FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PLAYS?? DO WE TALK ABOUT THESE HERE?

rjaduthie
Does anyone enjoy a good trip to the theatre? Well, if so do we dare speak of it here? Where then?

Anyway, I've seen a good one recently. Also, in production, is another, if you're interested on these sort of things.

If you are at all, post here a reply and I'll start a dialogue.

Deal?
Arseniy
I'm actor. by myself. I'm studying in Lyceum of Arts and now we're playing Gulliver. Last year we played Ali Baba and next year we plan to play Romeo and Julliet or Hamlet or something like Hell by Dante. Will be fun!
evanc88
I just recently went to see Gem of the Ocean, a play by August Wilson. It was AMAZING. I recommend going to see any August Wilson plays if they're in your town, he's a great playwright. I love going to see plays, but I also love reading them. I think it's wonderful how much an author can do with just minimal stage direction and dialogue.
TurtleShell
I go to the theater and I've been trying to more shows lately. Most recently I saw Waiting for Godot, and Port Authority Throw Down (I really enjoyed it! the rest of the audience didnt seem so hot on it, but I was).

Waiting for Godot was not everything I hoped it would be...I think I ruined it for myself, having spent the last several years wishing to see it (that's the best way to get disappointed about anything, you know).

Favorite plays include...Stones in His Pockets and Le Costume. I saw both productions several years ago in London. In fact, Le Costume was the first play I ever saw that had subtitles, which was interesting:)

Other cool experiences I've had with the theater include...well, I saw a play once in which part of the audience actually sat on the stage, and I was one of the people on the stage. That was a little scary. Oh, and I saw this interesting production--called Pnuemonic--if anyone's ever seen it I'd love to hear what you thought.

Also, I really want to see a Harold Pinter and a Tom Stoppard.

I don't have any more shows planned for the time being... I'll be seeing the Nutcracker this December, but that hardly counts:)
ddukki
We're reading Hamlet in class and so far, I'm convinced that Shakespeare is one of the most clever writers of his time. I've read the Tempest and Much Ado About Nothing, and both of them were very good. I don't really like tragedies too much, so Romeo and Juliet weren't my cup of tea, but overall, his works are very good.

Well, coming back to modern plays, I just saw Rumors at my school and it was hilarious. I love watching plays, because it seems so much more personal to the audience. Movies are great and all, but you feel like you can touch the actors / actresses in plays.
TurtleShell
ddukki wrote:
We're reading Hamlet in class and so far, I'm convinced that Shakespeare is one of the most clever writers of his time. I've read the Tempest and Much Ado About Nothing, and both of them were very good. I don't really like tragedies too much, so Romeo and Juliet weren't my cup of tea, but overall, his works are very good.

Well, coming back to modern plays, I just saw Rumors at my school and it was hilarious. I love watching plays, because it seems so much more personal to the audience. Movies are great and all, but you feel like you can touch the actors / actresses in plays.

Hamlet is great--it's definitely my favorite shakespeare. I saw it performed a few years ago, but was really disappointed. The theater was wicked hot, I was sitting in the nosebleeds...it should have been a great time but it ended up a nightmare.

did you ever see the movie or play Rozencrantz and Guildenstern are dead? If you haven't, you should, since you're reading hamlet. I saw the movie at my pathetic new years party last year. It was...a little more intellectually meaty than anything I had intended to watch while drunk but it's worth checking out!
rjaduthie
A bit of a response, not bad! not bad!

Well, the play I saw recently was a biography of Galois' life: the mathematician who at a very young age solved a problem of great importance to the field. He was rebuffed, of course, and turned to revolutionism - and died very young.

I am in current production, myself and a student company, with the script of Copenhagen - this is an account of the meeting in Copenhagen of physicists Neils Bohr and Werner Heisenberg. It's an interesting one as it has minimal cast (the physicists and also Margerete Bohr), though has enomous scope for the imaginations of keen physics students doing theatre.

It is to be peformed a few times next year, possibly with a rotating cast as to keep it interesting.

The fun, I find is the stage settting and direction, & getting the mood how you want it.
TurtleShell
rjaduthie wrote:
A bit of a response, not bad! not bad!

Well, the play I saw recently was a biography of Galois' life: the mathematician who at a very young age solved a problem of great importance to the field. He was rebuffed, of course, and turned to revolutionism - and died very young.

I am in current production, myself and a student company, with the script of Copenhagen - this is an account of the meeting in Copenhagen of physicists Neils Bohr and Werner Heisenberg. It's an interesting one as it has minimal cast (the physicists and also Margerete Bohr), though has enomous scope for the imaginations of keen physics students doing theatre.

It is to be peformed a few times next year, possibly with a rotating cast as to keep it interesting.

The fun, I find is the stage settting and direction, & getting the mood how you want it.

You know what's interesting about that? I'm quite sure that Copenhagen was the play I saw where part of the audience sat on the stage. We were the set, in a way...we sat behind the action, watching them, as if we were judges or jurors.

I saw it in London...in 2001.
marcmgeronimo
I love watching plays... even musical plays. I have seen Miss Saigon when it was staged here in Manila, I've also liked Cats, Les Miserables, The West Side Story and a lot more. I guess the play that I have watched most are different versions of A Midsummer Night's Dream of Shakespeare.
TurtleShell
marcmgeronimo wrote:
I love watching plays... even musical plays. I have seen Miss Saigon when it was staged here in Manila, I've also liked Cats, Les Miserables, The West Side Story and a lot more. I guess the play that I have watched most are different versions of A Midsummer Night's Dream of Shakespeare.

I saw Les Mis in high school. It's the only musical I ever saw that I actually liked. I'm so excited now that it's back--I want to check it out again to see if I still love it.
rjaduthie
I recall my Mum taking me and my best friend to the theatre to see this play: I knew some of the tunes because we had a choir at school, though I remember being bored to the end of my mortal existence, almost, due to not being prepared for the extreme length of the performance. It didn't matter in hindsight, as I still have vivid memories of the stage set and atmosphere. It was all a bit much at age 10-ish.

I'd probably go round for it again sometime in the future.
evanc88
I love the atmosphere of theatres. Not to mention the stage set up, etc. Musicals aren't too shabby either. My school does an OK job of putting on Broadway musicals every year.
calicamper
My favorite has to be The Tempest by Shakespeare. Caliban is hilarious. I would love to see it at the Shakespeare Festival in Ashland, OR. Maybe they'll do it this year... Laughing
evanc88
Shakespeare is wonderful.

Check out Edward Albee if you like playwrights and plays. He's a good one. "The Zoo Story," "The American Dream," and "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" are all worth checking out.
Sphaerenkern
We have to read dramas and watch plays for school, today we watched Nathan the Wise.
The actors were good, the play was interesting, but the old language really annoyed me.
With dramas, it's even worse. I don't like the old language and I think it's damn boring to read just dialogues.
joshumu
Iv read some shakespear, and i love it, but sarte is definitively more my style. I recomend him. No Exit is the most popular it would seam but he has writen many more.
ddukki
I really liked Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. Very interesting to see them do all the dialogue so fast. I never lost interest in the book. Watched the movie and I loved it, by the way. I've never actually been to a true theatre performance, except in the case of Madam Butterfly in the fifth grade. Wasn't too bad, except the subtitle ticker was too high above the stage to pay attention to both the actors and them at the same time. Gotta admit I laughed at the over-dramatic ending back then.
FunDa
We did a play for our inter class competitions - It was called "Seeing Beyond with Maya Fanstasma"

There is this seance lady called Maya Fanatasma, who's a fraud (aren't they all ?)
But then, she sees a spirit of a girl who wants to talk to her brother and so on ...

The play was from freedrama website but it was incomplete - only scene 1 was written.

We had to make up scene 2 ourselves, so we had to think up really nice ending .. In the end our play did not win first prize, but got prizes for the best costumes Smile

Another play called "The Boor" got prizes for best actor and actress - about a money collector who falls in love with a widow from whom he was trying to retrieve debts
Crazy_Canuck
evanc88 wrote:
Shakespeare is wonderful.

Check out Edward Albee if you like playwrights and plays. He's a good one. "The Zoo Story," "The American Dream," and "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" are all worth checking out.

What a great thread. Thank you for starting it, rjaduthie!

Edward Albee is a phenomenal playright, although I have never seen anything of his staged. I did, however, direct a production of The Zoo Story in high school to rave reviews. Very Happy

As for Shakespeare, my all-time fave (which I have seen many times, in different productions) is King Lear. I saw it several years ago at the Stratford Festival here in Canada.

The mark of a successful play, to me, is how quickly I become unconscious of being an audience member, and become immersed in the story of the play.

The next play I would like to see is Margaret Atwood's The Penelopiad, currently running in the UK and coming to Canada later in September. Anyone heard of it?
Patriot Players
I love the theatre and acting. In fact, this frihost account is used to host the website for our highschool theatre group. We did the Music Man, Oz, and You Can't Take It With You this past year. Next year we will be doing A Pirate's Life for Me, 42nd Street, and an as yet unannounced play. Looking forward to it. The friends you make doing theatre are reason enough to do it.
calla225
As far as theater goes I've only seen 42nd Street, Phantom of the Opera, Carmen, and Figaro.
The New York City Opera has Macbeth the opera playing and I want to go see that so badly. Though out of Shakespeare's plays, I liked Hamlet the most.

I'm a big fan of musicals. So opera is a really amazing experience. If you ever get the chance to go, definitely go see one in your lifetime. Carmen was especially great. I'm going to see Don Giovanni in the fall season.

A good play to read is The Crucible by Arthur Miller and Richard III by William Shakespeare.