FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Google Beta is Unreliable?

akshar
Google's Gmail service and you are using it for anything that you consider critical, I suggest you read this

Please use quote tags wrote:
set up a Gmail account earlier this year. I soon grew to love its, yes, quirky ways of organizing messages as conversations; I didn’t have to worry about size; I never got spam; and since it’s Web-based I could quickly check it whenever and wherever I wanted. I soon started telling family and friends to email me there
But somewhere amid all this Google-loving enthusiasm we all forgot one thing: Gmail is a beta project. A painful lesson, as it turned out
I went to get some important contact information out of his account and he got a quintessentially quirky message saying there was a server problem. Something like: “Cross your fingers and try again in a few seconds,” the screen read. For more than 24 hours he kept trying back and got the same message. Quirky quickly became loathsome.
Note that I'm not saying that any of the other free e-mail services are any better. But sometimes it seems that the larger Google gets, the less responsive they become to the users of their services. I hope that's just the appearance and not the reality, because it would be a real shame if the culture at Google is changing so that they just don't give a rip about their users anymore

In fact there’s a whole Google group called "Gmail down"
http://groups.google.com/group/Gmail-down

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5145/1af9.jpg

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/2134/2bl7.jpg
Hogwarts
Well, I have some points to make.

Firstly. Google is God and you shouldn't doubt what google does.

Secondly, it's a free service. They provide 2gb space per person, which cannot come cheap; but they are giving it away for free. You can't exactly go up to google and complain because they are not obliged to do anything for you.

Finally, it's never been down when I've gone on there, and I check my inbox every couple of hours.

It's got more then a 99% uptime, therefore it IS reliable Wink
Star Wars Fanatic
I have to agree with Hogwarts, Gmail has never given me trouble, although I don't use the Orkat, so that might have something to do with it, but, like Hogwarts said, they give you so much, for free, you shouldn't really expect them to have it all perfect and treat you like you have been paying for it.
akshar
but I have got serious issues with the search they provide for your mails. Though google is synonimous for search I have very serious problems with it.

I have got a mail in my inbox from a person Nagraj

His contact is there in my contacts list but when I search for the term I dont get any results.
Lord Klorel
I am using Google Mail for a few years now, and i haven't see any problems with it. Sometimes a problem with an attachment, but the servers can handle with it.
As long this service continue i am very happy, because it is the only mail server with that capacity.
akshar
the problems with attachment are due to the fact that Gmail does not allow EXE files in any form as attachment.
So if you zip an exe also it wont work.
Hogwarts
akshar wrote:
the problems with attachment are due to the fact that Gmail does not allow EXE files in any form as attachment.
So if you zip an exe also it wont work.

Then how about 7-zip it? Even my school computers have 7-zip Razz

Or, you could just rename the file so that it's not .exe (Couldn't you?)
HoboPelican
Anyone else have questions about that quote?
Quote:

I went to get some important contact information out of his account and he got a quintessentially quirky message saying there was a server problem.

Notice the change in pronouns from "I" to "he". It went from a first person story to a "some guy" story. That kinda makes me doubt the whole issue. He never mentioned if he got the info after 24 hours, either. Those little things makes it sound like goggle-bashing. Total server downtime would be interesting to see, but anecdotal evidence like that means nothing to me.
X3 Talk
About .exe files, you just rename it to a .txt file and get them to do the same at the other end. People may get suspicious, though, if you start sending 20mb text files around.