FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

subdomain and ftp

althalus
I created a subdomain and it tells me this:

"Note: If you wish to grant virtual ftp access to this subdomain, just create an FTP user with the same username as the subdomain base name that is listed inside the () above."

However, when I create the ftp user it adds as a /folder instead of a sub.ogremound... Am I doing it wrong or is this maybe not allowed?

Please note, I'm not trying to host more people on my site, but I wanted to place my WoW-guild's page under my control but still separate it from my site a bit. I will put it in a folder if I have to.

Thanks Smile
Bondings
I'm sorry, but I don't completely understand your problem, can you maybe explain a bit more what happened and what you want to do? (it might also be do because it's quite late for me at the moment Wink )
althalus
Sorry if I'm unclear Wink

I created the subdomain oo.ogremound.com (which shows up under subdomains in cpanel, but doesn't work when i go to that url) and I wanted to create a FTP-user for that subdomain.

I go to FTP manager. then FTP accounts, then [add FTP account]. When I add the user "oo" it adds a subfolder as ogremound.com/oo instead of as a subdomain.

It reads: "If you just want the new user to be able to access a sub-domain, just set the directory box to the same value as the sub-domain's root name, which is listed in parenthesis on the sub-domain section of this control panel."

I tried that, but, just the folder.. Not the subdomain.. I'm not sure I really understand this whole FTP-user deal, so I'm afraid that's as descriptive I can get Confused
Bondings
althalus wrote:
Sorry if I'm unclear Wink

I created the subdomain oo.ogremound.com (which shows up under subdomains in cpanel, but doesn't work when i go to that url) and I wanted to create a FTP-user for that subdomain.

I go to FTP manager. then FTP accounts, then [add FTP account]. When I add the user "oo" it adds a subfolder as ogremound.com/oo instead of as a subdomain.

It reads: "If you just want the new user to be able to access a sub-domain, just set the directory box to the same value as the sub-domain's root name, which is listed in parenthesis on the sub-domain section of this control panel."

I tried that, but, just the folder.. Not the subdomain.. I'm not sure I really understand this whole FTP-user deal, so I'm afraid that's as descriptive I can get Confused

Sorry for the late reply, I almost forgot this discussion.

The oo.ogremound.com subdomain is working for me. A subdomain is added as a new folder. (you should get the same as ogremound.com/oo/) But the difference is that you can access it as a subdomain and have email settings.

And the ftp-settings; I never tried that myself, but normally you should make an ftp-user with username "oo". And then access ftp with username oo@ogremound.com.

If it still doesn't work, please notify me and then I'll try to do it for you. Very Happy
althalus
Yeah, it works for me now too. Guess the DNS took a little longer to resolve than for the domain itself.. I'll try it out more tomorrow, right now it's rather late Wink

Thanks for the help, Bondings, I really appreciate it Smile