FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Investment Banking

discountcontacts
Hi Guys,

I'm from Sydney, Australia and I'm studying Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Laws (in Australia- LLB is available as an undergraduate study). I have the ambition to be an investment banker in any of the divisions- asset management, sales and trading, corporate finance, research or equities group. Does anyone have the same ambition, is in the club already or knows something? Care to share your opinions?
joxang
Heya, I'm reading medicine at oxford and am thinking about moving onto investment banking after my pre-clinical studies. Or maybe after my clinical.

I'm probably going to take a gap year between my pre-clinicals and my clinicals and a year-long internship with some british banking house...it's key to make connections early. My old school had plenty of connections, and I've tried hard to network with people inside loads of big corporations. Try to get friends and contacts inside them, and it may be worht paying to join 'gentlemen's clubs' which tend to now be filled with rich bankers.
discountcontacts
So you are doing ur undergraduate studies right now in medicine? How do you switch to investment banking and/or compete against students in commerce and laws. Presumably you are not trained in areas of economics and banking. You are just going to walk in the door with your academic abilities? The UK's rorted if thats the case. No offense, but sounds like anyone can be an investment banker. As for your point on networking- what gentleman's clubs are there in the UK- like the golf and fine wine clubs? I've heard of people doing that heaps- getting through the back door because of some connection. Anyhow, keep up the good work and hopefully i'll see you in london one day.