FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Google OS

Should Google make a line of Operating Systems?
Definitely
76%
 76%  [ 30 ]
No way
23%
 23%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 39

RhysAndrews
heheh, before you get excited; No, there's not one coming out as far as I know.
http://www.kottke.org/04/04/google-operating-system

As it seems obvious that Microsoft and Google are having friendly (or unfriendly) competition against each other, I personally feel Google has blown Microsoft up, and MS is intensely trying to catch up to Google.

Then I realised, the only thing Google lacks in relation to Microsoft, is an operating system. As the link above shows, Google has made it's own custom OS capable of taking all of it's services in one, gigantic system.

Well, what if Google joined in with Mac, Windows, Linux, and all the other OS's with their own operating system? Would they release it for free? Or would it be their first (as far as I know) product that involves buying? Or maybe an operating system just isn't Google's thing. I'd like to read people's opinions.

Regards
Rhys Andrews
godam64
it would be nice if google create new os for free. no matter they create from scratch or develop from linux or other os. we need more alternatives to microsoft windows. i hope it can be true. Very Happy
scotty
It's a very exciting prospect in terms of the computing world to see what Google does. If they released an operating system from free it would be a force to be reckoned with. I know there are other free operating systems, but none of their creators have the presence or ability of Google to market a product.

But as you may not have noticed that article is over 2 years old so as you can see nothing has come of any of their predictions. My personal opinion is that they probably won't make an operating system in the near future anyway and just focus on web applications.
drdestiny
i recall my cousin that works at google has a computer with a custom google linux distro, could be mistaken tho
Aless
A Google OS would be absolutely awesome. Clean lines, easy navigation, NO CRASHES OR BUGS....ahhhhh, when????

Smile
Jaan
KEKEKEKEKE!!! YES! Brilliant, but probly never, as Bill Gates already bribed them.
hellrahul
It would be gooood if google create a OS.
I think it wiould be free...

I will shift myself from windows to GooOs if it happens...
bigdan
Hmmm....maybe it'll be based on Linux in someway...that's the only way I can ever see Google putting out their own OS.
Davidgr1200
Microsoft definitely need more competition, just look at the licensing agreement for Windows Vista. They are trying everything they can get away with - not allowed to sell it on to someone else, only allowed to move it onto one other machine even if you delete it from the first one. And if you get the OEM version (the one which comes with your PC) you aren't even allowed to move it to another machine if your first machine breaks down! Any company that threats its customers like that needs more competition. Doesn't matter if it's free or has to be paid for.
Arseniy
Definetly!
With these great things that they made for this years they just MUST to make an OS! I'll buy it first. Microsoft is so bored, that's why GoogleOS will repaid with many users. And me:).
Vista is boring, XP boring too. We need something new...
"Vista is XP, but folders in Vista are like... folders". (c) My friends dad.
Shiva
WOUW!!!

If the Operating system is as good as the rest of google so far.. Then defenetly!!!

I only hope it's compatible with normal PC products and drivers and so on!!

But if it's compatible enough then I would vote for Google OS!!! Laughing
Manofgames
Crikey... Never thought about that.

But I suppose it makes sense, after all they make one heck of a lot of money (Google now earns more from advertsing than one of the Uk's biggest TV company's)

So I bet they are moving onto pastures new, so to speak. But wether that's an OS which would be very good (especially if its linux) or something entirely different, only time will tell.
william
Yeah, I've heard about it before. One source stated that Google will have an operating system out by the year 2010. It would be really cool, though. Hopefully Google's operating system is better quality when compared to Microsoft's Windows. Also, if it is, they better find a way to defeat Microsoft and take control of the market away from Microsoft. Just my opinion on that as I can't stand Microsoft ruling 95% of the market. There is just one thing weird about this "Google Operating System." One source stated that all the applications have a "G" in front of it. Examples include G-browser and G-word.

Overall, it would be really cool if Google released an Operating System.
Manofgames
But if you think about it, If google overthrow MS, then they will be the 'Overlords' and own the 95%.

One such saying which I think is related to this scenario is: 'Who will police the police'

Actually, it proabably isn't related, but my point is that Just because google is good now, doesn't mean it will be in 5 years time when MS is dead, and google rule.

Don't mistake me though, I'd like to see google stake its claim. Very Happy
Josso
Yeah, I'm not sure it would be worth their while considering it's a lot of work but I'm sure if it ever was released it would be free and better than Windows Laughing
william
Manofgames wrote:
But if you think about it, If google overthrow MS, then they will be the 'Overlords' and own the 95%.

One such saying which I think is related to this scenario is: 'Who will police the police'

Actually, it proabably isn't related, but my point is that Just because google is good now, doesn't mean it will be in 5 years time when MS is dead, and google rule.

Don't mistake me though, I'd like to see google stake its claim. Very Happy

Well, I suppose you are right about that. But I honestly can't picture Google as "bad" as Microsoft. But, I would be a little worried if Google controlled the Internet and my desktop. Shocked Anyway, what I do hope is that Google takes some, not all, of the market share from Microsoft.
sibbahz
Its likely that its based on something else, would be a lot of unecessary work to start a new OS from scratch when theres so much open source software out there.
jamessweeney
A Google OS is unnecessary. The whole idea of Web 2.0 and Google's current strategy is that the web itself is the platform on which new products are developed. It does not matter what operating system you use, so long as you have a modern web browser. Look at how Google are eating into Microsoft's and others market share

Outlook -> GMail. Google Calendar
Adobe Picture Album -> Picasa
Encarta Maps -> Google Maps
MS Word/Excel -> Google Spreadsheets and Docs

Other services such as Google Video, YouTube, Google Base, Google Notebook are further evidence that you now require less and less applications installed on your OS as you can now find alternatives that can be used on the web. Also note that your data also resides on the web making you more mobile.

The flip side of this mobility is that your now have to trust your data to Google. Thus Google could become the next Microsoft should they decide to start charging customers for these now free services.
dz9c
go for it google you own everything else
STYLAN
Google should make its way into the os since it has been successful in the field of search engines and other departements.
google is one of the most popular companies in the world.
so with all these experience google is having a chance to compete
Duncan Idaho
I dont think this is a good idea. If all the big companys would work together on OS's, and improving current technology together instead of competeing, operating systems and computers would be much better.
Victus13
I'm not sure. Google has done a good job with most of their products. I've been extremely happy with Gmail.

Though I still have to use MSN, beacuse everyone else uses it, I'll live.

I think if they did an OS, they would probly do a good job, most of their other stuff is clean, easy to use and generally works.
ocalhoun
Duncan Idaho wrote:
I dont think this is a good idea. If all the big companys would work together on OS's, and improving current technology together instead of competeing, operating systems and computers would be much better.

I'm not sure about that; I think it would become incredibly bloated, as well as take years and years to finally be finished.
lococobra
I think you guys arn't realizing one crutial point... If Google created a compairable operating system to microsoft, most people using computers for personal use would swap over. However, buisnesses which have already spent tons of money buying Windows XP Corperate would be quite hesitant to swap.

Heres where the problem takes hold. In order for the Google OS to have any chance of fighing XP, it would have to be able to run most XP programs without any emulation to slow it down, meaning that for the most part, the Google OS wouldn't really be any better than XP. The most they could really do would simply be modifying small parts for optimization... but do you really think that would fly with Microsoft? Probably not...

For this reason alone, I dont think a Google OS is plausible.
sonicj
Jaan wrote:
KEKEKEKEKE!!! YES! Brilliant, but probly never, as Bill Gates already bribed them.

I heard he stole it Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing
Manofgames
Duncan Idaho wrote:

Actually, I just got a feed on my mobile yesterday from http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk

That said that MS and Novel were going to be working together (http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/5397/6421/microsoft-and-novell-sign-agreements.phtml)

Should be wuite interesting Very Happy

Deffinetly a new leaf for MS Very Happy
eku53ru
I don't honestly know what to think if Google were to create an operating system. The proposed name for it GooOS cracked me up, though - I first mispronounced that as goose.

But yeah - it doesn't look like an OS is coming, especially since the article is a bit old (as mentioned by others in this thread).
shwetanshu
if Google makes an OS, i will definitely buy it and so will most of my frnds who are using P*****D windows!!
Marston
... Why would google.com, a search engine site, ever make an operating system? The future of applications is on the internet anyways, so...
SUPERKOOL92
A Google browser would be cool. Convienant little Gmail, Froogle, etc things built in. Google's stock would increase, I think.
desertwind
Whatever it may be, I'm quite sure that if they are coming out with an OS, It'll remain beta for atleast 5 years. (or may be more)
reddishblue
I am not sure why everyone is against Microsoft, they may be in most peoples computers but that does not make them bad, I would test a Google OS but I think I would still use my XP
defnet
Arrow A japanese saying that my dad always told me was: Wise people focus on their targret while fools spread to grab everything they can take.

Google could make an OS. Heck yeah!! They for sure got the team to do it. But if they would now make an OS they will have to spread their concentration. At the moment, Google only has to concentrate on offering reliable internet services and this makes them one of the best.

If they would start making OSes the quality of their services could drop (if they are not able to deal with the increased pressure). Further, I do not really think that computers will work entirely through the internet in the near future because of the security threaths
carlospro7
google is so popular toaday, that if they make a great OS system, it could easily get big. Linux is a great system, but unfortunately lacks popularity. Google should make linux based OS
THE11thROCK™
Check out Google X. It seems to be a nice Mac Dock emulation. Anyway, Google will rock if they release an OS. Google knows what people want, search and the information a computer user may usually need. Their experience in the search engine business and other software experiments will give them leverage if ever they decide to venture in the OS realms. And yeah, compared to Microsoft, Google listens much to the user feedback and suggestions.
MYP415
I agree with reddishblue that you shouldn't bash on microsoft windows jsut becasuse its everywhere. No one forced anyone to get it, the reason for its success is the hardwork they put into creating and marketing it. As for the idea of google os I think it would be great simply because almsot everything else google does has been great and simple and easy for the users. It may also get microsoft to step up their game which may lead to an increase in features in future operating systems (which is good for the user bad for the company because htye have to spend more).
violationgames
It would be cool to have a GoogleOS. Why? Because it would be a free alternative to Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X. Currently many people use Windows, and Mac OS X. Those are easy to learn operating systems. Linux might be too hard for an average computer user. Google should make an OS that will be easy like OS X and Windows, but yet have more features in it.
nox-Hand
No time to read the thread, as I am in a hurry Sad

Well, Googleos.com is owned by Google, so it may happen, A google Brower is also a good idea, and they own the googlebrowser.com domain. Just you wait Very Happy Cool
nox-Hand
violationgames wrote:
It would be cool to have a GoogleOS. Why? Because it would be a free alternative to Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X. Currently many people use Windows, and Mac OS X. Those are easy to learn operating systems. Linux might be too hard for an average computer user. Google should make an OS that will be easy like OS X and Windows, but yet have more features in it.

Just saw this. Like hell that'll happen. It'll be UNIX or Linux based, as writing an operating system from scratch takes too long Shocked

However, also connecting gaming and all Mac/Windows features might be a good step - if they could make it run all programs, it'd be a hit!

/nox
stoned_spirit
wow ! its a hot news for me !! i want read more about !
caroline
Google OS is unnecessary - it is already there in the form of google desktop!

Also, did you know that there is a blog out there titled "Google Operating System"? Lol.

googlesystem.blogspot.com
nox-Hand
Did anyone notice how old the article is? Laughing
angelussum
A google OS might be interesting, but like a lot of people said, it's not really useful/necessary. I probably wouldn't get it. I don't like how google gets into all the ads and what not. Love using google search engine though.
ammonkc
I think it would be a huge boost for the Linux community in general. Google has the Money and the manpower to really make some significant contributions to the linux community. Linux has come a long way, but with google's influence behind it linux could really make a push into mainstream. look at the success that ubuntu has had with some financial backing. imagine if it had virtually unlimited resources. We could end up with the ultimate OS, and it would be FREE.
mogchr
Well, concerning Microsoft, people are just used to the bad experience to not notice that they could be doing much better with another OS. I think that it would be a better plan for google to start coming out with some platform independent products and more online services that they can tie in to creating their own operating system. The only thing is I would like to see GooOS be based only loosely on Linux, for I think they could have much more progress not relying on the whole Linux distrofication.
crasso
SUPERKOOL92 wrote:
A Google browser would be cool. Convienant little Gmail, Froogle, etc things built in. Google's stock would increase, I think.

I'm not sure for the OS, but I wouldn't put money on this. I think that move would ruin the Google company.
Davidgr1200
I'd like to see four operating systems from completely different companies wit about 25% of the market each - they would then have to make good improvements on a regular basis and keep the price down in order to survive.
lukeropro
hellrahul wrote:
It would be gooood if google create a OS.
I think it wiould be free...

I will shift myself from windows to GooOs if it happens...

If it wasn't free no one will use it. And I'll switch to GooOS if it happens too
redice
I've hear about this before, but is seems not the truth.
I like google's services like gmail, reader, blog, bookmarks etc. I will show my best interest in google-OS if it is truly there!!
LostOverThere
Google Browser is pretty much Firefox, they support each other (Mozilla and Google). The only way Google Would make a OS is if they made a Linux Distro, I cant see them doing all this work to make an operating system.