FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Calculator Gaming

Studio Madcrow
Back in high school, i played lots of games on my TI-83 calculator. Do today's kids still do that or have ubiquitous cell phones with stuff like color screens and fast CPUs killed the market for gaming on calculators?

Also, any reccomendations for new calc games. I use a TI-92 emulator as my primary calculator program in Linux and would love to further increase the illusion by stuffing it full of junk the same way my old calc was.
linkman2004
I'm not sure if calculator gaming is exactly the big thing anymore. As far as I know, stuff like that died out 15 years ago.

But if you want something to play with your emulator, you could always try a TI version of Tetris Attack. They don't have a version for the 92, but they do have the 82 and stuff. You can find it at Tetris Attack.net.
MYP415
Calculator gaming isn't a huge thing but it is still something that students do in class becasue many high schools across the nation have banned cell phoens during class and the board of ed where I live actually has a rule that even if a cell phone is seen it is to be taken. Calculators can't really be taken because students need them for class so games are still being played on them but I don't know if it is as big as it used to be.
Nameless
Heh, I, personally, don't do so, but I know of some people in my high school that sometimes play Tetris on their calculators during maths classes.
Scott
Last year I made a lot of games in the TI Basic language, classes were pretty boring. I'm in college now, I don't have class time to waste making games anymore, plus I have a laptop. However I still make programs to help me in tests. Equation solvers and stuff.
roninmedia
I played things like Drug Wars, Tetris, Pac-man, Bomberman, Tanks, and Arkanoid on my calculator. Wink

Only good for high school. In college, just take your laptop and tap into the university wireless. WoW, anyone? Rolling Eyes
roach831
i used to play with my calculator till i lost it damn that was alot of money
william
Well, I've seen a lot of people playing games on their calculator. I, too, play games on my TI-84. The gaming performance is decent for a calculator. (It has a 15 MHz CPU). I sometimes play games on my TI-89, too, but rarely. I also make games for my calculator using the TI BASIC language. Though game design is fun, I don't really enjoy making games for the TI as much as making games for the PC.
Guyon
WOW what a great post! It brought back a lot of memories. I actually programmed a lot of my own games for my Sharp calclator. In fact I never ran out of memory and had many programs in it at once.

I am afrade that calculator games are not cool enough for the new generation of kids out there. But when I am board I have written a quick little game on my Sharp (that I still have BTW). I am getting into programming my palm more now though. And it is fun to write more dynamic applicaiton for thr Palm. I want to write soem cell phone programs too, but never took the time to start that.

In the end, I think that kids are more interested in playing glitz games, than programming or playing simpe calculator games. Pitty

Thanks again for the great old memories
Star Wars Fanatic
Wow, I am suprised that linexpert hasn't seen this yet, he has a site http://ticalc.info/ that has, or rather will have, downloads for games and stuff, I personally don't use my TI-83 for gaming, just because I don't have a cable for it, and I don't want to buy one Razz
Studio Madcrow
Guyon wrote:
WOW what a great post! It brought back a lot of memories. I actually programmed a lot of my own games for my Sharp calclator. In fact I never ran out of memory and had many programs in it at once.

I am afrade that calculator games are not cool enough for the new generation of kids out there. But when I am board I have written a quick little game on my Sharp (that I still have BTW). I am getting into programming my palm more now though. And it is fun to write more dynamic applicaiton for thr Palm. I want to write soem cell phone programs too, but never took the time to start that.

In the end, I think that kids are more interested in playing glitz games, than programming or playing simpe calculator games. Pitty

Thanks again for the great old memories

I've seen some pretty glitzy games for the 89/92+/v200 line, what with the fact that they have a 12 Mhz 68000 CPU (about the same as a Neo Geo arcade system) and a 240x120 screen (the same width and only a little shorter than a GBA) Sure you only have greyscale graphics, but still... I would imagine the new HP calculators could host some pretty nifty games too, what with their 203 MHz ARM9 CPUs and all (about the same as a DS!!)

TI-68K examples:
Oblivion (a FPS with a Doom-level engine):
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/323/32318.html

F-Zero (an accurate remake of the SNES/GBA classic):
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/381/38175.html

International Karate (An advanced remake of the C64 classic):
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/327/32779.html

Duke 68K (an amazing, gorgeous run n' gun shooter):
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/222/22258.html

Anybody have some favorites still?
linexpert
Students still play calc games because they're much better than cellphones in classes. cellphones get taken away calculators don't.

I'm working on a site http://ticalc.info which will have calc games and programs and such.

I'd love it if you guys register Very Happy
jds10912
being only a sophomore in high school, i can tell you that calc games are still really big, in my school at least
you cant go a whole period without hearing someone say "NEW HIGH SCORE!" , and as soon as someone writes a new program, the whole school has it by the end of the day. teachers, tho, do take away calculators or at least delete all the programs if you get caught playing games too much.
Studio Madcrow
linexpert wrote:
Students still play calc games because they're much better than cellphones in classes. cellphones get taken away calculators don't.

I'm working on a site http://ticalc.info which will have calc games and programs and such.

I'd love it if you guys register Very Happy

I'd love to check it out, but I can't. I get a "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at ticalc.info." error when I try to visit.
defnet
Awwwww, don't you have any other alternatives to Firefox.
You on tux, win or mac?
WE REALLY NEED MORE PEOPLE TO JOIN THE SITE!!!
WE ARE LOOKING FOR STUDENTS WHO USE THEIR TI CALCS ALOT
Hah, I don't even have a TI Calc and Im advertising for that site. Since I dont even have a calc I shouldn't even be registered on ticalc.info but yeah, what the heck!!! Being on that site has taught me some stuff about TI calcs, i just need to buy one to get goin...
arkebuzer
Studio Madcrow wrote:
Back in high school, i played lots of games on my TI-83 calculator. Do today's kids still do that or have ubiquitous cell phones with stuff like color screens and fast CPUs killed the market for gaming on calculators?

Also, any reccomendations for new calc games. I use a TI-92 emulator as my primary calculator program in Linux and would love to further increase the illusion by stuffing it full of junk the same way my old calc was.

Calculators are really horrible for gaming. But if you have a very booring lesson then it can still save your day Twisted Evil
I did a lot of game programming on my texas 82 and 83+ back in school... I started a new project allmost each week, and by the end of the week my class mates downloaded the game Very Happy
It was a little geeky... but a lot more fun than the history lessons.
A phone might be a lot more powerfull, but it΄s really hard to explain to the teacher. If you sit there with a calculator the teacher will just think you are working on some math.
GeorgeG
HEY!
I am a student and i wish i had that calculator
I would change my K750i for that.
The only reason is that you can play games in class Wink