FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

If your CD Drives are missing...

frenchy
Hi ive done a couple of jobs this week where my clients seem to have lost there CD Drives.

To fix this problem do the following...

Go to Start \ Run then type regedit and press enter

U should have the Registry Editor window opening up.

Look for the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class

then ur looking for the key:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Once that is open your looking to DELETE the LowerFilters and the UpperFilters

once all that is done just reboot your PC and you should have your drives back.

NOTE: Ive only tryed it on XP and 2000 so far.

Hope this help someone.

-FRENCHY-
Teddy1
Thanks for this Smile. Worked a treat, i have Windows XP Pro sp2. Much appreciated.
Traveller
Yep. It's all a part of an incomplete removal of Roxio Easy CD Creator 5. Here are Roxio's complete instructions, of which what you did is but one step.

Edit: Forgot to add - this may be something you'll need to do when trying to install the 7.5 upgrade for AVG Anti-Virus, since it will report that the older version of Roxio has a bug that causes problems for AVG 7.5. Although the AVG installation screen provides a link to the latest version of Roxio, you may not wish to perform that update if your never actually use Roxio (e.g. you prefer Nero instead). Thus, if you get that message when trying to update AVG, and you want to get rid of Roxio, or you thought you had already done so, but need to get rid of the remaining traces of it, then you'll need to exit the AVG update, follow the instructions at that link completely, THEN re-run the AVG update.
FaLLeN
AHH!
Question: My problem is, i have a DVD burner and DVD rom, and when i restart my pc (rarely) it will show both and they will work, but when i leeave it on for a while ONLY the DVD Burner is detected...if i do what you said will it fix it, or will it just stuff up my pc?
I use AVG, so it kinda makes sence why it happens, just dont know why only 1 of my drives gets undetected Shocked
Traveller
FaLLeN wrote:
AHH!
Question: My problem is, i have a DVD burner and DVD rom, and when i restart my pc (rarely) it will show both and they will work, but when i leeave it on for a while ONLY the DVD Burner is detected...if i do what you said will it fix it, or will it just stuff up my pc?
I use AVG, so it kinda makes sence why it happens, just dont know why only 1 of my drives gets undetected Shocked

I wish I could tell you, but I'm not sure.

In general, I have always considered Roxio to be suspicious and invasive, since it is one of those things that often comes pre-installed on new computers (as with all the AOL and MSN free-trial garbage, etc.), and because it has a history of being difficult to install. The very fact that a software package is unable to clean up after itself properly when being uninstalled makes me wonder if that software really does its actual job properly in the first place.

On the other hand, if you have been using Roxio to do your burning, then doing what I said will mean that you will no longer be able to burn the way you used to, and that you will need to start using something ELSE to do the burning. Then again, I think Nero is so much better, anyway, that the "loss" of Roxio has never been a problem for me.
frenchy
FaLLeN wrote:
AHH!

Give it a shot i don't really think ull stuff your PC by deleting these two files.
Ive deleted these file a few times now and its nevers failed to slve my problem of recovering the Drives. It hasn't done anything else to the machines, or at least nothing notisable.
FaLLeN
Hmmm i looked for the files in the spot you said, and they wern't there Sad
But im pretty sure Roxio has never been on my PC.
Do you think it could be daemon tools doing it?
It's bad that i cant remember when it started cause id be able to think of what programs id installed around when it started going missing.
Its quite an annoying problem to say the least Sad
Slick
i had this problem of a dvd drive disappearing and nothing seemed to work i.e. clearing the data values etc...

all i simply did was double click add hardware waited for windows to kick its arse...

then selected the hardware is already connected and the missing drive was in the list... clicked that windows thought for a while then said finish etc

drive re-appeared in my computer and devices!