FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows 2000 advanced as web server?

sabe
I would like to run a windows 2000 web server. I am trying to create an intranet for use @ my school.

What type of hardware do I need to run one for a school of about 700 students. We have 2 labs, of about 30 machines, and each teacher has one. I figure the most we will have is 100 hits @ the start of each class. That is w/in the first 2 min. of the bell.

Will anything I can get/build work? Is 1 gig or ram enough? I have a few old machines that are 800 mhz with a gig of ram..

Thanks. Question Idea
{name here}
sabe wrote:
I would like to run a windows 2000 web server. I am trying to create an intranet for use @ my school.

What type of hardware do I need to run one for a school of about 700 students. We have 2 labs, of about 30 machines, and each teacher has one. I figure the most we will have is 100 hits @ the start of each class. That is w/in the first 2 min. of the bell.

Will anything I can get/build work? Is 1 gig or ram enough? I have a few old machines that are 800 mhz with a gig of ram..

Thanks. Question Idea

I believe the power should be enough. IIS or Apache would be able to fork out what you want unless you want to go for a more advanced configuration with telnet and things like that, in which case you'd need a unix server. But for this little intranet I would think a Windows 2000 machine with an HTTP server would be enough.
sabe
{name here} wrote:
sabe wrote:

Will anything I can get/build work? Is 1 gig or ram enough? I have a few old machines that are 800 MHz with a gig of ram..

Thanks. Question Idea

I believe the power should be enough. IIS or Apache would be able to fork out what you want unless you want to go for a more advanced configuration with telnet and things like that, in which case you'd need a UNIX server. But for this little intranet I would think a Windows 2000 machine with an HTTP server would be enough.

Thank you much. Do you know any way I can get some help if/when I have problems setting up. I'm a teacher and am trying to do this on my "spare" time. I just wish the district had the $ & forsight to have this for us teachers to use.
crdowner
Since you are working for a school I assume dollars are an issue. You could save a lot of money by using the standard version of Windows 2000 or Windows 2003. The Advanced verison is primarily for higher CPU counts, more than 4GB of RAM, and clustering.

You can get help in the forms or you can search the web in general.
{name here}
sabe wrote:
{name here} wrote:
sabe wrote:

Will anything I can get/build work? Is 1 gig or ram enough? I have a few old machines that are 800 MHz with a gig of ram..

Thanks. Question Idea

I believe the power should be enough. IIS or Apache would be able to fork out what you want unless you want to go for a more advanced configuration with telnet and things like that, in which case you'd need a UNIX server. But for this little intranet I would think a Windows 2000 machine with an HTTP server would be enough.

Thank you much. Do you know any way I can get some help if/when I have problems setting up. I'm a teacher and am trying to do this on my "spare" time. I just wish the district had the $ & forsight to have this for us teachers to use.

Newsgroups and Mailing lists for Apache are available if you need help. There shouldn't be too much trouble since setting up a simple HTTP server will only take 1 automated installer on windows(+ other installers if you want to use Perl, PHP, or other server-side scripting languages. MySQL will also need to be installed seperately if you need to use it)