SLI.

@ psycosquirrel" I agree with you, one should wait 'til the 2nd revision. Imaging the hardware issues that may occur. And by the way, the Playstation 3 can output 1080p, so can the Xbox 360 with an update they made. Wink Anyway, the PC will always stay on top. I remember back in 1999 when a motion sensitive controller was made for the PC; and finally, a console has it. (I'm referring to PS3, not the Wii).

Anyway, nVidia is planning on launching even more cards. I think they have 2 cards inferior to the 8800 GTX and one superior. (8900 GTX). I also heard that, at some point, there will be a 8950 GX2. If the games utilize the cards, image the power with quad SLI. Shocked
ForceRun
Well here is my photos from the release.
http://www.forcerun.frih.net/photo/gflan3/index.html

The new vs the old, I wish I had a better shot, but this should give you a good idea of the 8800GTX and the 7900GTX

The new vs the old 3dMarks06 Scores!!!

The whole thing happen in a large tent in a parking lot in downtown San Jose

The new Nvidia model.

Her demo, using the new tech...

My winnings!!! And the new G680i MoBo

The Nvidia VicePriesdent or something

'Harry' the normal computer being over come by the new technology.

Nvidia is taking over the world!

Uses both CPUs types

The new techs coming out.

What went into the new Video cards and MoBo

Nvidia loves gamers, feel the love...

new Mobos, left G680i (intel) right G680a (AMD)

New techs of MoBos

Teaming using duel Gigabit ports!!

A lota hard drive space...

Quad SLi, feel free to spend over $2000 on video systems....

Time to overclock...

First showing of the GeForce 8800 GTX

The new unifed shaders, max preformance, and effency!

New cascade demo, Holy sweetness.

Side by side the new cards

the new demo showing off the new Directx10 and GeForce8 stuff

Husband saying how real she looks, lol

New Frog demo, plus new system running the new Mobo and GPU

Hope that gives you some ideas of what is going on. plz if you want better photos donate a tripod
Laughing
psycosquirrel
Laughing I got my tripod from walmart, only $15. Quite a good investment actually.

I really wish I had gone now... Oh well, too late. It looks like it was AWESOME.
william
@ ForceRun

WOW! That is incredible. The benchmarks comparing the 8800 GTX and 7900 GTX are incredible. (Especially the Half Life 2) That really makes the 7900 GTX seem obsolete. Those graphics are incredible. And going back to consoles, the PS3/Xbox 360 don't stand a chance.

Anyway, awesome card and not much more expensive than the 7950 GX2.
Vyriix
But it costs $600 right now.....

I would rather wait abit longer for like a year later when more DirectX 10 utilized game titles rolls out before getting a Geforce 8.

And from the pics... it's really realistic.
neosree
So for the time being, ATi is not in the picture absolutely, am I right. Is there any benchmarking with ATi flagship crossfire cards and Geforce 8800 GTX, I like to know how far Nvidia gone above ATi. Is there any scope for an ATi competitor in the coming months?
psycosquirrel
I would guess ATI, since it has merged with AMD, will not be presenting anything to rival this until at least next April.

Comparing ATI's best (FireGL v7350?) to the 8800GTX, the GTX completely stomps it at less than half the price. I mean, the 8800 can do almost 10x the shader operations in the same time as the 7350, the memory bandwidth is twice the 7350's, it has way more pipelines for everything, not to mention the core architechure is much, much, much newer and more efficient on the 8800GTX. Oh, and let's not forget the 7350 doesn't comply to the PCI-E requirements for wattage (it really needs two pci-e connectors like the GTX has).

In case you need more evidence: http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=389&card2=474
william
psycoquirrel wrote:
I would guess ATI, since it has merged with AMD, will not be presenting anything to rival this until at least next April.

Comparing ATI's best (FireGL v7350?) to the 8800GTX, the GTX completely stomps it at less than half the price. I mean, the 8800 can do almost 10x the shader operations in the same time as the 7350, the memory bandwidth is twice the 7350's, it has way more pipelines for everything, not to mention the core architechure is much, much, much newer and more efficient on the 8800GTX. Oh, and let's not forget the 7350 doesn't comply to the PCI-E requirements for wattage (it really needs two pci-e connectors like the GTX has).

In case you need more evidence: http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=389&card2=474

That's right. ATI is far below nVidia at this point. For a short time, ATI was ahead in the single card race, but Crossfire (not as good as SLI) resulted in nVidia at the top. Anyway, I've heard rumors that ATI will have a new card earlier than April. Though, April seems more reasonable and a more likely timing. But, nVidia might have the 8900 GTX out by then, and possibly, a 8950 GX2. With SLI, nVidia will be very difficult for ATI to catch. We'll just see what happens. (Oh yeah, if ATI will also still be using DirectX 9, not the latest version).
UnholyIntention
So what is the best now, ATI has a new card and so do Geforce
ForceRun
Wow this is a very old thread. I will state simply Nvidia Rules Forever and leave it at that. BTW if a thread is two years old and inactive, just start a new one.
william
You know, the new ATI cards aren't bad. If you're not getting an 8800 or a 9600 (or any higher 9 series card), ATI is actually a good choice. Their HD Radeon 3850 and 3870 are both great cards that offer a great value for the money. Sure they're weaker than the nVidia cards, but not everyone needs that power. All in all, I'd say both have their pros and cons and it really depends on the user's needs.
Helios
Better start a new thread. This one is really old and irrelative.

-close-