FRIHOST Х FORUMS Х SEARCH Х FAQ Х TOS Х BLOGS Х COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PHP and MYSQL on the computer

Kurosaki-Ichigo
Well this is probablly what alot of people want and im going to ask this. IE cannot read PHP files offline. What i want is a MYSQL database and PHP on my computer so i can make scripts and view it right away without the need of a server.
wumingsden
Kurosaki-Ichigo wrote:
Well this is probablly what alot of people want and im going to ask this. IE cannot read PHP files offline. What i want is a MYSQL database and PHP on my computer so i can make scripts and view it right away without the need of a server.

You need a server to have a database and work with PHP files. Most use apache. Here is a list of things to help you. I personally recommend xampp - http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html or easyphp (shown in the other URL).
Traveller
Kurosaki-Ichigo wrote:

Since PHP and MySQL are "server-side" languages, you cannot run them without a server. This does not mean you cannot test them locally, however: instead, you need to set up YOUR system to act as a server, then test your programming by using the address 127.0.0.1 instead of a server name.

The things you will need to install are:
  • Apache (the web server)
  • PHP
  • MySQL
Since you mentioned IE, it must be presumed that you are using Windows. Although it IS possible to run the above items on Windows, it is NOT very good, and it would be MUCH better if you could install Linux on another system, hook it up to your home network, and point to it instead of 127.0.0.1 or a server on the Web.

Even once you do all that, you would still need to take into account that our servers may have different things installed from yours, and that some things that you test at home COULD work differently here, if they are relying upon your specific configuration.

Either way, the installations of the above items onto your system are best handled by your careful study and consideration of the instructions for Apache, PHP, and MySQL.
Alie
One more way, I think the easiet one - find and download denwer. This is virtual server that uses free space from your hard disk. Denwer packge already contains PHP4, MySQL4 with phpMyAdmin, also supports MySQL5, MSSQL, cgi and lots of other stuff.
Installation proccess will take 1 minute. The only thing you must do - choose disk from your hard disk for virtual server needs and to give name to new virtual disk. Twisted Evil
By the way - it's russian program. Respect Twisted Evil
[FuN]goku
as wumingsden suggested xampp.. i suggest the same thing. imo its the best out there if your doing local tests.
Alankurd
downaload wamp at www.wampserver.com
its great it has apache, mysql, php, and phpmyadmin all in one installation i really recommend it
X3 Talk
Havn't tried that one, but I am a Windows user and for my testing I use XAMPP for its easy install.
avk
Hey! i use wamp and it is also very good.
squirrelmaster
really i don't know the difference between them, but either would suffice any home testing need.

for actual web server with domains i am using xampp from my home, and everydns.net for dynamic dns, and i am happy with it (xampp even has webalizer!)
Stubru Freak
Just to test a simple script (although I don't think you can use MySQL this way), you can run php from the command-line. Just download and install php from the php website, and then call php like this:
Code:
C:\> cd C:\Program Files\PHP\
C:\Program Files\PHP\> php somePHPFile.php
rfwrangler
There are several PHP editors out there that will test scripts on your system while you develop them one is called Maguma Studio and I have used it a little for testing of scripts that I have written.

You can dowload it from here:
http://www.maguma.com/

If you want to put out the money Zend has a great editor.
http://www.zend.com

Good luck.
Kurosaki-Ichigo
Alie wrote:
One more way, I think the easiet one - find and download denwer. This is virtual server that uses free space from your hard disk. Denwer packge already contains PHP4, MySQL4 with phpMyAdmin, also supports MySQL5, MSSQL, cgi and lots of other stuff.
Installation proccess will take 1 minute. The only thing you must do - choose disk from your hard disk for virtual server needs and to give name to new virtual disk. Twisted Evil
By the way - it's russian program. Respect Twisted Evil

A russian program. Ill respect it but i dont think ill be able to read it. Isnt there a language for it. And where can i get it anyway ?
kamoe_x
I suggest WAMP or Nusphere.
MadWolf
XAMPP the best.
ѕользуюсь им уже 2 года Smile
manum
u need wamp

and wampserver.com is where u'll find it.........
squirrelmaster
MadWolf wrote:
XAMPP the best.
ѕользуюсь им уже 2 года Smile

and what does that mean in English please?? Rolling Eyes