FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Every Vista PC to get a domain name





Dronzar21
Quote:
Want to be able to access your machine anytime, anywhere? Can’t be bothered purchasing a domain name and configuring Dynamic DNS? Microsoft has a solution: the "Windows Internet Computer Name" -- a unique domain name for your computer.

http://apcmag.com/node/4332


What I think is Enabling Remote Desktop for Vista is extremely dangerous!! Rather than spending 10,000 or more Rs on Vista, you can get a domain name for yourself at a very cheap price!! Not only you, but the hackers as well can access your PC very conveniently!! Cheap marketing gimmick from M$!! Don't blame M$ if your confidential info is leaked to the hackers. You are yourself to blame!!
Hogwarts
Wouldn't port 80 have to be forwarded to the computer for that to make your computer hackable, though?
{name here}
Dronzar21 wrote:
Quote:
Want to be able to access your machine anytime, anywhere? Can’t be bothered purchasing a domain name and configuring Dynamic DNS? Microsoft has a solution: the "Windows Internet Computer Name" -- a unique domain name for your computer.

http://apcmag.com/node/4332


What I think is Enabling Remote Desktop for Vista is extremely dangerous!! Rather than spending 10,000 or more Rs on Vista, you can get a domain name for yourself at a very cheap price!! Not only you, but the hackers as well can access your PC very conveniently!! Cheap marketing gimmick from M$!! Don't blame M$ if your confidential info is leaked to the hackers. You are yourself to blame!!

Well, if you're stupid enough to run root, use a password that's easily predictable, and allow remote logins, you will get cracked by some Black Hat. If you don't, you should be quite safe unless somebody on your side screws something up.
Xeniczone
Quote:
Cheap marketing gimmick from M$!! Don't blame M$ if your confidential info is leaked to the hackers. You are yourself to blame!!


It's always microsofts fault.

Why do we blame ourselfs for MS making a crappy OS on a crappy Kernal.

You really don't understand the history of microsoft if you think they have nothing to do with how screwed up they are. They even had to bribe Apple into signing a contract that let them use features from Mac OS. They treatened if Apple didn't stop sueing (because apple was winning) they would stop making Office for mac. That right there is utter BS from Microsoft and they still do it today.

Microsoft has screwed the security of everybody. I beat if you look at all the victims of Identity theft over the internet, the victim was more then likly using Microsoft OS. because of all the sucurity flaws inside of the OS. They have website for Windows OS that can read the the systems specs and system info just though the website now if you ask me that doesn't sound so safe with all the data the website could pull from the computer without installing anything.
ocalhoun
Xeniczone wrote:
I beat if you look at all the victims of Identity theft over the internet, the victim was more then likly using Microsoft OS.

I agree with your point, but if you look at all of anybody on the internet they will more than likely be using windows.

*edited to correct typo*
FaLLeN
I shouldnt have to worry bout that, im not even going to buy vista till it is impossible to play new games without it.
I couldnt care about DX10 with it cause it will just make me spend more for a new GFX anyway.

But with that said, it is a good idea to have that, but like above posters' said, it will have so many security flaws it will just not be worth it to use.
jarrod
What's the big deal with Vista anyway

if you have a stable OS system, why would you want to compromise that
with some new product like vista.
from what i have heard and screen shots i have seen vista is not much chop
All bill whats to make more money for nothing
ocalhoun
jarrod wrote:

All bill whats to make more money for nothing

A worthy goal...
cheeta
another process which will make thousand of people cry when they find every thing is gone lol....

what a joke... Common people cant even save a computer with Windows Firewall on... and MS expect them to save Vista from putting it on a domain lol...
{name here}
cheeta wrote:
another process which will make thousand of people cry when they find every thing is gone lol....

what a joke... Common people cant even save a computer with Windows Firewall on... and MS expect them to save Vista from putting it on a domain lol...

You're right. The common man is too incompetent to even understand what a domain name is. If anything this is going to go right down the toilet because all they care about is MS Word and a means to store family photos.
Cole
If this is turned off by default... ok not horrible.
If this is turned on by default.
Microsoft better have one hell of a secruity system in Vista. I believe Vista is much more secure but...this secure? idk...
or
Microsoft is creating jobs!! Thank them!
Nyizsa
I have read the article, and I didn't really understand the point. So if someone doesn't want to buy an easy-to-remember domain name for ~4$ (or register one second-level domain name for free!), he/she can publish his/her computer to the world using a 128-bit hash. (I don't even think that someone who uses Window$ will go for the insecure option.) So why it is better than trying to remember a traditional IPv4 address? I usually access my computer using my IP from my cell phone when I test my w@p pages. It's no problem at all.
WickedGravity
I am as pro open source as the next guy, but why is it always Bill's fault nowadays? He has stepped back from the primary running of the company as a whole, certain decisions that make you and I possibly mad are not even handled by him.

Is it Bill that writes the code for the backdoors and the security holes?

Is it Bill that runs the puter as root and uses sysop as the password wih remote enabled?

No My dear friends, Bill may be bad, but the end user is what causes most of the problems. Years in Tech-Support have taught me that much.
Cole
Quote:
No My dear friends, Bill may be bad,

Bad old bill!
Lets all yell at him for stepping down at Microsoft in order to concentrate more on his foundation to help people who are sick and etc..

Bill donates quite a bit, and he is far from being a bad guy.

Quote:
but the end user is what causes most of the problems.

Or poor programming on a developers part. For example a program crashes!! Omgz windows fault when it's simply piss poor programming on the Developers side.
mOrpheuS
Computers have long been uniquely identifiable on the internet, and remote administration has long been available.
I see many people have no clue as to what "Windows Internet Computer Name" is or entails, but they all seem quite sure that it must be something evil, since it's Microsoft.


It's fashionable to bash evil "M$" and greedy Bill and claim that every cyber crime is always their fault - with or without any knowledge of the reason they are being bashed.

Or ...


you can just choose not to enable this evil new feature on your computer.


Defeat all the Microsoft evil with a simple checkbox. (I wonder why Microsoft even have those)
flameboy1974
I am far from being a microsoft fan. But lets face it most of the people and businesses in the world run it. I just wanted to make two points.


1) If I am a bad guy on the net and I going to attack Linux? No I am going to attack windows because 99.9% of the people using it don't know how to protect themselves. I have seen people who did not know you could scroll down to see the rest of a web page! Now I'm not saying that other systems are not attacked, but windows has been the mainstream for a long time and if I'm a bad giy I want to inflict maximun damage.

2) Windows is not bad if you take care of it and protect yourself. Every windows since 95 has been an upgrade from the one before. Fix 95 and it becomes 98. Fix 98 and it become ME. Fix NT and it become 2000. Combine 2000 and ME and you have XP. Microsoft has not created a new operating system in almost 12 years! Of course there is going to be flaws, all systems have flaws and no system is perfect. It's just that bad guys have had almost 12 years to learn every aspect of windows. Every time a flaw is patched they have another route already planned out.

Don't get me wrong I am no fan of the big "m", but it does run everything I want to run, and everything is written for it. I have not had too many problems since going to XP. Vista is supposed to be a completly new operating syatem....we will see.
ammonkc
flameboy1974 wrote:
I am far from being a microsoft fan. But lets face it most of the people and businesses in the world run it. I just wanted to make two points.


1) If I am a bad guy on the net and I going to attack Linux? No I am going to attack windows because 99.9% of the people using it don't know how to protect themselves. I have seen people who did not know you could scroll down to see the rest of a web page! Now I'm not saying that other systems are not attacked, but windows has been the mainstream for a long time and if I'm a bad giy I want to inflict maximun damage.

2) Windows is not bad if you take care of it and protect yourself. Every windows since 95 has been an upgrade from the one before. Fix 95 and it becomes 98. Fix 98 and it become ME. Fix NT and it become 2000. Combine 2000 and ME and you have XP. Microsoft has not created a new operating system in almost 12 years! Of course there is going to be flaws, all systems have flaws and no system is perfect. It's just that bad guys have had almost 12 years to learn every aspect of windows. Every time a flaw is patched they have another route already planned out.

Don't get me wrong I am no fan of the big "m", but it does run everything I want to run, and everything is written for it. I have not had too many problems since going to XP. Vista is supposed to be a completly new operating syatem....we will see.


I agree with both of your points. But I don't know how much I believe microsoft's claim that Vista is a completely new Operating system. They are saying that they wrote it all from scratch from the kernel up or something like that. I don't think microsoft could EVER make a completely new os. They are cripple by their own market share dominance. They have to ensure reverse compatability with legacy software. This means that they are locked into things like their registry system. and things that are probably more than outdated. M$ could never get away with something like Apple's switch to intel. They are to big to risk incompatabilities.
flameboy1974
I agree, but after checking out the support cancelations I think it may be. The end of this year XP service pack one is no longer supported along with ME. 98 and 95 are no longer supported, and XP service pack two is scheduled for no support with in two years (possibly by end of 2007). So if it's not completly new they sure want to push us into buying it.
ammonkc
Wow, I thought that they only cancelled support for 98. maybe they do have a long term roadmap for transitioning away from their old over patched frameworks. We'll have to wait and see how vista does.
mogchr
I find that style of computing to be a danger to the user from outside attackers. I am currently programming a BSD based operating system, and I suggested that idea to one of my designers, and he said that is a great vulnerability to the user. I don't know anymore with the big old Microsoft; they are just not the same as they were in the early 90's.

I'm not sure how much this will work to attract customers, because this could easily be implemented on a PC just using Apache or other web server programs.
lukeropro
jarrod wrote:
What's the big deal with Vista anyway

if you have a stable OS system, why would you want to compromise that
with some new product like vista.
from what i have heard and screen shots i have seen vista is not much chop
All bill whats to make more money for nothing


Yeah I agree with you. Vista is a total waste of hard drive space and RAM. So what if it's got cool effects? Mac has them too but I don't see them taking up 4GB of hard drive space.
Kd527
I think that if you have the right firewalls and protection, setting up this domain name isn't that bad. It's just like you have your own server. Only you know the password to get in. If the hacker breaks the password, then you have to worry.
Nyizsa
Kd527 wrote:
I think that if you have the right firewalls and protection, setting up this domain name isn't that bad. It's just like you have your own server...

...as we could set up our own servers since years. So nothing new, again.

And yes, a domain name is a good thing to have.
Wikipedia wrote:
Domain names are hostnames that provide more memorable names to stand in for numeric IP addresses.

I don't really understand how a 128-bit hash will be "more memorable" than anything else including numeric IP addresses.

So, what's the big deal?
lukeropro
Microsoft just opened another door for hackers to enter.
Xeniczone
They really need to dump there old kernal and try somethink like apple did by dumping the Windows Kernal and using a Unix Kernal. Though this would be a hit for M$. The "great" M$ has to dump old kernal in favor of Unix how would that look on the company.
Related topics
Ok a little help for a semi-beginner
Can I use a .com.ru domain name when requesting free hosing?
Free domain names
Hosting my own domain name on Frihost
domain name help
JJstorm has registered (and wants his own domain name)
'Where To' For Domain Name Registration?
Does anyone know where I could get a FREE domain name?
change domain name
Free Domain Name (TLD) Providers list
In Quest of a Free Domain Name
Win A Free Domain Name
Blogger Supports Your Own Domain Name
New .ML .GA .CF
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Operating Systems

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.