FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Crochet, knitting...

quex
Okay... so maybe I've been doing this wrong the whole time...? All I can say is it's addictive and it makes nice stuff so... everybody, let's crochet!

If you've tried knitting and either couldn't figure it out, didn't like counting stitches, or were just plain bored with the time it took, maybe you'd like crochet instead. One hook, no needles. You can make any shape and connect anything to anything. Also, crochet makes a panel of fabric faster than knitting, as compared on similar hook/needle sizes with the same yarn. The knots that form each stitch are easy to learn and, once you've tried a few, can be done in a fast rhythm. No counting, as anyone with reasonable eyesight can see exactly where they are on each row. There are many more advantages, but it's more fun if you discover them on your own. ^_^

There were co-ed knitting clubs in university, and I've seen guys in the office using crochet hooks to fix their sweaters and vests. Don't be shy, boys! It's fun!

AND, I'd appreciate some help:

Apparently, I do not know the "correct" basic stitch for crochet, and have for years now been doing everything in Afghan stitch and treble. I have found many sites with descriptions and even video of the decided, titled stitches, but no good set of pictures to show the outcome of each, IE the resulting fabric. Anybody have a resource like that...?
Discovery
Crochet is great, but I haven't done it for years now! I hope I haven't forgotten, but I might be able to pick it up - I did enjoy it - very therapeutic! Thank you for reminding me about this hobby!
S3nd K3ys
Hrm. I haven't done that since high school, unless you count how I coil up my extension cords to store them. Shocked
quex
You know... I never thought of doing that to cords. Good idea.
S3nd K3ys
quex wrote:
You know... I never thought of doing that to cords. Good idea.

It's a lot better than winding it up in a circle. Doesn't get knotted, hangs well, and is easy to take out as much as you need without unwinding the whole thing. Wink
Daisie
I cant figure out crochet at all... and got no one around to explain it to me.

But I love knitting! I find it very relaxing while watching tv or on long journey in the car (and I cant stay with nothing to do lol).
Only learned 5 yrs ago because I got tired of asking my mom for jumper and cardies for my girls lol I just wish I did it earlier.
furtasacra
quex wrote:

Apparently, I do not know the "correct" basic stitch for crochet, and have for years now been doing everything in Afghan stitch and treble. I have found many sites with descriptions and even video of the decided, titled stitches, but no good set of pictures to show the outcome of each, IE the resulting fabric. Anybody have a resource like that...?

Hi! Check out http://learntocrochet.lionbrand.com -- there's a free tutorial of basic stitches there, with diagrams, in a PDF you can download and print.

I am a crocheting fool. Crochet is a wonderful hobby, because once you get good at it, you hardly even have to look at what you're doing, so you can watch TV and do something productive at the same time. And of course, you can make all kinds of nice gifts fairly inexpensively. And I'm NOT talking about granny afghans and tea cozies and doilies and all that awful 50's grandma stuff -- you can get great patterns in books and magazines, and for free on the internet, for stylish clothing, funky handbags, and non-tacky household accessories.

Right now I am making a chenille couch throw and a cabled sweater. I just finished a pair of fingerless gloves, and I almost wish I hadn't worn them out in public, because now half my friends want some, too. Rolling Eyes

Oops, something I meant to say and wandered off on a tangent - I have a book called "Crocheting School, A Complete Course" that not only has instructions for basic and advanced techniques but also close-up photographs of the finished fabrics. I got it from www.crafterschoice.com. It's a craft book club, but you can probably find it at Barnes & Noble or Amazon, too.