FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Girls? Hello?





holly.rebecca
Why are there so few women on frihost?
soulman
maybe because there are so few female can sit in front of her computer so long time...
rightclickscott
*Coughs afew times, uses a high pitched voice.* I'm a girl!
a.Bird
rightclickscott wrote:
*Coughs afew times, uses a high pitched voice.* I'm a girl!
Are we getting desperate these days scott? Very Happy
Aless
because web-hosting is a masculine-dominated industry.

And because most of the topics are either tech-related or commenting about Paris Hilton's hotness.

Razz
chilllayd
Here's a lady Cool
DecayClan
Well, for the very same reason, that there are not many women playing computer games...And creating a web site, requires many hours in front of a computer, and most of the women, just "can't" do it.

P.S. i hope that the last sentence didn't sound bad, all i meant, was that most of them, will not use their computer for enough time, in order to acquire the required knowledge/experience, and then spent more time, in order to create and maintain a web site.

P.S.2.The good news, is, that(if a am not mistaken) the noumber of women at frihost is increasing! Very Happy
Billwaa
I think girls teens will spend more time dating a guy then dating a computer. Well, that's what all my friends and family call me, dating a computer and will have a computer wife, lol.

Well, you know, when we are younger, guy like to play computer game, especiallly online FPS. Girls like to play with dolls.
chilllayd
I like to play with guys, Wink
and also computers (games and webdesign) Cool
Quiviro
Usually, we men like computers, internet, videogames more than girls.

chilllayd wrote:
I like to play with guys, Wink
Is this a proposition? Razz
chilllayd
haha Razz

I Only like guys when they like girls more than there computer ! Wink
mjohnson
soulman wrote:
maybe because there are so few female can sit in front of her computer so long time...

I agree and your answer is humorous Smile
Billwaa
chilllayd wrote:
haha Razz

I Only like guys when they like girls more than there computer ! Wink


I only like girls when they like me more than anything else. That never happen, lol.
Quiviro
chilllayd wrote:
I Only like guys when they like girls more than there computer ! Wink
Well, I should rewrite my sentence:
Quote:
Usually, we men like computers, internet, videogames more than girls...
...more than girls like computers, internet and videogames.
myrevolt
This is why: OMG Girlz Don’t Exist on teh Intarweb!!!!1

I'm joking though
freecitizen
Girl here. =]
datter
This is silly. Everyone knows that there are no girls on the internet.
chilllayd
And that's a good joke :p
ocalhoun
It's just that women are rare here, as in all technology-related fields.
In my college classes, it's interesting to note the demographics:
Accounting: About equal men and women.
Technical Writing: A few more women than men.
Introduction to Microsoft server 2003: 90% men.
Teddy1
Ok there's a thing girls do like to use the computer for MSN and stuff like that, but for web design the majority of the female population will be outstandingly low, unlike the male population which are into tech/gagdet sorta things so they tend to use them more.
Star Wars Fanatic
ocalhoun wrote:
It's just that women are rare here, as in all technology-related fields.
In my college classes, it's interesting to note the demographics:
Accounting: About equal men and women.
Technical Writing: A few more women than men.
Introduction to Microsoft server 2003: 90% men.


Yea, in my programming class this semester, there is only two girls, and one dropped out already, that is out of around twenty other guys.

Girls don't like to make stuff technology wise, they just like the fact that their Myspace works, they don't want to know how it works.
Kaisonic
We all know that owning a website isn't for women. It falls into the category of hardware, and mowing the lawn. It's for guys, while cooking and cleaning and stuff is for the women. Really, the only reason for women to go online is to post pictures of themselves.

DISCLAIMER: This does not reflect the views of me, it is actually just an obvious attempt to get points.
vinx_18
It is because almost all women does not like posting in forums ,they rather like interpersonal conversations... Rolling Eyes
seanooi
most of the girls that I know rarely know anything about computers, what more about web hosting Laughing
Bondings
vinx_18 wrote:
It is because almost all women does not like posting in forums ,they rather like interpersonal conversations... Rolling Eyes

That's not really the case, it's rather the technical/webhosting aspect here. There are a lot of forums on the internet with a big majority of women and not necessarily about 'female' topics.
Lessien
ehum
i'm a girl too and i'm here, aren't i?
as for girls not being into technology and only playing with dolls. i rarely played with them, instead i played with the toy cars that once belonged to my dad. my fav dress-up for some costume party while i was a kid was a knight. i love technology and learning how it all works. those technology based subjects in school were my fav. btw, i sucked in cooking class, i just can't cook.
or maybe i'm just being the exeption confirming the rule.
Very Happy
monzoncf
maybe its just boys and girls have different set of knowledge... Girls are more in computations though...
wimvpetegem
mmm, it is suprising for me to see that there are still girls here...
At msn it most of the time the opposite of the web, at the web more guys, and at msn more girls.
We have to combinate them:P
Aless
But it's funny, because some of the websites/message boards I visit are definitely female-dominated. Some of them are obvious because of the subject matter, but one is totally gender-neutral in its topic, but still has a huge majority of women. They say computers & tech are male-dominated, so maybe we girls just find a place we like & stick together!
Lessien
i used to have a forum website bout fantasy based rpg and related topics and most of my members were girls. the site is now down btw.
which leads me to another odd thing. when you talk bout fantasy film like lotr and visit some fansites or other fantasy related topics, most members are girls. but when it comes to fantasy rp games like d&d, magic the gathering and such most of the people playing it are guys. i'm in a d&d group and i'm the only girl. when i go to a magic the gathering tournament there are like 4 girls against over the 50 guys. though somehow people always relate fantasy to girls.
freecitizen
I think that's changing now, though. A lot more girls are into design... Actually, I know more girls into designing websites than I do boys - and the girls I knew were far better. But not generalizing.

Even though I seem a bit girly on the surface, I'm a techie at heart, so not all girls are what they seem like... or guys.
Slick
i would love a technical g/f for a change rather then the majority being more interested in getting the latest hair products rather then breathing!

just think to relax n actually have a stimulating and informative conversation!

rather then the ins n outs of other peoples lives - i herd this n i herd that!
Josso
Not sure why, girls aren't usually interested in this kind of thing Sad
rightclickscott
I'm pretty sure the person who runs the greatest contest in Frihost history, the one I created, is a girl.
Obake
O.o;;

Er, guys? Every girl I know is in some way into web design, gaming, etc*. Here's a thing, though: they often don't advertise their presence as girls.

Some of them feel it just shouldn't be necessary--it's the Internet; your gender shouldn't matter. Most of them, in most circumstances, really don't care about the anatomy of the person on the other end of the connection. Some have had other people change their opinion of them based only on the discovery that they're female. Most of them don't really appreciate being hit on--by people they're never likely to meet--as soon as they know they're female. That happens way too often.

Whereas, staying gender-neutral, they're more likely to be treated just as, y'know, actual people.

I suspect there are rather more girls on the Internet/into web design/on Frihost/into gaming than you realise, even if they are not equal/a majority.

On another note, Lessien made an interesting point about the difference between how fantasy is perceived/related to gender and the actual gender differentiation among fantasy RPGers. Perhaps it's the romanticism associated with fantasy that lends it that female association? The idea of (literal) knights in shining armour dashing around saving princesses. That and stuff like the unicorns. Anything with unicorns in has to be kind of girly, right?

Which is difficult to reconcile with the violence/strategy/competition--all male-associated concepts--involved in games like D&D and Magic: The Gathering. Perhaps that's why there's such a rift between the way people think of fantasy and the type of people who actually play those games.

Which is unfair to both sides, really. Girls may not get into the gaming stuff as much because, somehow, to get involved with all that male-oriented stuff--maybe even like it--makes them less of a girl. Guys can and do get into the fiction/films, but they're less able to get into the fandom/fansite side of things because such a large part of that is about the romance of fantasy--and a guy who indulges too much in that just isn't man enough, apparently.

I don't know. We draw these nice little lines and build boxes to make things neat, and somehow the world seems to wind up a bigger mess because of it.

*I do, of course, have the pleasure of living in a widespread network of geeks. Almost everyone I know is into web design and gaming and so on.
Vrythramax
rightclickscott wrote:
*Coughs afew times, uses a high pitched voice.* I'm a girl!


yeah right bro....so am I.
rightclickscott
Vrythramax wrote:
rightclickscott wrote:
*Coughs afew times, uses a high pitched voice.* I'm a girl!


yeah right bro....so am I.


Er, really? I mean, uh, dude, that's one hell of a bombshell.
holly.rebecca
I can't believe the replies that have been posted to my question, why are there so few women on frihost.

Do all of you men out there who posted such blatantly sexist and offensive comments really believe that women "can't sit in front of their computers for very long" and that the only thing women can do on computers is "post pictures of themselves" ???!!!

Honestly I don't think computers are very interesting, but I wanted to have a website because I have interesting things to share with other people.

Okay granted, we are less likely to be raging, socially-maladapted computer geeks than our male counterparts, but....as far as intelligence and talent go, WOMEN ARE EVERY BIT AS SMART AND CAPABLE AS MEN.

Those of you who do not think so....well, I don't even have anything I can really say to you. It's just SAD that you are so misinformed, so sexist, so behind the times.
holly.rebecca
mjohnson wrote:
soulman wrote:
maybe because there are so few female can sit in front of her computer so long time...

I agree and your answer is humorous Smile




I disagree....and you are both a**holes.
Vonn
Women know how to work the internet? :O
lolj/k. I<3 the ladies.
holly.rebecca
Slick wrote:
i would love a technical g/f for a change rather then the majority being more interested in getting the latest hair products rather then breathing!

just think to relax n actually have a stimulating and informative conversation!

rather then the ins n outs of other peoples lives - i herd this n i herd that!



That's your problem, dude....sounds like you just can't get an intelligent woman to be interested in you!
rightclickscott
holly.rebecca wrote:
I can't believe the replies that have been posted to my question, why are there so few women on frihost.

Do all of you men out there who posted such blatantly sexist and offensive comments really believe that women "can't sit in front of their computers for very long" and that the only thing women can do on computers is "post pictures of themselves" ???!!!

Honestly I don't think computers are very interesting, but I wanted to have a website because I have interesting things to share with other people.

Okay granted, we are less likely to be raging, socially-maladapted computer geeks than our male counterparts, but....as far as intelligence and talent go, WOMEN ARE EVERY BIT AS SMART AND CAPABLE AS MEN.

Those of you who do not think so....well, I don't even have anything I can really say to you. It's just SAD that you are so misinformed, so sexist, so behind the times.


It's funny, because me and Max were the only ones to joke about Gender Bending, and, mind you, I am the only one here with the literal power to Gender Bend. Only because I am the Pillow of Doom. While people make sexist comments, I believe that men and women both have the capacity to use a computer and the internet. However, you really don't find as many women looking for free web hosting, and, yes, I have seen alot more girls on myspace, posting pictures of themselves on their profiles. But, mind you, there are just as many guys doing the same thing. I actually do believe that guys are on the internet more than girls. Am I sexist? Of course not. But the people who say that women are too stupid to use the internet are. The people who make stupid jokes like they should be in the kitchen or doing the laundry, and not on the computer are all idiots, even if they are joking. So, please, before you say anything sexually derogatory, think of what you're posting, then think about how it reflects upon yourself, and just don't say anything stupid, even if you do put a goddamn "JK!" at the end.
Vrythramax
@ holly.rebecca....

I cerainlt meant no offense in anything I wrote. If offended you in anyway I sincerely apologize. Embarassed
HoboPelican
holly.rebecca wrote:
.....
Okay granted, we are less likely to be raging, socially-maladapted computer geeks than our male counterparts, but....as far as intelligence and talent go, WOMEN ARE EVERY BIT AS SMART AND CAPABLE AS MEN.


LOL. Maybe you answered your own question with the first part of that statement. I also was pretty amazed at some of the stuff said here by guys, and I was telling myself that, "oh well, they're young. They'll figure it out as they mature". Then it occured to me that, in this day, those attitudes should never even be ingrained to start with. A little disheartening.
a.Bird
HoboPelican wrote:
LOL. Maybe you answered your own question with the first part of that statement. I also was pretty amazed at some of the stuff said here by guys, and I was telling myself that, "oh well, they're young. They'll figure it out as they mature". Then it occured to me that, in this day, those attitudes should never even be ingrained to start with. A little disheartening.
Yeah well, what are you going to do? It could be the media, digital entertainment, past wars, parents, a lack of knowledge... it could be a mixture of these things and more. I'd like to hope that most of the men here were at least half joking in their responses, touching on gender stereotypes as a satire. Unfortunately, a lot of ideas and culture are going to sh*t in this country and I'm not sure where we would start to begin turning it around. Maybe not everyone is destined to contribute to a greater understanding of society and the infinite. Maybe we need these people?

No, I doubt that. Okay 2:30pm is way too early for me. Smile
Vlien
Another girl over here! Cool

I've been building web pages since I was twelve, started out using Yahoo PageBuilder, lol. Now I'm an amateurist Notepad user, I program a little - HTML, a bit of CSS and all, but not too good at it. Take a look at my page, it consists of frames because I don't know how to use PHP and I don't have the patience to teach myself how to write those horribly complicated scripts. I'm more of a writer who needs a quick way to display her writings, hehe. And once in a while I can be so fascinated about the programming that I start a course, but then stop going through it because it's way to mathematical for me Embarassed in that sense, I'm still a stereotype girl! ... then... there's too much in life to learn and do for me like playing the piano, asks for a lot of patience as well, that, well, I never really get to the real programming stuff... Smile
meet in rio
I'm a reasonably girly girl and I do the website thing.

I like to shop and eat sweeties! I like chick flicks! I dress in all colours of the rainbow!

I'm not the biggest female cliché you'll ever meet, but I'm not a tomboy.

To be honest, though, I'm not overly geeky about the internet. I've discovered enough PHP to make my life easier, and won't bother learning anything more until it's necessary; I'm more interested in the general design than elegant coding. Having said this, building websites is more than a means to an end for me: in fact, most of the sites I create are completely useless.

About the design thing, though... I would have thought that was something to appeal more to women, but then I got talking to a male friend who was surprised that I liked to fiddle around with Photoshop.

I honestly believe, though, that men are frequently (but by no means always) better suited to logical and scientific thought and women to more intuitive and artistic ways of working, and that men are often (but by no means always) more driven and single-minded (if even to the detriment of their life as a whole!).
Ray Gravin
I've been supprised by most of my female friends knowledge in relation to computers. Most of them know the basics of C++ and html atleast. I think they just tend not to be as interested in talking about it. Men have a natural tendency to show of our tools as well as our ability to use them. Its really just a matter of priority I guess.
blackpowder
(a) girls often don't identify themselves as girls online, just because they often get harassed like crazy. I know lots of girls who either don't make it obvious or just pretend they're guys, just because they don't want to deal with guys saying the stupid stuff guys generally say. Girls often hate it in bars etc. too, but at least there's the chance a guy's personality/looks might still have a chance in that realm---online, the chance is usually pretty slim.

(b) In response to the last post, I've read studies that say that women are often less good at visuo-spatial reasoning and science, etc., because it is a result of the way they are taught differently throughout life and school. Girls are assumed not to be able to tackle it as well, and so they are taught differently than guys in many cases, and are not encouraged to participate in the same activities or learning opportunities as guys, so they learn differently and have different learning experiences. There is little proof to show that their brains cannot handle the same stuff if they are taught the same things as guys. People often don't even realize they teach girls and guys differently.
Lessien
true
it's indeed the idea of the older generation that girls and boys shouldn't be learning the same things. one of my teachers was like that, saying surely as a girl you will never learn that trade. that's a man's job. saying that us being able to get pregnant would get in the way of doing that job. sounds a rather stupid reason to me.
but on the other hand, the courses i followed had both cooking class (was a nightmare for the teacher giving that class) and creating a computer program and making a lamp (making the frame, preparing wires and all). we actually had a lot of technical classes. also some more homely ones but not much. but now atleast i know enough bout electricity to handle things myself and such. funny thing was that in a class of 23, there were only 3 boys.[/quote]
Rico
Men and women are wired very differently. Men love things and like to use people. Women love people and like to use things. Women like words such as “I love you”. Men think talk is cheap and will show his love with an act of service (mowing the lawn). Women are into relationships, men are into conquests. Men are into gadgets, women are into the grease that makes a family function effectively. Men are hunters, women are gatherers. Like I said we’re wired differently, I think the case with the women on this particular forum is that maybe they’re wired a little more like men than like women.
Vrythramax
Rico wrote:
Men and women are wired very differently. Men love things and like to use people. Women love people and like to use things. Women like words such as “I love you”. Men think talk is cheap and will show his love with an act of service (mowing the lawn). Women are into relationships, men are into conquests. Men are into gadgets, women are into the grease that makes a family function effectively. Men are hunters, women are gatherers. Like I said we’re wired differently, I think the case with the women on this particular forum is that maybe they’re wired a little more like men than like women.


Now that's just unfair and sexist as far as I can see. Yes, men and women are differant (durrr), but to class one or the other as "the hunter" and the "gatherer", is just sexist bull.

I'm a man who likes women, I would much prefer to think of them as "Partner" and accpt all responsibilities eqauly, than to try to classify each other into a specific group. Men and Women have been sharing the duties of life since before there was the written word to describe anything, let alone the "sex classes". Maybe you should read a little deeper into history my friend, there was a time when Woman was held supreme.

If you want an further explaination ask me in the Philosophy and Religion Forum.
Shiva
chilllayd wrote:
haha Razz

I Only like guys when they like girls more than there computer ! Wink


like.. The wrong place to post that!?? Cool
Vrythramax
datter wrote:
This is silly. Everyone knows that there are no girls on the internet.


Try thinking with another part of your anatomy.

@Shiva

I would trash it, but kinda adds another view onto the subject. Please be patient. (Did I just say that out loud?)
Dredge
It's more or less, they just aren't interested in building a website.
Dragon2Storm
Ever think its because theres just no intrest in frihost for girls. Rolling Eyes or it could be us guys scare them away. Twisted Evil
Slick
holly.rebecca wrote:
Slick wrote:
i would love a technical g/f for a change rather then the majority being more interested in getting the latest hair products rather then breathing!

just think to relax n actually have a stimulating and informative conversation!

rather then the ins n outs of other peoples lives - i herd this n i herd that!



That's your problem, dude....sounds like you just can't get an intelligent woman to be interested in you!


i dnt have a problem... its just the majority if women i encounter tend to be air heads... and those with a glimer of intelligence have an attitude and think there above everyone!

of course there is always excepts its just from my experience i havent come accross any yet!

suppos im in a no win situation! when on intelligent mode im a recluse, stuck at the pc doin this n that but then when out dj-ing etc all the women are makeup adverts or high on there own supply!
Dragon2Storm
some girls fain stipidity so you need to get to know them to see that they are realy smart.. I learned this form exp... just a hint ... Razz
Slick
people are constantly complaining about sexist views etc... but my comments are from personal experience! therefore are in no way sexist as they are true from personal experience!

some of the best designers and programmers are women, but at the same time i haven't spoken to or seen then so are irrelevent from my experiences!

as far as im concerned there have been a few jokes made but if you are indeed more intelligent you should rise above it not become foul mouthed and abusive!
Slick
Dragon2Storm wrote:
some girls fain stipidity so you need to get to know them to see that they are realy smart.. I learned this form exp... just a hint ... Razz


i have noticed this a few times but by the time i realise it ive already lost interest!

i don't like people to beat around the bush, so would prefer a woman or anyone in that matter to be themselves, not put on an act!
Dragon2Storm
beleave it or not alot of men are afraid of a woman smarter than them.
Slick
oh i believe it... its the same for the women in a higher position at work, men develop an attitude towards them which i thinks pathetic!

i dnt care if my managers male or female... as longas the jobs done... i'll complain exactly the same way to either if its not! Laughing
Dragon2Storm
im the same as long as they get the job done and done right then im fine.
Slick
im just humoured by the fact i actually sed i wanted an intelligent g/f etc n was attacked sayin im the one with the problem!

talk about being judged hey... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Dragon2Storm
well whoever attacked you has no respect for others opinions. i hate to say it but i cant stand stupidity so i always state i look for inteligence over looks any day.
Slick
like i say in my defence i do spend alot of time on the pc but this is my choice, i dnt like goin to pubs etc to socalise i'd rather have friends round.. no idiots to spoil the fun then!

and then when dj-ing i get nothing but drugies and binge drinkers, suppose the intelligent ones are at the back enjoying the music.... think i mite take binoculars to the next event i dj at haha! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Dragon2Storm
i hate to say it but people are dumb to drink and be on drugs. Sad you could always try making a few friends and trying to meet there friends.. creating a net work of intelegent people always helps you meet new ones.
Dragon2Storm
i think we are going to get this to page 4 lol...
Slick
turned into dating tips! haha people are gonna rip us so bad haha!

its true wat you have sed... i do need to "network" more... its just i have very limited time and seem to be tired alot, never a gd advert for getting a g/f hey Laughing

but i see your point, its something i do have to work on. I do have great chats and banters with many women it just there usualy accross the water etc

just want some face to face conversation rather then msn Laughing Laughing Laughing
Dragon2Storm
lol i get your point but if you know some one and have met face to face msg them alot and when you have chances do things with these people you know that way you always stay in touch. lol well when you put girls in a subject your bound to get dateing advice.. you just happend to get some one who knows what there talking about.
Slick
lol theres one girl i message and get on very well with (via msn) lol but am meeting her on the 25th, its one of my internet radio stations birthday bashes n were goin up north and she'll be there!

hopefully all goes well and im not too shy haha

bless me! Laughing
Dragon2Storm
one thing ive learned is that its ok to be shy. but dont let it ruin your chance think about it youve talked to her already so what do you have to be shy about any more.
Slick
wise words my friend but im sure u know thats still easier sed then done haha!

ive warned her anyways n she said she'll sort me out....

that could be a good or bad thing Confused

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Dragon2Storm
lol ive always been shy but i found out its easyer to be forth going than to hide also you become less shy if you actualy get the initial hellos done.
Slick
thats exactly wat she sed, and as it'll be a packed house party type event it'll be hard to hide away and not talk!

for the first time ever on the 11th of this month i went to a rave and was fully sober i never do drugs yet i was still up and goin at 6am!

so i think my self confidence is seriously improving! Cool
Dragon2Storm
well you can always drift in a croud and never be seen by her.. ive done it to keep away from some ppl ...
a.Bird
Pff, get a room you two.
Dragon2Storm
we did lol its here. we are keeping to the topic so whats your problem?
Slick
haha dragon thats hilerous haha! but bad... im more upfront then that, i do tend to tell peeps to stay out of my way rather then put myself out staying out of peeps way!

@a.bird - we've got this topic y do we need a room? Laughing
Dragon2Storm
well im more of a peace keeper i dont like to fight but i will finish one if i have to. also being shy in first meetings is rugh but hay think about it if youve talked to her before then you know she is interested so what is there to be shy about anymore?
Slick
i never fight lol well start it lol! i just say whats on my mind people then know where they stand!
Dragon2Storm
here here .. also seems my post was deleated odd it folowed all the rules .
Slick
which post was that
Dragon2Storm
the one on overwelming this area i even had a poll. all i wanted to know is if i posted to much lol.
Slick
lmao so what u gonna take that as? a yes or a no? haha! Laughing
Dragon2Storm
im going to take it as a mabey muhhahahah im going to get even for it tho.
Vrythramax
This topic started out being a very good thing, but some users have taken to a personal insult level against women.

I won't mention names, but I am keeping a very close eye on some people who have posted here recently.

To the Author of the topic....I am closing this particular topic because it has become a target for, and please forgive my crasness, people who only think with thier penis. Please feel free to create a new topic along the same lines.

Not everyone thinks with thier dicks. (Grow up guys...theres more women than men in the world)

-locked-
Related topics
Picasa2, hello i blogspot
Girl, Please Fall in Love with Me
Hello
Hello !!!
Hello
Hello there
Hello all / Salut tuturor
Hello!!!
Muchos links de manga!
hello (...another stupid user :p)
Hello
hello everyone !
Hello...
Hello Boys & Girls
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.