FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Saddam sentenced to death

ahamed
Finally the the former Iraqi president given the death penalty by hanging for his role in a brutal crackdown nearly 25 years ago in Dujail.

Quote:
Saddam Hussein has been convicted of crimes against humanity by a Baghdad court and sentenced to death by hanging.

Read more on:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6117910.stm

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/11/05/dujail.saddam/index.html
cloudship
We all know that the hell behind that decision the matter there is.

As long Saddam Hussein is not dead, Mr. B will not sleep a nice sleep.
Moonspider
cloudship wrote:
We all know that the hell behind that decision the matter there is.

As long Saddam Hussein is not dead, Mr. B will not sleep a nice sleep.

So do you think Saddam Hussein was innocent and/or received an unjust punishment? Do you believe he was railroaded in a kangaroo court in order to placate the president of the United States?

If it was a simple matter of President Bush wanting the man dead, he could have had him shot when the United States Army captured him.

Respectfully,
M
androjuni
this sentence is a big step for the renewing of iraq. but it does create a very volatile situatiuon that can result to serious trouble. Sadam still has a lot of supporters. extremists might go to drastic measures to prostest this decision, they might catch the US presence there unprepared. very volatile. Pray for PEACE guys.
Josso
There will be chaos in Iraq now.
nopaniers
Saddam got what he deserved. Sadly the Iraqi people aren't getting what they deserve after years of war, war, sanctions and now more war.
odinstag
I think we should have stayed out of it.

Period.

Our interferance has fractured Iraq into at least 3 major warring factions. Our boys died getting it going and are still being killed forpeacekeeping against people that don't wanna be peaceful.

It's this way because "War is Big Business". And the rest of us are massaged by their PR firms into buying it. Even supporting it.

First they put Saddam in power and then topple him under the false pretense of WMD's? What was the long range plan of putting him in power? Is this just the fruitation of that plan?

It's very likely so.

I don't care if he dies. Show it on live TV.

Enrage the entire middle east. Who am I to say governments that wage wars under false flags are suspect?

If it comes to my front yard, I'll do whatever it takes to stop it. It sucks but it is the price of freedom. Sometimes you have to do things for yourself.
knight17
Former IRAQI dictator Saddam Hussein was sentenced to death by the court.Here is the Reuters report

Quote:
BAGHDAD (Reuters) - An Iraqi court sentenced a shaken but defiant Saddam Hussein to hang on Sunday for crimes against humanity, sparking joy for Shi'ites he oppressed and resentment among his fellow Sunnis across Iraq's violent sectarian divide.

As mortar rounds crashed on warring Baghdad neighborhoods and police reported sporadic clashes despite a curfew on the capital, Shi'ite Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki called for unity after the ousted leader was handed "the punishment he deserves".

The United States, which set up the court after its invasion toppled Saddam in 2003, called it "a good day for the Iraqi people". U.S. officials again dismissed charges the verdict was timed to aid President George W. Bush's Republicans at elections on Tuesday that have been dominated by dismay at Iraq's turmoil.
Bearded and tieless in a black suit, and clutching a Koran, Saddam called for "forgiveness" for "aggressors" and "traitors".

A lengthy written verdict is expected later in the week.

The former leader has been sentenced to death before, in absentia for trying to assassinate Iraq's then leader in 1959.

He has been held by U.S. troops at Baghdad airport for three years and any execution, possibly next year, is likely to happen behind prison walls, like those of other criminals this year.

Before then, however, he will continue to stand trial for genocide against the Kurds. He is due back in court on Tuesday.

His half-brother, Barzan al-Tikriti, and former judge Awad al-Bander were also sentenced to death for killing, torturing and deporting hundreds of people from the Shi'ite town of Dujail after Shi'ite gunmen tried to kill Saddam there in 1982.

Former vice president Taha Yassin Ramadan received a life term. Three Baath party officials were jailed for 15 years and an eighth, minor defendant was acquitted for lack of evidence.

Saddam admitted ordering the execution of 148 men, calling it justified in wartime against allies of Shi'ite Iran.

International human rights groups, which had called for the case to be heard abroad, said the killing of three defense lawyers, the resignation of a judge over political interference and flaws in evidence meant that it fell short of a fair trial.

But U.S. and Iraqi officials hailed the year-long process as proof of the independence of Iraq's judiciary and a new landmark in the development of international war crimes law since Nazi leaders were tried, and some hanged, at Nuremberg 60 years ago.

The European Union and the Vatican, firmly opposed to capital punishment, urged Iraq not to hang Saddam.

DANCING FOR JOY

In Shi'ite towns and in parts of Baghdad, people poured into the streets after the televised hearing, dancing and yelling for joy at the fate of the man who oppressed them for three decades.

"The court has delivered justice for my son, who was killed by Saddam," housewife Um Hussain said in the Shi'ite holy city of Najaf as crowds chanted "Death to Saddam! Die you Baathists!"

In Saddam's Sunni home town of Tikrit, dozens of men and boys waved his portrait and chanted the old Baath party slogan "Saddam, Saddam! I give my life and blood for you, Saddam!"

But hundreds of killings a week have left many distracted and indifferent to the leader who long boasted he kept sectarian passions in check -- celebratory gunfire in Baghdad was minimal compared to that heard when Saddam's sons were killed in 2003.

In the northern city of Mosul, where Arabs and Kurds are vying for control, 30-year-old Bahjat, who declined to give his full name out of fear, said: "They have condemned Saddam for the killings that happened when he was president. But who will judge the leaders for the killings that happen every day now?"

The U.S. ambassador, Zalmay Khalilzad, said "closing the book on Saddam and his regime" was a chance for Iraqis to unite.

(Additional reporting by Ibon Villelabeitia, Ahmed Rasheed, Mariam Karouny, Claudia Parsons and Reuters staff across Iraq)

Defense lawyers, who said they saw little hope from an appeal in the coming months, dismissed it as "victor's justice".Saddam, 69, initially refused to stand when brought in to hear the verdict from Kurdish chief judge Raouf Abdul Rahman, at a quickfire, 45-minute hearing. When he did, shakily, with clear emotion, he yelled the defiant Arab battle cry "Allahu Akbar!" (God is Greatest) and "Long live Iraq" as the judgment was read.

CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY

"The court has decided to sentence Saddam Hussein al-Majid to be hanged until he is dead for crimes against humanity," Abdul Rahman said, ignoring Saddam's earlier bombastic plea that he should face a military firing squad, not the hangman's noose.

The judge, who earlier ejected former U.S. attorney general Ramsey Clark from the defense panel after he called the court a "mockery of justice", threw out a court guard for chewing gum and laughing as he stood by the fallen strongman in the dock.

Source: Reuters
HoboPelican
I have merged the two topics on Saddam's sentence into this one. Please, search for existing threads before creating a new topic.
mikethm
I would say the death sentence is expected. What else do you expect?
{name here}
mikethm wrote:
I would say the death sentence is expected. What else do you expect?

I'd expect insurgent activity to rise dramatically.
Star Wars Fanatic
I just have to say: FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!! It certainly took them long enough to sentence him... I wonder if they will televise it...
fala
There are two sounds in Iraq.Many Iraqis reacted with jubilation to Saddam Hussein's death sentence Sunday, while others took to the streets in protest.there are two sounds
drdestiny
he did deserve the deaht, no doubt about that.

However, this whole event will proly be used by the government as another bragging media oppurtunity Sad
bangala
Congratulations for the thousands of Iraqi victims.
This is a historical moment. People are crying from happiness, may all bloody dictators face the same verdict.
Dronzar21
ok ok he deserves it but i think this may lead to another disaster in U.S.A and also who are americans to hang saddam

and as coolendra told he should be shot dead he asked the court as his last wish to shoot him on the chest not to hang as a criminal

sorry if iam hurting any ones feelings
bigdan
I'm not surprised he'd be sentanced to death.
ahamed
But I'm afraid of another conflict between sunni and shi'a community.
Scorpio
This certainly is heading to one thing:

That would be utter chaos!

Oh wait! Thats whats happening in iraq right now.

It was better for Bush to stayed out of it.
Hopefully let the people of america not pay the price for his idiocies
S3nd K3ys
Josso wrote:
There will be chaos in Iraq now.

There already is. Rolling Eyes
ahamed
scorpio wrote:

It was better for Bush to stayed out of it.
Hopefully let the people of america not pay the price for his idiocies

I don't think it is possible for Bush to be out of it. As Iraq is in under US capture. And the current govt seems just nothing but a remote control of US administration.
romaop
Saddam now faces this death penalty for what he did. Still nothing is solved. Iraqi people, american people, war,...
Is this a good court decision to build a better world?
Is it right for christians, muslims or others to condemn a person to death?
What about the children that die every minute with hunger. There are people responsible for that. Should they also be condemned to death?
I can't answer these questions but these bang in my mind.

Still it seems to me that this issue isn't properly treated. Many other leaders also commit crimes and nothing is done to condemn them. Is the condemning process the objective? This is not a race that finishes when you got a medal. The decisions must be productive.
Is it better to kill Saddam? Why? Is he nowadays a danger for Iraqi people or others? What about other leaders?

What mostly impressed me was to see leaders "clapping hands" for a death. There's one thing I hate: the word hate.
S3nd K3ys
ahamed wrote:
And the current govt seems just nothing but a remote control of US administration.

Absolutely.

Hopefully the next US President will have the fortitude and sensibility to continue to control Iraq to keep it and it's resources out of the hands of the radical Islamics, which they (the radical Islamics) desperately want and need for thier global effort to succeed.
Peterssidan
Why must they use hanging? Why not some medicin you fall asleep and die in some minutes. I think it will be more frendly to do so.
Star Wars Fanatic
Lol, and why the hell would you want to be friendly to Saddam? I would have chose some horrible death for him...
Moonspider
Peterssidan wrote:
Why must they use hanging? Why not some medicin you fall asleep and die in some minutes. I think it will be more frendly to do so.

Because hanging is a dishonorable manner of death in every culture.

Respectfully,
M
romaop
After all his atrocities
The target gets caught
And the skull is shown on TV
Is this what we want?
Just one more sad day
Star Wars Fanatic
romaop wrote:
After all his atrocities
The target gets caught
And the skull is shown on TV
Is this what we want?
Just one more sad day

Sad???? Who here is sad because a dictator who killed thousands of people, raped hundreds, and tortued thousands is being executed? The only people who are close to sad are those who are torterers themselves, and they aren't sad, they are mad...
romaop
I can't be happy when someone is, probably, going to be killed. Even Saddam. He was caught and is a prisoner. Isn't that enough? Why all this cerimony? And what will follow, none knows. Probably the world won't be better...

Isn't this just a demonstration of power by some "important" people?
There are people who suffered, I know. Saddam should "pay" for what he did. The only solution seems to be killing him. Why?
Soulfire
As much as I like to look at this as good news (and it still is) I am worried that those who remain loyal to Saddam in Iraq will only increase their violence, and that's something quite undesireable... to say the least.
Star Wars Fanatic
romaop wrote:
I can't be happy when someone is, probably, going to be killed. Even Saddam. He was caught and is a prisoner. Isn't that enough? Why all this cerimony?

Because, if we just let him rot in prison, sooner or later the terrorist network is going to take a bunch of people hostage or something like that and demand his release. And while you may not be happy, you can't really say you are sad.
S3nd K3ys
Saddam: OK, sorry about all the killin and stuff lol

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/World/Iraq

Forgive me. Ill be good Laughing

Quote:

Saddam Hussein calls for reconciliation
AP - 2 hours, 49 minutes ago

BAGHDAD, Iraq - A somber Saddam Hussein called on Iraqis to forgive each other Tuesday, when he returned to court two days after being sentenced to death for crimes against humanity in another case.
ocalhoun
I say; put some measures in place to prevent him repeating the crimes, and then give him the forgiveness he wants.

I think doing that would really help the opinion of the USA and allies in Iraq, and therefore give the international community much less to complain about. I would have Saddam announce his repentance in public and on television, so even the terrorists would have less motivation to hate the USA.
Josso
ocalhoun wrote:
so even the terrorists would have less motivation to hate the USA.

I guess so but it's an Iraqi court dude
S3nd K3ys
Josso wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
so even the terrorists would have less motivation to hate the USA.

I guess so but it's an Iraqi court dude

That makes it that much better. Knowing that the US will allow Iraqi's to run their own course.

But alass, the US is not really the problem. The problem is Western Civilization. Judeo-Christianity is the Great Satan.

Radical Islamics will not stop their Jihad until they spread Islam world wide and defeat Western Civilization. I've heard them say it. I have no reason to doubt them.
Star Wars Fanatic
Lol, this is too funny, sure, we'll forgive you Saddam, after you're dead...

Hey, lets just forgive all the terrorists of all their evil doings, and just stop this war! Who cares that they will just attacks even more, lets forgive them for that too! Hey! I have an idea, we could just kill everyone who doesn't have their beliefs for them! That way we won't have to forgive them for anything, and they won't kill anyone![/sarcasm] Rolling Eyes
romaop
It's this feeling that things could be much better. Watching TV, the bombings, the people crying, is an usual thing these days. It's too difficult to stop misery, but this is what people want, not the killing of a person.
Killing a person is sad. That's my opinion.
Saddam is not the real issue here.
Perhaps he can work and work at the prison. Perhaps at the construction, building houses (not ordering to bomb houses). Other leaders might also join him because they also ordered bombings and killed innocent people.
S3nd K3ys
romaop wrote:
It's too difficult to stop misery, but this is what people want, not the killing of a person.

See, that's where you are mistaken. There ARE people that only live to kill. They're trained at a very early age to hate and to fight. It's pathetic, but it's just about the only way they can get recruits.

Quote:
Saddam is not the real issue here.

No, he is not. He is what brought the issue to a head though.
Dronzar21
Lol Sorry. Hahaha Laughing I think doing that would really help the opinion of the USA and allies in Iraq, and therefore give the international community much less to complain about. I would have Saddam announce his repentance in public and on television, so even the terrorists would have less motivation to hate the USA.
ocalhoun
Dronzar21 wrote:
Lol Sorry. Hahaha Laughing I think doing that would really help the opinion of the USA and allies in Iraq, and therefore give the international community much less to complain about. I would have Saddam announce his repentance in public and on television, so even the terrorists would have less motivation to hate the USA.

ocalhoun wrote:
I think doing that would really help the opinion of the USA and allies in Iraq, and therefore give the international community much less to complain about. I would have Saddam announce his repentance in public and on television, so even the terrorists would have less motivation to hate the USA.

Really, I don't mind you reiterating what I said, but if you're going to, could you please use quote tags?
HoboPelican
This topic is close enough in time and content to the existing HERE

edit by mOrpheuS - topics merged
bangala
I am usually against death panelties. However, in Saddam's case, I'm with it. Crimes that invlove mass people and several countries should not be treated as a normal crime. In my openion, Saddam's trial is not an Iraqi issue only. It's an international one. His victimes are everywhere: Iraq, Iran, Kuwait etc.

Also, I don't agree with those who claim that killing Saddam will increase violence in Iraq. On the contrary, leaving him alive might increase the hope of terrorists of releasing him and give them the motives to continue their terror.