FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Film Making - Anybody got tips?

Hogwarts
Hey could anybody help me? Me and my friends were planning to make a short video and post it on Youtube (Yay for youtube). Does any body have any tips as to how we could go about/improve it and what editing software we could use for it?

PS: By the way, I won't appear in the film. I'm just the editing guy Razz
munkey_boy
Hogwarts wrote:

Thats a relief Razz.

Hmm I suggest maybe Windows Movie Maker 1 Shocked He he he.

Edit: 2nd post in this forum Wink.

Edit 2&3: Fixed all mistakes.
Loghete
Use WMM2 if you use WMM... If you want to make a little more professional one, you have to pay a little..
Josso
Yes, unfortunatly some of the middle-of-the-range paid for ones aren't that much better than WMM. But it's a good place to start to be honest, the rendering options are super simplified and I still use it for exactly that reason. I expect professional digital artists still use paint for some things... small simple programs are useful to use along with your proper software because sometimes doing simple tasks can be too drawn out in your proffesional software.

I did quite a lot with WMM but once your getting very complicated it will lag - no matter what computer you have, it's badly designed. Should be ok for some small projects though. Just make sure to switch auto-save on and save it as often as possible (CTRL+S)
william
Depends on how high tech you want to go and whether or not you are willing to pay. For the VERY basics, just stick with Windows Movie Maker. You might want to try PowerDirector (around 80 USD) or Ulead VideoStudio (around 100 USD). They're both really nice, but it really depends on what you want to do.
Magicman
I use Sony Screenblast movie studio (now called Vegas Movie Studio) for film editing. It can do some pretty cool things but it probably costs about 100USD or more. I'm not sure about the cost though, it was a gift and it was a while ago.
If you want something free, try using AVISynth (a video scripting language) and Virtual Dub (basic editing and reads AVISynth files. This method has a slightly steep learning curve but its free and can do some cool things. Try Googling both programs and you should find them.
apro
if you want to start with video editing go to this site
www.vcdhelp.com

very goed site to starters with a lot of freeware and shareware to start.

Hogwarts wrote:
Hey could anybody help me? Me and my friends were planning to make a short video and post it on Youtube (Yay for youtube). Does any body have any tips as to how we could go about/improve it and what editing software we could use for it?

monzoncf
Actually, We've done filming in our Multimedia Project and we've done a Documentary Film.
I've used different video editing softwares here it is:

1. Sony Vegas - I've used it because it has a different style of effects like the light rays effect which I loved the most. But rendering is too slow enough...

2. Deskshare Video Edit Magic - I've used it to edit our entire film. This software is very reliable and topnotch for the speed of rendering....

We've also give a try for Adobe Premiere 2.0 but unfortunately this software really running slow and the rendering of the movie is so sloooow. It takes you for about 1 and a half day just to render a 30 mins. film

This is just my opinions as I experienced it... So good luck... Hope to see it in youtube... Smile [/i]
whiteboywithsoul
I teach video production, have 2 degrees in Film Production and have 2 Emmys. My advice is to not watch reality shows. The art of moviemaking has declined in recent years so much so that basic rules are essentially forgotten.
Here you go:
1. Use a tripod!
2. Use a microphone other than the camera mic.
3. Get plenty of angles.
4. Use lights.
5. Take CARE in what you do.

So many people these days just turn on the camera and think its good. It might be...to you, but consider this...will it be interesting to someone else besides your friends?
Hobbit
whiteboywithsoul wrote:
I teach video production, have 2 degrees in Film Production and have 2 Emmys. My advice is to not watch reality shows. The art of moviemaking has declined in recent years so much so that basic rules are essentially forgotten.
Here you go:
1. Use a tripod!
3. Get plenty of angles.
4. Use lights.

So many people these days just turn on the camera and think its good. It might be...to you, but consider this...will it be interesting to someone else besides your friends?

I swear you sound JUST like my teacher, maybe you are.
sabe
Have any of you guys used Pinnacle Studio? I am just starting to and am trying to get a Jr. High class going. Can any of you suggest a good camera that does not cost an arm & a leg? I am trying to get a few cameras, wireless Mic,- so the kids don't rip the cords out, yes it has happened a number of times- and a way to digitally edit.

I only have a small budget so If you have a way to get grants I'll take that advise too.

I've been told that Pinnacle studio, Premiere elements, movie studio and the ulead product are the same from a quality of output standpoint. My problem is I only have 1 shot to purchase 3-4 of these things and put them on my computers to create curriculum. I can't afford to make a large mistake.

Any help would be appriciated.....
sabe
whiteboywithsoul wrote:
Here you go:
1. Use a tripod!
3. Get plenty of angles.
4. Use lights.

Exclamation Exclamation I agree.. I used to teach video and am getting back into it. W/o good sound and a good picture nothing else matters. I did things using analog stuff and you can't edit what you don't have... Remember nothing is by accident. Plan plan and you will be able to do plenty of fun stuff after the basics are done. I don't have the credentials of this video maker but all of the curriculum and "how to" books that I have researched say the same thing. It seems the great ones make changes AFTER they know the basics. If I am lucky, I will teach one of those one day.
VidE
Hogwarts, books, online resources, user manuals will all help, but a general request for tips is a wee bit vague. The best way at the beginning is to shoot and edit your movie, figure out what you don't like and then ask, research and try again. And again and again... There is no magic bullet knowledge< just commitment and practice.

Sabe-most of the editing programs have 30 day tryouts. Download and give them a spin... As for the 'quality' of the output, most of these programs are designed for DV and use codecs independent of the program itself. They do step in to process dissolves, title keys, etc., but overall the output quality shouldn't really vary that much from program to program.
LostOverThere
Yeah, using Mic's is a great thing, seriously.

If you cant do that, remember:

1) Speak Load Enough - Project your Voice
2) Speak as Clearly as possible
3) Don speak to fast
4) (For some people) Dont use words starting with 'S' to much, as you can really pick it up on the camera as a Slur. Idea

Also, using a Tripod is great, though, if you cant, remember:
1) Put the Camera someone where it will be safe - a Shelf or something
2) Make sure the camera is straight!!!

HTH,
-Lost
BlockUp
I am a movie editor, it's my dream to do it for a living.

Personally, I use Adobe Premiere, but that cost an arm and a leg. Then again, I am really serious about movies, editing, animation, etc.

However, if you are too young or just cannot afford to shell out on Premiere, then I strongly recommend this open source program, Jahshaka.
It is very, very good, similar to Premiere in many ways, but please be sure to read some documentation about it before you begin because it is not one of those programs that you can pick up on within a few days. Trust me.

Heres the site: http://www.jahshaka.org/

Hope my advice helped!
fizzo
I have Power Director 5 by CyberLink and it looks good Lots of new Features...
mstreet
Sabe Said
Quote:
I can't afford to make a large mistake.

If you are a teacher you'd be able to get the educational discounts which are usually at least half the price.[/quote]
junkrabbit
What are your thoughts on After Effects? I feel like it is too slow for rendering and editing. I like to work quick and preview quick and make changes. I can't seem to get it to work fast enough.
DivineConclave
Hogwarts wrote:

I like Sony's Video Vegas. I use that a lot. It's simple, yet detailed. Premier is also a REALLY nice program, but takes a bit of getting used to.
Editing is where the fun begins. Enjoy every late-night with cheetohs and mountain dew that you can!

There is a REALLY cool site that colleges use as a competition site. You can view short college films there and a lot of them have contact info and the students (often film students) are usually really cool about answering questions. It's called:

http://www.filmfights.com/
tiel_99
I've used Sony Vegas 4 and it is a pretty cool piece of software. I like how it is so user friendly and simple to use. Just drag and drop.

I moved to it from AVID and I picked it up within an hour. All the effects were realtime. I used it for more than a year before my PC slowed down and I had to change it.

Having said that, there were two problems I did have with it.

One is that there is only one viewer in the software. I'm not aware if later versions incorporated a second viewer, but this was one of my beefs about it.

The other is that while the effects are all real time while editing, they do take a long time to render when you are ready to print to tape.

Since I ditched my PC, I've traded it for a mac and I now use Final Cut Pro 5.1 for my video editing.

It's pretty similar to AVID and a lot like Premiere.

I like it now and would recommend it anytime. If you don't need a really high end software, consider getting Final Cut Express. It's almost the same thing and works just as fine for most video projects.

If you're looking for a camera, at this moment I must recommend the Sony Z1. It's really a notch above the Canon's and JVC's in terms of picture quality.

But this is only just my opinion.
Coclus
If you want to use a proffesional program, I would recommend something like Pinnacle Studio 10...
tiel_99
Hi Coclus,

why pinnacle studio 10? I've heard lots about pinnacle, but I've never had experience with them.
DivineConclave
Final Cut Pro is another good one.. I agree completely. I haven't used that since college though... in the Mac lab. Personally, I am an anti-Mac person, but there is a PC version of FCPro available as well.

I've had issues with render times no matter what I use... but I am only running a 2.06GHz CPU with 1gig ram and a 256 vid card. :-/ Working on that though. hehe... *sigh* *looks at wallet* *sighs* *tosses wallet on dresser* Working on that.
VidE
As to using After Effects, it's not designed for editing, previewing sound/dialog is clunky, etc.

Also, at least as far as Adobe Premiere goes, if you are using DV footage as opposed to HDV, you can try getting used versions 5.x or 6.x on e-bay and you should be doing just fine.
tiel_99
Is there a PC version of FCP? I'm aware of it yet. When was it released?

I think the one thing which all of us who work with NLE's hate is the word RENDER!

Don't worry about the wallet... you'll get there.

One way is to go find a project which pays you enough to buy a system in order to service the job.

It took me almost a year, but I finally found a project which paid for my FCP system. I'm glad I have it now.
HereticMonkey
And don't forget the script! A lot of new movie-makers forget that a script is important, and just go with a basic outline.

If you can, ask your actors what type of roles they want to play, and then base your script off of that. Take some time to plot things out, and then you'll be able to better plan what shots you need, and be able to plan them out.

If you need some help, PM me; I can help...
RetardPro
Me and my friends are getting into Machinamation. We're trying to make a movie in Halo, like Red vs Blue, but with our own origional ideas. That's why we need a website, for support, ideas, and to put our vids on the net...
DivineConclave
tiel_99 wrote:
Is there a PC version of FCP? I'm aware of it yet. When was it released?

I think the one thing which all of us who work with NLE's hate is the word RENDER!

Don't worry about the wallet... you'll get there.

One way is to go find a project which pays you enough to buy a system in order to service the job.

It took me almost a year, but I finally found a project which paid for my FCP system. I'm glad I have it now.

I wish I could tell you when it was released. I was checking it out about a year ago, but I have no idea when, from where, why, how, or what aliens released it.

I don't mind rendering so much. That's when I get my housework done. Wink

Not too worried about the wallet or all that. Getting there. I just do video/sound editing and such as a hobby anyway. My degrees are in theatre (acting, dance, lighting design) so it's really just a fun hobby for me. I'm looking at building a new computer specifically for design/editing work... 64bit DC, dual 1-gig vid card (I saw this somewhere and about passed out), 4g RAM, but I am just waiting for the prices to come down a little.

And HM, I agree... don't forget about the script. One thing so many people do is say, "HEY! Wouldn't it be cool if...?!" and then they do it again and by the time they're done making it 'cool', they forgot entirely about the script and the emotion and even the plot of the script and the whole purpose is lost and the audience is left going, "wtf?" That happens a lot in indie films too, and I love indie films.
Tom7
Sony Vegas would have to be my preferred editing software, as it is simple-ish, but still full of features, I know it is expensive, but it is worth it. You cannot determine how long a video will take to render, just by the length. There are many different variables to consider, such as, effects, transitions, quality of video, and the format of video. Also, hard drive speed and processor speed make a large difference.

Programs like premier pro, render some transitions and effects when you apply them, this has some good points and bad points. One good reason is that it doesn't take as long to export/render, although, it means you have to wait until it is rendered until you can view it, if you don't like it, then you have wasted time waiting for it.

Hope this helps.
Alaskacameradude
I have a degree in TV production, 10 years experience shooting for broadcast TV, and own a video production company....those are my qualifications. As for an answer to your question....it really depends.

First, I am a Mac guy so I dont know as much about the windows side of things but I do know some. Imovie and Windows movie maker are fine for a lot of things. How serious about this are you? For most hobbyists these programs will work fine. If you want to do any compositing (layering of video and graphics) you will have to move up to another application.

I use Final Cut Pro, Motion, After Effects, and some other programs for my work. Of course these programs run around $1000 so that is steep if you aren't going to make money off your videos.

On the Mac side Final Cut Studio is great. On the windows side Premiere Pro is pretty good and integrates with After Effects so if you have both, you can do motion tracking, rotoscoping, and 3D moves as well as particle effects like flames, snow, rain etc.. I have a friend who swears by Vegas Video which is around $400-500 I think, and allows for compositing. I see Premiere also offers Premiere Elements for under $100 so that may be worth checking out. Adobe's stuff is good stuff in general so I would think that may worth looking at.
pudovkin
VCDHelp.com is a great source.
Whong
Read this filmmaking guide it's great! Sollthar's filmmaking guide is really great, so much info all for free! Very Happy

http://fxhome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=260262#260262
Jaan
Go to Hogwarts and ask for some tea!

Sony Vegas ftw, very good app.
VidE
Besides all the different editing/software choices, watch a few films in the genre you're looking to emulate on DVD or tape and find a few scenes that look something like what you're thinking of doing. Watch them over and over. Look for how and when wide shots, clos-ups etc. are used, how people are framed, both singly and together. Standard scenes often include
a wide or establishing shot, 2 shots if it is a couple, then as the conversation continues/intensifies, singles, medium close-ups and close-ups are thrown in. Reaction shots, over-the shoulder shots, etc. are mixed in.

Watch good movies, watch slowly and carefully, it's all there...not only the edits but the shots needed to create the edits.