FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mainframe OSes

Studio Madcrow
Who here has ever used a mainframe? There were some pretty nifty OSes for those. I'm thinking specifically of the DEC PDP-10 and VAX. There's actually free public access systems available for both of those up.

For the PDP-10, check out http://sdf.lonestar.org/twenex/

It runs TOPS-20, an operating system that was way ahead of its time and introduced such things to the command line as a history mechanism and command completeion. Be sure to check out the HAUNT text adventure.

For the VAX (and it's OS, VMS) check out http://deathrow.vistech.net/

There you can get a free shell acount on a VMS cluster including a VAX and two Alpha systems, all names after (in)famous serial killers. Don't try to hack it though. VMS is banned from the Defcon convetion because it's been declared "unhackable"

Anyway, try these out and give opinions. Then you can say you've used a mainframe.
teko
coool!!!! thanks for that I've a friend who works with IBM mainframes so it would be cool to finally get to check one out
Studio Madcrow
Well, there are no "already set up" public access IBM mainframes, but the Hercules emulator allows you to set up your own on your PC. I tried but it's harder than DEC stuff (which I've actually set up in the SIMH emulator suite in the past)
muggle
Nice links, thanks a lot.
Studio Madcrow
muggle wrote:
Nice links, thanks a lot.

Hmm, so you on either of those systems yet?