FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dracula?

Etcetera
I plan on reading the original Dracula soon, after reading a little bit of the beginning on Amazon. I was wondering if anybody could offer a review or something, I think it might be a bit hard to get through or stay interested in ._.

Though, it must be good if so many things are based off of it now. =]
TurtleShell
I read Dracula in college--it's been a few years, but my opinions of it are fairly fresh. It's not difficult to follow, it starts off well, with a solid, creepy first chapter...as I remember, it opens with a main character, he's in Dracula's castle, he thinks it's scary. Anyway, it's atmospheric, enticing...but it's all downhill from there.

In classic victorian style, the characters are weepy, needy, helpless victims. Sometimes that appeals to me, but I don't know, I didn't feel like Dracula pulled it off. In the end, I was just annoyed. Personally, if you're just interested in classic monster novels, I definitely enjoyed Frankenstein more. While it too is full of victims, I found Dr. Frankenstein to be an appealing character, even given his tragic role.

Actually, I'm reading the Historian right now, which is a Dracula/vampire novel. It is (so far) a lot more what I wanted from Dracula than what I actually got. I've read reviews of the Historian online, and it looks like just as many people hated it as loved it...so maybe I'll decide I hate it too, but so far I'm hooked.
onemoment
this is all true. but i must say i do have a soft spot for trashy hollywood vampire movies. even the terrible ones, and the ones that are totally fantasy and in no way similar to the old school dracula stories.