FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

One of my teachers....

saint_clark
Uses the technique which, in my opinion, is the worst teaching technique ever devised in the history of schooling.
The lesson would start well, quite enthusiastic and surprisingly wanting to learn; then He walks in and starts talking, perhaps jotting something on the board every now and then. This continues for the next hour during which time you fall half asleep and actually end up in a worse position than you were when you started the lesson, because you have to waste time going over it later.
So the point of this post is to ask; what is everyones preferred teaching technique? (from the learning point of view).
wumingsden
saint_clark wrote:
Uses the technique which, in my opinion, is the worst teaching technique ever devised in the history of schooling.
The lesson would start well, quite enthusiastic and surprisingly wanting to learn; then He walks in and starts talking, perhaps jotting something on the board every now and then. This continues for the next hour during which time you fall half asleep and actually end up in a worse position than you were when you started the lesson, because you have to waste time going over it later.
So the point of this post is to ask; what is everyones preferred teaching technique? (from the learning point of view).

I had one "teachter" who acted very similar yet only I noticed that he was pathetic. This was even when he threatened to headbutt a student (I believe the actual phrase was something like "Don't make me headbutt you"). Personally I disliked the person and we have had a fight but that gives no teacher the right to say what he did.

1. I prefer that the teacher gets people involved in reading
2. Ask lots of questions to the students
3. Never "work from books" - you never remember what you've read

There are probably lots more but currently cannot think.
crdowner
Class involvement is always a good thing. People do not want to be embarrased so they tend to pay attention if they know they might have to answer a question or join a discussion.

Having a general discussion instead of question and answer works better for some people.
Soltair
Listening is quite good, unless the topic is really boring Razz Still, it shouldn't be like that for the whole class. A mix of many things is the best: personal work, project, listening, discussion... You remember better when you check something out with different ways.
meet in rio
I always listen when the teacher randomly picks on people in class. If there's a discernable pattern to the questioning then I tend to just work out which part of the text/problem/whatever I'll be asked to comment upon, and then just look at that bit rather than payinjg attention to everything.

My favourite teachers have been those who knew all our names and teased us incessantly.
Anticollie
Hmm, I like most teachers, but i find that I learn the best from an in-depth lecture. Writing down notes and hearing a person compliment on all aspects of that topic helps grind it into my brain for later. my least favorite way, would be when a teacher whip sout HER copy of a book, and then goes goes form there, if they don't take the time to know the material... why the hell should we?

Anticollie.
crono
I had a teacher who could not answer a question which was asked by his students even though the question was concerning the subject that he was teaching. How embarassing. he said i will get back to u later but never did. what kind of education is that?
NuniPio
lol i once had a teacher who made us copy down overheads and thats all.. he would read it out to us and we would just write it all out
thinker013
I am actually in the process of getting my K-8 BA, and I hope that I am not as bad as some of these mentioned. I think one of the most important characteristics of a good teacher is, they love what they do. If you have a teacher who loves not only to teach, but also loves what they teach about, then you will end up with a GREAT teacher. They have the excitment, and enthusiasm to get everyone in class to enjoy it, whether or not it is your favorite subject. Because not everyone learns in the same way, I think it's best to have a variety of techniques employed in class.

The best 2 professors I've had were my 2 philosophy teachers. They REALLY loved what they did, and got me to love it too. They used a couple different techniques, but it was their love of philosophy that really made a difference for me.
Chele
Insanity
If theres a chance that I would get called on to answer something, it makes me much less sleepy. But of course, that was for my high school classes; here in college there's much less of something like that happening, especially in lectures.
venkateshwarans
There are teachers who just come in start writing on the board , give a lecture and their job is over. There are teachers who give you a jokes on the class. There are some who keep kicking and blasting. I like the a jokes one.