FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Rate my photo skillz.

Studio Madcrow
Well I finally have my photo portfolio online and populated. While I've asked about my site and it's degin elsewhere, this is strictly about the photos on my site... Am I any good at all or should I just give up?

Gallery: http://www.studiomadcrow.frih.net/?q=node/3
S3nd K3ys
Studio Madcrow wrote:
Well I finally have my photo portfolio online and populated. While I've asked about my site and it's degin elsewhere, this is strictly about the photos on my site... Am I any good at all or should I just give up?

Lots of blurry, or bad subject pictures. Check your framing and spelling too. Wink
Peterssidan
Well... the fotos is nothing special. Who wants these fotos. Maby if I know these people but I not. Wink
the "Cailin: The Old Fence" was best for me...

Don't stop if you think it's fun. Smile
cocobirdi
great pics! sure better than the newbs that took my senior portraits Wink maybe i should have hired you instead.

sheer joy is interesting in its dizziness Smile which way is up? lol

in the arbor is pretty as well... but i'm concerned about the things GROWING on the arbor... that looks suspiciously like poison ivy. could be just me Wink otherwise, it's a lovely pic, just wish it was a bit softer. that would compensate for the lighter background that wants to draw my eye. (i think Smile )
Studio Madcrow
cocobirdi wrote:
great pics! sure better than the newbs that took my senior portraits Wink maybe i should have hired you instead.

sheer joy is interesting in its dizziness Smile which way is up? lol

in the arbor is pretty as well... but i'm concerned about the things GROWING on the arbor... that looks suspiciously like poison ivy. could be just me Wink otherwise, it's a lovely pic, just wish it was a bit softer. that would compensate for the lighter background that wants to draw my eye. (i think Smile )

Thanks for the positive info. If you check my rates, at $20/hour, I probably would have been cheaper than the newb who took your senior pictures also Wink
Liu
No offense, but I don't think you're good enough to charge $20/hour.

They're ok photos, but they're just that; like anyone could've taken them. I'm not saying you should stop, but continue taking photos to improve.
S3nd K3ys
Liu wrote:
No offense, but I don't think you're good enough to charge $20/hour.

They're ok photos, but they're just that; like anyone could've taken them. I'm not saying you should stop, but continue taking photos to improve.

20$ an hour? OMG how did I miss that?!?!? Shocked

Question... have you actually been paid to do a photoshoot? And is that all that's in your portfolio?
Blaster
Well some are too up close and not really good shots. I'd say try and try again. This way you will get better. It takes time and you shouldn't give up.
Studio Madcrow
The $20/hour is more just wishful thinking for the future. I've also posted a bunch of non-people photos (landscapes and the like). Get to them through the "extra galleries" link on my site.
bonestorm74
Not bad. Keep it up and you can only get better.
Studio Madcrow
New photos! Check the "extra galleries" option of my page to get at a portfolio "stub" of my best non-people pictures. Also a direct link for those who don't want to go through the links on my site: http://www.studiomadcrow.frih.net/?q=node/17

Comments still wanted.
cuckoo
Your web design skills are kinda cool! I think you need a professional camera to take professional photos, good luck in the future!
jt32470
Studio Madcrow wrote:

I really like not only your photography, but your page layout as well. No broken links, everything flows really well. The only suggestion i could make is to incorporate Jalbum into your site that would make it sweet check out www.jalbum.net maybe the banana album http://www2.jalbum.net/samples/BananaAlbum/
that one is really impressive! great work
proto-man
Good job! I like some of those in the extra galleries.

I don't know why, maybe its the camera, all the pictures all dull. Its just not rich in colour and vibrancy. You just don't feel it with the picture. Like with the rose, its should be bright red, with bright green for the leaves. Something rich.

Keep working and you'll get better. good luck
Captain Fertile
You asked us to rate your photographs so here goes;

Some of these shots were good, showed some real promise. You have a good eye for colour and shapes and this shows in many of the pictures.

Some of your composition was good, some not so good. The quality of finishing in some of the pictures let them down, the contrast was a little low in one or two causing them to look a little washed out (to me), but you called them soft colours in one instance.

Your models fitted the style of pictures in the first section well as did the colours of the clothing etc. – they went well with the rest of the composition.

A really liked the contrasts of In the Arbor and On the Rocks (the background colours are great in this one).

The photographs of places and things are generally good and would not look out of place in a stock photograph gallery – goodness knows there is always a requirement of good stock images by companies. These photos also show your clear interest in angles, forms and structures, quite arty in some ways.

I always feel the best natural light is in the hour or so after sunrise and in the hour before sunset, especially for pictures taken with a natural theme (woodlands, coastal themes etc.).

Your website is good too, quick and simple to use and suits the subject well.

Overall I enjoyed your work, well done.

P.S. I would strongly suggest you get plenty more work for your portfolio by offering free or cheap commissions and ensuring all customers agree that you may use their pictures for advertising and your portfolio – easier to do when you are charging them peanuts or even nothing at all.

Once your work improves further and positive word of mouth from these early commissions spreads, then and only then will you begin to start attracting a better payment and it will come if you keep trying to improve because you have promise.

The early commissions can also bring unexpected recommendation custom to your door without costing you a penny in advertising. So the more you have, the more you will improve, the bigger portfolio you have and the chances of repeat or recommended commissions improves.

Hope some of this helps and Good Luck!
xkobram
I think you could be good when you shoot nature, but not people architecture.

100_0174 - good foto, but how about taking it without those boats...
000_0715 - Nice, but again these buildings arent good for it
000_0640 - Nice, this is the only foto where menmade things are good.
Winter Rose - Missing contrast
jobu
Start with the positive. I love the airplane shot and some of anne's shots.

If I hired a photographer for 20 per hour and got shots like that I am not sure I would be so happy. Especially if it was for say... a business card or something in the professional realm. Then again for high school shots or something I am sure you would be great. Its all relative of expectations.

If you reallywant to do this then you might consider learning some lighting techniques. A giant piece of foil will reflect sun and light up your subjects faces really bringing the picture up to the next level.

On your archutecture shots u should go to your folder and look at your lines again. Almost every one of them goes from the left to the right with a slight lean, when it is meant to be strait up and down. You can't display crooked pics.

Try going to devianart.com for some inspiration.

Keep it up and don't stop no matter what anyone says...including me! Smile
wiehls
the site isnt working for me, at least i triedboth link and the pages werent found
drdestiny
i agree, their only ok
dzign
I might suggest to bring up the contrast of the main object, so the picture would have a focus on. Nice pics though
cocobirdi
on winter rose, either the color could be richer or the contrast sharper... your sharpest, clearest area is in the collection of leaves just to the upper-left of the photo, making me want to look at them. otherwise, gorgeous photo.

on public garden bridge, that's a fascinating use of texture. the only thing that's lacking is the color... on photoshop or something, play with the color, adding or removing different hues until you get it just right.

p1000716 - a good, solid photo. if it weren't for the glare on the windows, something you can't control unless you wanted to wait another couple of hours, this would be a very classy picture.

p1000691 - another good classy photo. might be interesting washed in blue.

p1000660 - this one doesn't hold much interest, but then again, i'm not one for geometric design.

Forest Hills i like. can't put my finger on just why.

100_0217 - mirrory windows are always interesting, but my eye doesn't know where to focus. the windows need to be fascinating in themselves or you're just going to have another, less focused, p1000716.

100_0174 - cute! i love the structure of color. just wish that silly boat wasn't there Smile
cocobirdi
100_0141 - this is nice except i wish the focus of the picture was sharper than the background to provide more "your eye goes HERE". it's nicely balanced tho.

000_0715 - could have been a much nicer shot if it had just a little more daylight. too much of this picture is solid black. with a little more light from that sunset, you would have had more of a reddish, purplish glow on the buildings and water and at least some definition in those trees. without it, the picture lacks balance.

000_0640 - the airplane ruins the serenity of the beach, but that could be just me. Smile otherwise it's well balanced with some beautiful clouds.

these weren't as good as your portraits. play with your camera's focus and figure out how to get your subjects more defined. your composition is good for the most part.
djcaution
I think you need some more interesting pictures. Those are boring. You need ones that make you think. The one of that girl through the gate is a good start
Shewolf
Your pictures are not bad at all, some of them are even beautiful Very Happy

But in general, there are reasons why there are tools like photoshop and likewise. Ways to improve, corp and do the finishing touch on photos, and I will suggest you should lay a bit with those tools. See what they can do with your pictures, to improve the look.
When that's said, don't you dare quitting! I have a feeling you had some fun taking these photos, and in the end, that's all that matters Smile
Guyon
First let me say I have a degree in photography.

Now to answer your question:

Photography is a lot of hard work and takes a lot of practice. Good equipment is also mandatory as you progress as certain features are need in certain conditions.

My best advice is to practice shooting 5 times a day, for at least an hour. A musician has to and photography is no exception. also keep a log of your work and a running portfolio to see your progress.

Posting here takes a lot of guts, but if you have the heart to take the criticism then you have what it take to be a pro someday.

While those pictures are not great, you also not working with a professional model. Keep at it especially with the same girl and both of you will improve. By best advice for bot of you is take a class and start reading book, mags, etc.

How would I improve those pictures? Lighting. You need an assistant with a reflector card and you should be shooing with a flash. A flash in the day? Yep, balanced lighting will really help you out.

One final suggestion, have you model get hair and make up done, but NOT over done.

Best of luck.
m00tmuffin
They're a great start for an amatuer--just keep shooting and practicing, don't give up. Some of your pictures seem blurry or hazy, so work on that. You don't need a professional camera to take good pictures--I use a little digital 300$ Nikon and it's worked wonders for me. But like some others have said also, your colours seem a little off. Suffice to say, some of your pictures show real promise, but I think you just need some practice to improve upon the base you have. Good luck! Smile
Studio Madcrow
Wow, this thread came roaring back to life... Thanks for the hints. There seem to be problems with the DNS stuff tho as I can't actually connect to my site ATM to check stuff and add a few new pictures...

Anyway, I'm glad that I'm at least decent... Hopefully some of your suggestions will let me make the jump from "decent enough" to "friggin' awesome" or something Wink

Anyways, I've heard from "a little bird" that I'll be getting a new camera for Christmas... Look for some more cool pix then...
thealpha
they are nice, please carry on
Studio Madcrow
thealpha wrote:
they are nice, please carry on

I will, whether you like it or not! Muahaha.
alexdude
You show potential, but I don’t like the quality of the images. I think you need a better camera. Once you get it I’d like to see the results then.
Rico
I have to agree with Guyon, - equipment, practice, find better stimulus, read books, lighting, lighting, lighting, lighting. Oh yes and lastly, the most important –lighting-.

For starters try getting up before dawn and shoot that chick with the sunlight hitting her from the side. Once you discover chiaroscuro you’ll be able to judge your own work with more objectivity. Good going though, I’ve seen better and I’ve seen worse.

Ps. I lectured college level photography for three years.
bulek
You have pretty good motive but many pictures are blurry and not clear. I don't know what is wrong (it may be camera or your hands Wink ). Try to get better digital camera or even better, DSLR. Your pictures will be much better then.
Captain Fertile
Well I hoep you got your new camera, so come ack and tell us if you did and if we are going to be seeing anything new from you.

I liked your stuff and was pleased you took what people had to say in your stride.

If you want to be a photographer it is one of those jobs where EVERYONE is an 'expert'. Laughing
dvanex
These are just normal photos they have nothing special about them. If somone wants a picture of them then you go ahead and take one. These photos don't mean anything to me though. The one thing about taking a photo is thinking, would someone want this as their desktop background. I think you should get photoshop add some effects. The effects would give your photos the extra touch thyey need to have everyone like them and not just people who are or know people in them.
;Neeko
Studio Madcrow wrote:

Mmmm.. Calification: 6/10 :S
Studio Madcrow
I had completely forgotten about my site! Expect major updates soon, including awesome new film-based work and some resources/propoganda about using film still.
lethaltriad
Your pictures show promise IMHO. Nowadays all you need is a 6-7MP point and shoot camera and you shouldnt have a problem with quality. I used to shoot landscape with a 7.1MP point & shoot Canon and then moved up to DSLR's and it's hard to notice the difference in quality with 8by12 prints. Alot of it also is post production. Do play around with photoshop to add contrast and fine tune colors to help make the images pop more. Also a little unsharpen mask would be good as some of the pics look soft. Last but not least practice and practice some more. Take as much pics as you can, whenever you can and join some art communities for inspiration.
rheanna
very nice.. I like the waterfall pics and the sunset. I also like the girl behind the fence. Great job..

Photo skills. I rate you a 10 Surprised)
thealpha
it's not bad i think
Studio Madcrow
Thanks for the comments. It's nice to know that people seem to like my stuff. Anyways, I've just got back my first roll of slide film and while the slides look great in my viewer (and I have some great images on my slides) they look over-grainy (compared to other people's scans from the same slide film) when scanned on my university's slide scanner, and they look blurry when scanned using the slide mode of my flatbed at home... Oh well, them's just the breaks I guess.
myforrum
nice website...like the design. and the photos are good too. keep up the good work
Studio Madcrow
Thanks for the nice comment. I do plan on keeping up the good work (and making it even better)
mistertomer
dont give up it looks fantastic
Sirpale
Pretty nice pics. You have just keep training Wink
Studio Madcrow
Thanks for your ongoing positice comments. I've got some new shots up (finally) so be sure to check my site out and give your opinion...

Also, I'm not sure how many of you know this, but you can actually sign up for my site and get access to image files that are about twice the size of what you can see normally. And you can make comments Wink