FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Roller coasters

smokey4life
Roller coasters

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you all know by now, my interest in tracked models and toys covers a lot of territory! Yet another variation in model railroading which I find interesting is the model roller coaster. These are cool as part of a train layout, or as stand-alone displays.

They didn't have much on the market back when I was a kid. All I remember were the tin litho, wind-up Chein toys, and similar. I couldn't afford them on my allowance(and still buy Hot Wheels, anyway). Perhaps those of you who are parents are aware of K'nex, and Roller Coaster Tycoon building sets. K'nex has been selling these for a dozen years or more, and they currently offer several different coaster kits, which shows that kids today actually like these things(!!!)

For some years, the German model kit maker Faller have made neat HO operating amusement park ride kits, including several compact steel-type roller coasters. CoasterDynamix is now making O scale kits to build custom-configurable modern steel coasters, and recently made available the first HO kit for an operating, old-fashioned style wood coaster.

I am surprised to see the amount of interest in coaster models, as evidenced by the material on the web. I've had a few model building ideas along these lines, and I'd certainly be interested in hearing what others have planned, or built.