FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Locked Topics- A little venting

Phil
This is more of a "Vent" than a suggestion, but I'd like to bring it up to see what everyone thinks.
I was looking through the threads earlier today when I came across a thread that got my attention. Basically it was a comment about a piece of software that the poster liked.
Well a moderator replied. He asked the poster to do a search next time on the topic. He also pointed to a previous thread.
The thread was almost a year old.
Now my comment is this: Frihost is a forum. People post on forums. If people are being discouraged from posting, guess what. The forum will lose posters.
Now Frihost and it's moderators aren't as bad as I've seen on other forums and I realize there are times when a poster should use a search, but what's wrong with posting a topic that's almost a year old? Your going to have a lot of general topics. especially on a forum like this being that we need to post to keep our accounts open.
I guess what I'm trying to say is I would hate to see Frihost get like some other forums I've seen in the past. Frihost is really an exceptional forum.
Traveller
Phil wrote:
Well a moderator replied. He asked the poster to do a search next time on the topic. He also pointed to a previous thread.
The thread was almost a year old.

If you were to post a link to the specific topic in question, we could address your concerns more directly. As it stands, I checked the current message history, and the only such threads in the Software forum were this one (which was closed by a moderator who pointed the discussion toward this), and this one (which was closed by a moderator who pointed the discussion toward this).

Indeed, the first of those goes back to a thread that was started Wed May 18, 2005 7:37 am, and the second to a thread that was started Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:00 am. Careful examination, however, reveals that the most recent post for the first thread (as of my writing this reply) was Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:17 pm, and for the second, was Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:38 am. In each of those cases, the threads to which the moderator referred the users may have been started a long time a go, but were still, definitely, quite current.

Phil wrote:
Now my comment is this: Frihost is a forum. People post on forums. If people are being discouraged from posting, guess what. The forum will lose posters.

People are not being discouraged from posting: they are being discouraged from posting mindlessly. Consider it from the perspective of someone who wants to read about a particular topic: having to sift through multiple posts about the same topic and weed out all the duplicate messages that result from the other users' not having seen what was posted in the other threads, can be discouraging. Likewise, it can cause a dramatic drop in the intelligent quality of the discussions (as subjective and relative as that can be, considering some of the topics).
Phil
Well, I didn't want to come out and be specific, but the thread I was referring to was "Foobar2000". And after looking back, your right. Tha last post in the second thread was November 1.
But, I must say, the moderator's response was not telling about a current disscussion. In fact it was:
Quote:

Please search before posting.

-close-

I just really got the impression the guy wanted to talk about Foobar2000. In fact, I was going to respond.
I agree with keeping the mindless posting down. What makes a great forum is what makes a great website.... content. (Something the Frihost Forum is already quite full of) All I ask is that the moderators not be so quick to judge if a post is...... intelligent enough.
scotty
Phil wrote:
All I ask is that the moderators not be so quick to judge if a post is...... intelligent enough.

Recurring theme here. Similar issue is being discussed in this thread.

If a thread is going to be closed for duplicate topics, and it is so easy to search as all the moderators keep saying, maybe when you lock a thread you should provide an informative explanation as to why the thread in question is being locked and where to go to discuss it further, ie. the thread(s) that are already open.

When someone opens a thread with a good question and it is locked on the basis of it being a duplicate thread they feel insulted when some mod says "please use the search". That's not building a community.
defnet
Yes people your right, it discourages and sounds somewhat mean. ByTheWay: Sometimes old topics have to mentioned in a new treath to get viewers and replies. Cuz most ppl just look at the new threads and repply on those. The most active treads are the new ones. After a week you see how your viewers number drops to NULL. I like this forum though.

BUT CAN THE FRIHOST MANAGEMENT INCORPORATE SEARCH FUNCTIONALITY ON THE FORUM. Cuz that could solve the problem. I don't really feel like searching 3449 threads on Computers and Software to find the answer to my problem.

I'd rather enter "MP3 Player firmware" and press SEARCH to find all topics that dealt about that subject.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK FRIHOST Very Happy
Bondings
defnet wrote:
I'd rather enter "MP3 Player firmware" and press SEARCH to find all topics that dealt about that subject.

We do have search: http://www.frihost.com/forums/search.php . I'm also most likely going to implement a google search option. They index most of our pages (except the last 1-2 weeks) and have a way better search system.
coreymanshack
yes, i think google would hip up the site searching a little bit "Smile
defnet
OK thanks Bondings.
I will now use the search thing.
Sorry. I didn't know. Sad
I apologize for my incorrect acusation.
Cal_123
It is a bit annoying when your topic is closed because of ancient ones, but I suppose it's to stop spammage heh?
Dark_Tiger
This actually brings up a question I have: Where does the Frihost community draw the line between duplicate threads and thread necromancy? I usually ignore anything off the first page/over a month since the last post (whichever is shorter) but I'd like to find out what the rule is before I step in it.