FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Are you computer/internet addicted?

Do you feel that you are addicted to Computers/Internet? (Vote only after reading the post down)
Yes
69%
 69%  [ 32 ]
No
15%
 15%  [ 7 ]
Can't say/Don't know/Don't wish to say
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Trying to get rid of my addiction
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 46

saratdear
Do you feel that you are addicted to computers and internet? Do you feel that you spend more time on computers and internet that you originally decided you would? Do you get restless when you want to browse the net and send e-mails and all that stuff but can't do it because of something like a power failure/internet down problems etc.?

Wikipedia has this to say about internet addiction :-

Wikipedia wrote:

A pattern of Internet use, leading to clinically significant impairment or distress as manifested by three (or more) of the following, occurring at any time in the same 12-month period:

1. Tolerance, as defined by either of the following:
* A need for markedly increased amounts of time on Internet to achieve satisfaction.
* Markedly diminished effect with continued use of the same amount of time on Internet.
2. Withdrawal, as manifested by either A or B below:
* (A) the characteristic withdrawal syndrome, 1, 2 and 3 below
1. Cessation of (or reduction in) Internet use that has been heavy and prolonged.
2. Two (or more) of the following, developing within several days to a month after Criterion:
o (a) psychomotor agitation
o (b) anxiety
o (c) obsessive thinking about what is happening on the Internet
o (d) fantasies or dreams about the Internet
o (e) voluntary or involuntary typing movements of the fingers
3. The symptoms in Criterion 2 cause distress or impairment in social, occupational or another important area of functioning
* (B) Use of Internet or a similar on-line service is engaged in to relieve or avoid withdrawal symptoms.
3. Internet is often accessed more often or for longer periods of time than was intended.
4. There is a persistent desire or unsuccessful efforts to cut down or control Internet use.
5. A great deal of time is spent in activities related to Internet use (for example, buying Internet books, trying out new WWW browsers, researching Internet vendors, organizing files of downloaded materials).
6. Frequent talks about the Internet in daily life.
7. Important family, social, occupational, or recreational activities are given up or reduced in duration and/or frequency because of Internet use.
8. Internet use is continued despite knowledge of having a persistent or recurrent physical, family, social, occupational, or psychological problem that is likely to have been caused or exacerbated by Internet use (for example, sleep deprivation, marital difficulties, lateness for early morning appointments, neglect of occupational duties, or feelings of abandonment in significant others).

And this to say about computer addiction :-

Wikipedia wrote:

Computer addiction is an obsessive addiction to computer use.

The term was used by M. Shotton in 1989 in her book Computer Addiction, although the concept was discussed years earlier with British E-Learning academic Nicholas Rushby suggesting that people can be addicted to computers and suffer withdrawal symptoms in his book, An Introduction to Educational Computing in 1979. There are also examples of obsessive recreational users dating back to the first time-shared computer games, and many NetNews users were considered obsessive in the 1980s.

An extension of this behavior is the less credible proposed Internet addiction disorder, which suggests that people can not only be addicted to an artifact, such as a computer, but also an environment, i.e. the Internet.

As gaming in the form of PC games and game consoles from various companies like Nintendo and Sega caught on and spread through the end of the millennium, the use of Internet as an increasingly viable medium for communication also rose, and traditional offline activities such as politics and dating began to take advantage of online capability. As a result, computer addiction became a more serious study, and a more vocal social concern.

With the almost-ubiquitous use of computers in the 21st century, it has become increasingly difficult to distinguish users who are merely highly engaged in their computer use from those who could be considered truly addicted. Criteria based on the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders criteria for substance dependency is often used to distinguish extensive use of computers from compulsive over-use, or addiction.

In 2004 the Finnish Defence Forces revealed that they allow some conscripts to postpone their military service for three years for dependence on computer games and the Internet.[citation needed]

The study of cybersex, emotional infidelity, the impact of computer use or violent video games on the brain's capacity for empathy and sympathy, the dangers associated with dating systems and obsession with computer games are all part of this field.

Much as I like computers and internet, I think that an addiction to this is not good. I feel I do spend more time on computer and net than I am supposed to, so I am trying to cut down computer use. Besides, sitting for long hours on front of the computer can really damage your eyes.

What do you all think?
Annush_K
I used to be a badly addict some months ago, I would really spend all my time near the computer. If not my parents who told me off, I'd be there 24/7... I'm so grateful to them that I didn't damage my eyes in those days. Though all of my thoughts were related to internet life, friends, sites, galleries etc. This was caused, I think, by the fact I was an outcast at school and didn't have any friends irl, only exams related stress, so Internet was a way to escape the pressures.
Now I'm off school, getting higher education, having new company, lots of new friends and interesting studies, so I've cut down internet use to 2 hours/day from almost 12. I'm really glad I -almost- got over my addiction, because real life turned out so exciting and fun Razz
Discovery
I wouldn't say that I am addicted, because I can do without. I do spend quite a lot of time on the computer though.
rfarrand
these days...who isn't computer/internet addicted...maybe older folks who never got that much into computers, for example my grandparents, they have never even used a computer. It is crazy how much kids and adults these days are using computers...its insane...go outside and play. find something new to do...be active...its no wonder americans these days are over weight and out of shape...too much tv and computer and not enough physical activity... its sad what is happening more and more these days...
saint_clark
I've certainly felt a need recently to update constantly; I love having the latest and coolest looking programs.
The new Windows Media Player looks incredible.
However, the latest Internet Explorer is cr*p.
GProject
Well, I wouldn't say I was addicted, but I do like using the internet & my computer in general. There's lots to do and see, plus I use it for keeping in contact with my friends & family while I'm away from home.
defnet
I love being online and doing stuff on the internet. I could do this ALL day long, but still I don't think that I am addicted cuz I can do without it (for a limited period offcourse Razz). It's like television and girlzzz, a MAGNET!!!!
angelussum
I'd say so, yeah.

Addiction is such a hard word though - a huge social stigma against it. I think a lot of people are addicted, but no one's going to go around and say 'I'm an internet addict'. People don't think of the internet as an addiction either, but honestly, the signs are there, and the medical / scientific community are just starting to catch up with the times.
Keran
I'm not addicted to Internet or computers, i only use them excessively when i have to make something for the school or something like that...
Well maybe i play almost all of the new games, but that doesn't mean i already don't have a life
cuckoo
I hate being addicted to computers... I just love them! Well i'm more internet addicted... because of the community!
calanit
for sure! I work with computers all the time! I'm tech support for internet. can't live without my computer!
thealpha
I am sure I have been an internet / computer addictor since I was fifteen. I must turn on my computer day by day, from day to night
anburiku
must attempt...to stop... addiction! I'm so addicted, my typing speed is 115 or 113 (can't remember) words per minute, all correct
hofodomo01
ya know what, i'm actually running out of things to do on the internet...

i remember when i first got cable, i was all like "YAYAYAY kickass!!"

now i just waste away on ytmnd.com...
Pablo Diablo
I would say I am defintily addicted. I know because I'd rather be on my computer and surfing the net / using some application then going out and socializing.

Since I first got a computer I spend all day on it, 8 hours a day at work on a computer, then approximately 2 - 4 more hours when I get home. I am trying to use it much less while at home, and will eventually phase it out all together.
marcmgeronimo
Yes I think I am an internet addict already. Simply because you can always find me online if I am in the office or at home (and sometimes even if I am on vacation). This is because my life now generally evolves on the internet. I do lots of communication with people through the internet, I stay in touch with my friends through Friendster and yahoo Messenger. I do my financial activities in the internet and I also do shopping in the internet. Even at home I do stuffs in the internet. I think I can't live without a broadband at home now.
Chelissamow
I'm pretty addicted to the computer. However, I've recently started cutting down on my time on here by only doing things that are necessary (doing homework)
heridlia
I guess that addicted to the computer is not too bad.

Enjoy your addict. I usually using computer in average 8 horus/day.

And I'm enjoy about that.

Thanks.
scandatanta
I am nearly always on the internet but I've definately cut down playing computer games and such. Internet is just a wonderful tool to do all sorts of things on and since I have Social Anxiety its been my best friend!
fizzo
Im almost spending my all time with my PC and I enjoyed a lot when Im online and surfing the web. I also get online for 4-6 hours because of NBA Live Leagues I joined but thats all it, sometimes I use the interenet for studying on web development. I might say Im an addicted to PC and internet.. but I think its not that bad as long as you gain knowledge something out of the long hours spending on my computer.
Tatsumaru
I used to be addicted, but I'm not anymore. Not that much anyway. Too much stuff to do for school... well, I often use the computer for schoolwork so that makes me dislike the computer. Yes...
KoiboySG1
I can call myself no computer addict. I, however, frequently sit behind my computer Surprised .
I am more busy with watching dvd’s.
ganesh
I am ashamed to admit that I am a crazy computer addict Sad

The first thing that I do in the mornings after getting up is to check my work and personal e-mail, and then log on to a popular social networking site (Orkut); I also end up watching at least 3-4 movies every week on my computer, and of course, my work also involves working on computers. I guess I spend at least 80% of the time I am awake in front of a computer. Should try to bring it down somehow!
Daisie
Stay at home mom with nothing to do, I m a puter addict. Embarassed
Without it I wouldnt talk to anyone (conversation is very limited with a 2 yr old and my grown up friends work during the day) wouldnt have anything to think about or learn or do!
I started building web site and doing maintenance for some friends (to justify my time on puter lol) now so I dont think my puter time is going to go down anytime soon...
But I know when to stop so it's not all bad Wink
jayrelle
I can also call my self an internet addict because I feel that my day isnt complete without internet.. Wink
Captain Fertile
I use the computer, and the internet in particular far too much.

Luckily I have the most patient and understanding wife in the world and she puts up with me.

I will however, have to cut down my use but will find it difficult after becoming attached to so many sites etc. This rather pathetic but I is very enjoyable.

That said, I think an hour on the internet is a lot better than an hour in front of the TV – at least with the internet your brain is quite active, it is a much more proactive medium than TV.

Regards
The Captain
khairulsyahir
I think so. I am. Maybe. Well, perhaps.
Dragonfly
According to the time I spend on the internet, I must be counted as an addict. But in fact, I'm really not... because I go online and work online for many things.... so, its a necessity...
TeenZine
The truth is yes. I'm always online and when by chance im not on aim My Aim Bot is online. Hes so real (the one im building) you wont know hes a bot.
RisingSunn
HI, my name is Josh and I am a recovering computer junkie. In my previous marriage that failed miserably, I spent 4 to 8 hrs a day playing Everquest as an escape to a dead end life.
Since then I have remarried and have had to deal with nagging urge to play online games, surf the internet or just play around on my computer. I have been married for 4 years now and I STILL want to escape real life into my PC even though I have a great life. But I am slowly starting realize that the real world has a lot more to offer if I want to work for it.
datter
I'm addicted, but I'm ok with that.
jeanoradean
I guess I am....but I'm trying to better my life! Anyway, it's harder during cold season, during the summer I'm much more outside anyway!
fashioncrimewave
Yes, I am addicted. I play computer games waaay too much.

Over the christmas holiday I think I played about 8-10 hours a day. The only reason I would stop is that my wrist and arm started to get fatigued from working the mouse. Smile

I try to make some rules to prevent me from too much computer, like not playing with it until after 8 PM. But it's tough.
Alias
I hate to admit it that but really I'm addict to internet. Though I'm addict with it in a resourceful way like doing websites, searching tutorials and earning money.
sp_cosmetic
Yes, I am one of those who really addict to the internet. In fact, I can't imagine my life without the internet. I use the internet everyday to work and to surf for fun stuff. Should we try to get rid off this habit?
Jakob [JaWGames]
I sit alot on the internet in the evenings but I wouldn't go so far that I say that I am addicted, I like to be on the internet but I survive without it.
m00tmuffin
I am completely addicted to the internet, for sure, haha. It's not at all uncommon for me to spend the entire night/following morning just browsing stuff, it's actually closer to being the norm. I can function without it but if you put a computer in front of me I get easily sucked in. Tweaking with photos, writing, checking email and myspace/facebook and all that dumb stuff, gaming...you name it, and I'm all doing it at the same time. Hehe. My computer usage has gone down quite a bit since my computer died back in November but I'm going to soon be building a new computer and it'll all go downhill after that. I can survive without it but my productivity in regards to doing other stuff comes to a screeching halt if I stay on the computer too long, which is kind of sad also. I really can't imagine life without the net!
DILLIGAF
I was real bad at one time. I would spend 6-7 hours on every night and 12-14 hours a day on the weekends. I have had to force myself to cut back. I now spend 3-4 hours 3 nights a week and 4-5 hours a day on weekends. The one thing that helped was a granddaughter, I now spend time with her when I can.
spinnersandweavers
I wouldn't say that I'm addicted though I do spend a lot of time on my computer. I think my biggest issue is that I'm on dial-up on a VERY slow line. We can't get cable or hi-speed and DSL is too expensive so I'm stuck in the dar ages... which really sucks since I'm the webmaster for several websites. Maintaining them can be very time consuming just because of the wait time.
Alina
well, it's really hard to say, but... yes, i am... i start a day turning my computer on - even if i will have to leave in half an hour, have a breakfast in front of it, when i come back home the first thing i do is turning it on again. and i turn it off only when i'm going to sleep... my parents start yelling at me because i spent all my free time on-line...
Ethan Bradley
I used to be addictd to Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy... I played the game religiously, and I was in a clan which had the game modded and you went around Role Playing. (Sad, I know) All my thoughts when away from it were of how I would promote myself to Jedi Knight, from padawan, to Jedi Master... (Then I would have admin powers!!!) But I was so fed up with it all that I uninstalled the game and broke the game disc in two! It was the best thing I ever did. Shocked
cruisearound
I think i would have to say yes, having 4 computers 1 server & a laptop on the go, being involved in IT means its pretty hard to not be addicted.
scimitarmoon
I would say no. I do spend a lot of time on the computer, but... for one thing, I have to use a computer a lot for my job and for schoolwork (most of which is turned in online or at least typed or read on a computer). And for another thing, I spend a lot of time doing other things as well as using the internet/computer.
studsstudio
no, I am not addicted to the internet, but I spend a lot of time with the computer. And I shouldn't because it isn't necessary. When I'm not writing a paper or so, I switch to games and so still are staring at a screen.
Hoogeveense RAT
I spend a lot of time on the internet, but I don't call myself an addict because for me it's also work. I earn money with making websites and I also have to do a lot of homework for school at the PC or on the internet. So without htese things I don't spend too much time on the internet, in my opinion.
yaashop
I used to be one of the game addicted but now somebody forced me to stop XD I still surfing on the net to ind something to do everyday but just no more game for me T_T
mark25
I'm so addicted with it and trying to lessen it!... I love coding PHP! soooo addicted with it! lol... and in computer games too!
silentdae
I'd say i'm pretty addicted. I wake up, get on the computer. I get off the computer, go to bed. I spend at least 9 hours on it a day. But i think it's fine because programming is going to be my career soon. Most of my time is spent programming.
Captain Fertile
I've just realised how addicted I am, I just booked a holiday for August and one of the first things I thought about was, I hope there is somewhere to go online while I am away.

I guess this shows my addict staus and should really be a wake-up call.

I need to spend the next few months weaning myself off the Internet so I don't have to go cold turkey in August (I sont have a lap-top and dont know if there is a cyber-cafe etc. where I am going).
okullar
It looks like many people here think that being addicted is a good thing. It is not good, I think noone should be proud of this.