FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Are graphing calculators computers?

Are graphing calculators computers
Yes
90%
 90%  [ 9 ]
No
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 10

Studio Madcrow
I've always considered graphing calculators to be very small computers. After all, you can program them, they have both permanent and temporary storage and generally seem like the miniaturized children of old school 80s home computers... Any way, some people disagree? Are you one of them? Why? Discuss.
ocalhoun
Of course they are; even four-function calculators are computers. (They do as much as the Eniac did, and it was considered a computer)
SunburnedCactus
ocalhoun wrote:
Of course they are; even four-function calculators are computers. (They do as much as the Eniac did, and it was considered a computer)

Couldn't have put it better myself. They compute - therefore they are computers. Easy.
william
Yep, they definitely are computers. Like others have said, so are 4 function calculators, after all, they compute. Graphing calculators have a lot of the features your normal PC does.

And don't forget, the abacus is a computer. Wink
mikethm
william wrote:
Yep, they definitely are computers. Like others have said, so are 4 function calculators, after all, they compute. Graphing calculators have a lot of the features your normal PC does.

And don't forget, the abacus is a computer. Wink

Haha. Imagine if there were message forums in ancient china... LaoZi and Confucius will be arguing whether metal made abacus( better sound effect) and wooden abacus( portability) are better. hohoho.
Studio Madcrow
I'd argue that abacuses are NOT computers. They don't have stored instructions (or even an instruction set), they can't be programmed, they don't have true I/O... They are not computers, they're merely physical, analog accumulators, the equivalent of a single register of a CPU.
nilsmo
The 83+ is definitely a computer. It has a Z80 processor which interprets program code. Same with nearly all other graphing calculators (TI 80, TI 85, HP graphing calculators).

Wikipedia wrote:
A computer is a machine for manipulating data according to a list of instructions known as a program.

However, I'm not sure four function calculators are computers, since AFAIK they don't run programs stored in memory but instead have circuits for adding, multiplying, subtracting and dividing.
ocalhoun
nilsmo wrote:

However, I'm not sure four function calculators are computers, since AFAIK they don't run programs stored in memory but instead have circuits for adding, multiplying, subtracting and dividing.

And who says computers have to have programs stored in memory?
A four-function calculator's programing is hardwired into the system; it would be possible to make a modern computer that way; though there would be no way to change anything on it, it could be used for normal tasks. (It would also have the advantage of being completely invincible to malicious software.)
Xeniczone
Any electronic device that can "think" for itself is technically a computer. Or any electronic device that can calculate math problems is also a computer. Computers are everywhere.

Even your car has a computer in it that controls the engine.
Traffic lights are a form of computer to control what light is on when.