FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What do you think about Satanism

drdestiny
no im not talking about the worship of satan.

If you want more info go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satanism

but anyways, I find satansim quite intresting, I like its atheistic/indidualism/buddhist combination.

/discuss
Jazradem
It suits me perfectly. The whole black magic thing is slightly wierd, but I guess it's mostly for fun.

Been trying to get a copy of the satanic bible so I can read more about it.
joxang
.........the problem being that most people end up worshipping satan anyway and delude themselves into thinking they can be forgiven for doing crazy sick things to other people.

It's good as a philosophy, and interesting as a set of ideals. The jump to worshiping its ideas as a religion is one I don't think people should take.
The Conspirator
joxang, satanism is atheist, there is no devil or god(s), it only uses Satan as a symbol.
MyNameIsJim
I'm not exactly a fan of the whole self centered idea, while I agree that people need to search themselves for answers first, do you really think that the world would be a better place if people really followed these tennents? If people were really only concerned with themselves and what others could give them?
Soulfire
Quote:
Theistic Satanists believe Satan is an actual deity. Satanists claim that they experience a "dark" divinity or powerful entity behind the forces of darkness, knowledge, animal energy and freedom in their lives
And you people said that it wasn't worshipping the actual Satan. Hrm, Wikipedia seems to disagree with you.

To each his own - I'm very against worshipping anyone or anything other than God.
Tyler
The very idea of worshipping Satan make me feel most uneasy. I have to come to love God so, and I will not worship the Tempter of Evil.
The Conspirator
Satanists do not worship Satan, they don't even believe in Satan,, there are those that worship a god named Satan or Lucifer, that Lucifism.
jeanoradean
The Conspirator wrote:
Satanists do not worship Satan, they don't even believe in Satan,, there are those that worship a god named Satan or Lucifer, that Lucifism.

This is exactly what he (Satan) wants you to believe. But of course he is still Satan, the father of all evil. His ultimate goal is to destroy you and this you WILL find out if you get involved in satanism. It will only be much harder to get out then. There is hope though, Jesus can and will set you free, His ultimate goal is you salvation. The choice seems so simple to me but some people just don't like simple I guess
The Conspirator
Please, no meaningless religious rhetoric.

Satanism comes from the philosephy of Anton LeVay who wrote The Satanic Bible anf founder of the Church of Satan. The philosephy is best sumed up in these.

The Nine Satanic Statements
Satan represents indulgence instead of abstinence!
Satan represents vital existence instead of spiritual pipe dreams!
Satan represents undefiled wisdom instead of hypocritical self-deceit!
Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it, instead of love wasted on ingrates!
Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek!
Satan represents responsibility to the responsible instead of concern for psychic vampires!
Satan represents man as just another animal, sometimes better, more often worse than those that walk on all-fours, who, because of his “divine spiritual and intellectual development,” has become the most vicious animal of all!
Satan represents all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification!
Satan has been the best friend the Church has ever had, as He has kept it in business all these years!

The Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth
Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.
Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.
When in another’s lair, show him respect or else do not go there.
If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat him cruelly and without mercy.
Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.
Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and he cries out to be relieved.
Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.
Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.
Do not harm little children.
Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.
When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him.

The Nine Satanic Sins
Stupidity—The top of the list for Satanic Sins. The Cardinal Sin of Satanism. It’s too bad that stupidity isn’t painful. Ignorance is one thing, but our society thrives increasingly on stupidity. It depends on people going along with whatever they are told. The media promotes a cultivated stupidity as a posture that is not only acceptable but laudable. Satanists must learn to see through the tricks and cannot afford to be stupid.
Pretentiousness—Empty posturing can be most irritating and isn’t applying the cardinal rules of Lesser Magic. On equal footing with stupidity for what keeps the money in circulation these days. Everyone’s made to feel like a big shot, whether they can come up with the goods or not.
Solipsism—Can be very dangerous for Satanists. Projecting your reactions, responses and sensibilities onto someone who is probably far less attuned than you are. It is the mistake of expecting people to give you the same consideration, courtesy and respect that you naturally give them. They won’t. Instead, Satanists must strive to apply the dictum of “Do unto others as they do unto you.” It’s work for most of us and requires constant vigilance lest you slip into a comfortable illusion of everyone being like you. As has been said, certain utopias would be ideal in a nation of philosophers, but unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately, from a Machiavellian standpoint) we are far from that point.
Self-deceit—It’s in the “Nine Satanic Statements” but deserves to be repeated here. Another cardinal sin. We must not pay homage to any of the sacred cows presented to us, including the roles we are expected to play ourselves. The only time self-deceit should be entered into is when it’s fun, and with awareness. But then, it’s not self-deceit!
Herd Conformity—That’s obvious from a Satanic stance. It’s all right to conform to a person’s wishes, if it ultimately benefits you. But only fools follow along with the herd, letting an impersonal entity dictate to you. The key is to choose a master wisely instead of being enslaved by the whims of the many.
Lack of Perspective—Again, this one can lead to a lot of pain for a Satanist. You must never lose sight of who and what you are, and what a threat you can be, by your very existence. We are making history right now, every day. Always keep the wider historical and social picture in mind. That is an important key to both Lesser and Greater Magic. See the patterns and fit things together as you want the pieces to fall into place. Do not be swayed by herd constraints—know that you are working on another level entirely from the rest of the world.
Forgetfulness of Past Orthodoxies—Be aware that this is one of the keys to brainwashing people into accepting something new and different, when in reality it’s something that was once widely accepted but is now presented in a new package. We are expected to rave about the genius of the creator and forget the original. This makes for a disposable society.
Counterproductive Pride—That first word is important. Pride is great up to the point you begin to throw out the baby with the bathwater. The rule of Satanism is: if it works for you, great. When it stops working for you, when you’ve painted yourself into a corner and the only way out is to say, I’m sorry, I made a mistake, I wish we could compromise somehow, then do it.
Lack of Aesthetics—This is the physical application of the Balance Factor. Aesthetics is important in Lesser Magic and should be cultivated. It is obvious that no one can collect any money off classical standards of beauty and form most of the time so they are discouraged in a consumer society, but an eye for beauty, for balance, is an essential Satanic tool and must be applied for greatest magical effectiveness. It’s not what’s supposed to be pleasing—it’s what is. Aesthetics is a personal thing, reflective of one’s own nature, but there are universally pleasing and harmonious configurations that should not be denied.

No God, no Satan, its just an atheist philosophy with selfishness and magic added and named after a Jewish, Christan and Muslim myth (cause Levay knew that. if you cause controversy, you get attention and you can make money off of it)
Perfect for those Goth teen who really won't to piss off there parents.
kiawa77
Having grown up Catholic, forced to go to a Catholic high school, and subsequently am no longer Catholic... I've often read about lots of different philosophies and religions. However, I always shied away from "Satanism" because ooooo, the devil is bad! But having recently purchased a copy of the Satanic Bible, I am amazed at how logical and relatively "un-evil" it truly is. Living my life along those guidelines seems to make more sense than to be endlessly crapped on by the world around you, only to turn the other cheek.

Just my few cents.
velcrobandits
I agree with some but not all of the Satanic rules. I used to be a firm believer in the kill or be killed mentality. I strove to only better and gratify myself. It does work, to a certain extent. When you lend yourself out to others and do things that seemingly have no positive gain for yourself, you can find things that you couldn't have before. Of course, in the grand scheme of things, this could be an extension of Satanism. Ifyou plot your life out correctly, and give up certain things and make sacrifices that would seem to be against the doctrine of Satanism, and then get rewarded much later on, this could be seen as a Satanist plotting greater gratification way down the line. But no one has that kind of forethought. Anyway, with effort, you can make both yourself happy and satisfied and others as well. Satanism just doesn't leave room for the latter.
Arseniy
It's very difficult thing. I have some friends satanists and I'm atheist in spirit. This religion (if it's religion) is awful and chaotic evil. Ah... you need to speak to satanist for understand.
Cole
Quote:
Having grown up Catholic, forced to go to a Catholic high school, and subsequently am no longer Catholic... I've often read about lots of different philosophies and religions.

Oddly enough... I think this is the number one cause of Athiests.
As in "Being forced to attend something for a religion". I was forced to attend CCD and rebelled against it. Oddly enough now I attend church almost every Sunday....kind of funny an Athiest attending church more than some Catholic kids...

Although I agree with some of Satanism's thoughts... I prefer to base everything on my own moral values not from some book or somebody elses ideas. I base my ideas and morals on my own experiences.
MyNameIsJim
The one thing I don't understand, is that if Satanists don't actually believe in Satan then why is the "religion" call SATANism? It seems to me that that would be a pretty bold statement that at the very least Satan exists, so excuse me if I find the rhetoric that Satanists don't believe in Satan kind of hard to swallow.
The Conspirator
My opinion: It was the hippie era, and there are people who know how to make money of controversy, Anton LeVay was one of them.

Satanists use Satan as a symbol, not as a god or actual creature.

If you had clicked the link in the first post you would have already read this.
stone1343
I think Satanism was named to be deliberately inflammatory or provocative & can't even be called a religion. It's just a bunch of people trying to get attention.
Indi
Cole wrote:
Quote:
Having grown up Catholic, forced to go to a Catholic high school, and subsequently am no longer Catholic... I've often read about lots of different philosophies and religions.

Oddly enough... I think this is the number one cause of Athiests.

Think so? i would have thought the number one cause of atheists is sex.

stone1343 wrote:
I think Satanism was named to be deliberately inflammatory or provocative & can't even be called a religion. It's just a bunch of people trying to get attention.

Who decides what is and what is not a religion? Religion doesn't require deities or worship, you know.

Way i see it, Satanism certainly meets the criteria, tongue-in-cheek though it may seem at first. It (albeit obliquely) describes the nature and creation of the universe (by implying that it is entirely physical - that there is no mystical component (magic does not imply mystical; the magic may be part of the universe)). It has a moral code. And from a certain perspective, it even has a deity - self.

You may not like it, and you may not agree with it. Neither of those factors affect whether it's a religion or not.
bluedragon
The Conspirator wrote:
My opinion: It was the hippie era, and there are people who know how to make money of controversy, Anton LeVay was one of them.

concept of Satan = Christian mythology
the_mariska
Indi wrote:
Think so? i would have thought the number one cause of atheists is sex.

And is sex against religion?
Quote:

Provocative - yeah, like hell. [just found out how stupid it sounds in this context Wink]
Religion - they don't want to be called religion either, they claim it's a philosophy or a way of life. So why should we call them so?
Trying to get attention - do they really have to? In fact, much more people are virtually following their rules than had ever heard anything about the philosophy of satanism. Well, everyone that is totally egoistic is somehow a satanist, and everyone that searches for true love is somehow a believer [as he believes in love, which is the opposition of egoism]. In this sense there are plenty of 'satanists' among the followers of all of the religions, as well as many 'believers' among the atheists. Ironic, isn't it?
The Conspirator
bluedragon wrote:
The Conspirator wrote:

concept of Satan = Christian mythology

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satanism wrote:
"Satan" is appropriated as a positive symbol of this worldview, an archetype or the ultimate symbol of the self and egotism. LaVey explains that Satan is only a symbol in an interview with Washington Post magazine.

"Satan is just a symbol, nothing more," LaVey says. "Satan signifies our love of the worldly and our rejection of the pallid, ineffectual image of Christ on the cross."

Quote:
God in Satanism

The Satanist does not believe in the Judeo-Christian-Islamic idea of God; the function of God is performed and satisfied by the Satanist him/herself. That is, the needs of worship, ritual, and religious/spiritual focus are directed, effectively, inwards towards the Satanist, as opposed to outwards, towards God.

LaVey proposes instead that as all gods are creations of man, worship of an external deity is worship of its creator by proxy. He suggests, then, that the rational Satanist should instead internalize his god, and therefore worship himself; hence the Satanic maxim, "I am my own god."

It follows that Satanism shuns the idea of belief in all other deities as well, including, to the surprise of many, Satan. Satan is viewed as a literary archetype, along the lines of John Milton's epic hero. This archetype is viewed not as a negative figure, but as a positive image of pride and mastery in opposition to servitude, faith, and humility.

Belief in any such externalized deities is generally considered grounds for excluding someone as a Satanist, and devil worship in particular is considered nothing more than a misguided inversion of Christianity.

The Nine Satanic Statements
Satan represents indulgence instead of abstinence!
Satan represents vital existence instead of spiritual pipe dreams!
Satan represents undefiled wisdom instead of hypocritical self-deceit!
Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it, instead of love wasted on ingrates!
Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek!
Satan represents responsibility to the responsible instead of concern for psychic vampires!
Satan represents man as just another animal, sometimes better, more often worse than those that walk on all-fours, who, because of his “divine spiritual and intellectual development,” has become the most vicious animal of all!
Satan represents all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification!
Satan has been the best friend the Church has ever had, as He has kept it in business all these years!

No god, no devil.
drdestiny
MyNameIsJim wrote:
The one thing I don't understand, is that if Satanists don't actually believe in Satan then why is the "religion" call SATANism? It seems to me that that would be a pretty bold statement that at the very least Satan exists, so excuse me if I find the rhetoric that Satanists don't believe in Satan kind of hard to swallow.

iono, maybe a satire of the catholicism
Bannik
MyNameIsJim wrote:

maybe because was the first person to say no too god and be his own god?....just a thought...
mike1reynolds
I once met a Satanist of 11 years who carried the Satanic Bible around with him wherever he went. For about a week I had kept hearing about this guy and everyone in the situation I was in was trying to steer us together. When I finally met him we hit it up really well, I was shocked at what a thoughtful fellow he was. So I picked up his book and started reading it to find out what was really going on.

I kept finding lies in the Satanic Bible, not about Christianity, it hardly touched that subject, but rather lies about Buddhism and Hinduism. If you have even a basic understanding of the spiritual aspects of Yoga, you can see that the Satanic Bible is full of lies about it. It tries to set up Satanism as a morally equivalent parallel to Yoga and Hinduism/Buddhism. Even as diverse as this is (Buddhism is a radical non-theistic departure from the totally theistic Hinduism), never the less Satanism clearly and unmistakably is not the moral equivalent of either of these.

Whenever LeVay makes an analogy between Satanism and Eastern Mysticism, he is always distorting Eastern religions, and in a way that MUST be knowing in my opinion. For example, LeVay falsely claims that the goal of yoga is to gain spiritual and psychic power. This in fact violates one of the EIGHT LIMBS OF YOGA (to both Buddhists and Hindus this is like the 10 commandments) one of which says that one is never trying to gain any kind of power, spiritual or otherwise. The purpose of yoga is to find God, and dabbling with power, whether spiritual, political, sexual, whatever, is all nothing but a distraction to the principle aim of yoga.

The Satanic Bible is all a giant lie. It is designed to sound like common sense advice for the “Me” generation, but in fact the principle philosophical points are all rooted in one patently false statement about Eastern religions after another. They are very subtle and slick lies that fall completely apart if you actually study Eastern religions.

It is no mistake, it is far too consistent and systematic. LeVay knew very well what the truth is about Eastern religions and he intentionally engineered a used car salesman ploy of half truths and lies about Eastern religions in order to make Satanism sound reasonable to an innocent person.