FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Bootmenu Options

nothingXelse
I'll make it short and simple, I have Belkin router and Wifi card that has a tendency to fail, I can't afford a Mac, and I love Linux so its a free alt to XP which is ****** up lately.

I am switching my network card with my dads modem and router so I have the direct connection not a routed connection. Linux didn't like my wifi card so it didn't recognize it.

What I basically want since I am reformatting my HD to install XP and Linux, how can I boot straight into linux without the bootmenu? But, if I have an issue with the network I can boot into windows, and reset it?

Basically XP won't be used except to hold Belkins driver since it is only compatible with XP. Incase of an emergency XP will be booted to reset the network.

So:

Boot---->Linux
But if an emergency somehow pull the bootmenu up
Boot----->Bootmenu: Linux/XP---->XP.

I know its possible to boot straight in, I just forgot, but I just wanna know incase of an emergency how to boot into windows, even though I set it so Linux boots instead.

Thanks
{name here}
nothingXelse wrote:
I'll make it short and simple, I have Belkin router and Wifi card that has a tendency to fail, I can't afford a Mac, and I love Linux so its a free alt to XP which is ****** up lately.

I am switching my network card with my dads modem and router so I have the direct connection not a routed connection. Linux didn't like my wifi card so it didn't recognize it.

What I basically want since I am reformatting my HD to install XP and Linux, how can I boot straight into linux without the bootmenu? But, if I have an issue with the network I can boot into windows, and reset it?

Basically XP won't be used except to hold Belkins driver since it is only compatible with XP. Incase of an emergency XP will be booted to reset the network.

So:

Boot---->Linux
But if an emergency somehow pull the bootmenu up
Boot----->Bootmenu: Linux/XP---->XP.

I know its possible to boot straight in, I just forgot, but I just wanna know incase of an emergency how to boot into windows, even though I set it so Linux boots instead.

Thanks

GRUB should do the trick for what you want. Just shorten the startup time to Linux. That's the only way I see how you can get what you want.