FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mandriva 2007

sarapicoazul
What is your impression about Mandriva linux 2007 ?
nothingXelse
Prefer Gentoo.
JamesBond
i have heard that its very good, though i dont use mandriva. but i believe it will be good. i desperately want to try it.
Sergiy
I have tested the Mandriva Linux 2007
This is the best Linux for home use (no server) for computer. It has big base of programms installed when installing OS.
We have Cedega emulator for playing Windows games on Linux. We have installed: Mozilla, OpenOffice.org, messenger, games (flat out and more), we have all programms for easy use.
ezekiel_rage
Sergiy wrote:
I have tested the Mandriva Linux 2007
This is the best Linux for home use (no server) for computer. It has big base of programms installed when installing OS.
We have Cedega emulator for playing Windows games on Linux. We have installed: Mozilla, OpenOffice.org, messenger, games (flat out and more), we have all programms for easy use.

It really is very good.

Sometimes looking at the screenshots and reading the documnetations would make me want to use mandirva again. because since Mandriva 2006, I have switched to SuSE.

Been using Suse sfor almost a year now. Just upgraded to 10.1 and I am liking it very much.

You should give it a try.
vinx_18
hey i am interested with mandriva.. Do you have any link to this? I am currently using UBUNTU. I'm loving it!
Sergiy
official site od Mandriva linux 2007 is here.
You can download this Linux from this site. Mandriva is easy for use and have many programms.
escalera
i was mandrake super fan until 10.1
now i use kubuntu
i have installed 2007, nice look but it is not solid as mandrake 10.1, some programs are not estable like rpmdrake
qscomputing
Mandriva has always been an excellent distro and the new package manager is brilliant. Highly recommended.
medhunter
8 years have passed

My first experience with Linux was 1999 when I grabbed 2 CDs for Mandrake 7 and start install

Every thing went better than expexted

System is cool with some eye candy and accessibility.

For a home user I'd recommend

The only thing keeps me away from it is Games

I know what codega can do , But I don't think my poor 2.4 512MB RAM gonna handle this well.

2007 Release haven't installed it yet,I 'll DL it ASAP
Darius
Well,as i heard 2007 Mandriva is pretty good. But i had, have and probably always have the opinion about linux that it is not for games (at least it's far from being one of it's primary goals).
corey
I thought that game consoles were for games. I can see where a lot of peopel might use a PC for games if they don't pay for them, but, otherwise, its the same regardless of OS.
qscomputing
I agree; if I wanted the latest games, I would buy a games console. But I actually prefer the style of games that can generally be found on Linux; not too graphics-intensive.
icedrakon
easy installation only one of three distributions that worked(from the first time) in my laptop
the other 2 are debian and fedora
LostOverThere
Mandriva is great because of its ease of use, ease of installation, fantastic installed software, and looks beautiful. Smile

Although I haven't installed it yet, I've used it at my friends house.
toptyg
Before installing OS *nix you should read about popular(Suse Fedore Gentoo Arch Debian and etc)
Or if you have friend which have installed Linux you may install this Linux too...
I do not so like Mandriva, I started with FreeBsd and now use it and Arch linux.
fadirocks
I'm going to get the live CD but what do you think I should get Gnome or KDE?

I mean which one works better for mandriva?
LostOverThere
fadirocks wrote:
I'm going to get the live CD but what do you think I should get Gnome or KDE?

I mean which one works better for mandriva?

Its really your own opinion.
KDE is better for people who are used to windows. It is also a lot more graphically beautiful and clean.
ezekiel_rage
toptyg wrote:
Before installing OS *nix you should read about popular(Suse Fedore Gentoo Arch Debian and etc)
Or if you have friend which have installed Linux you may install this Linux too...
I do not so like Mandriva, I started with FreeBsd and now use it and Arch linux.

KDE has always been the preffered DE by Mandriva ever since its first release.

Used to be easy to pick between KDE and GNOME.

The argument was, If you want cool eye candy go for KDE, If you want a fast and lean desktop environment go GNOME.

Now both destop environments are resource hogs.

So, for me the choice is simple, KDE.

Since the newer versions of GNOME consumes as muh resources as KDE, at least I get beter eye candy.

Just my 2 cents
LostOverThere
Yeah, I agree with ezekiel_rage.

Yeah, I use KDE, it has a more "home" look and feel for me. I guess I was bought up using Windows. Embarassed
Bones
corey wrote:
I thought that game consoles were for games. I can see where a lot of peopel might use a PC for games if they don't pay for them, but, otherwise, its the same regardless of OS.

Are you serious!? PC's are wayyy better than consoles for gaming. You can upgrade your pc (lets see you toss a new vid card in your PS3).
PC games can be patched (though I think some of the new consoles may have this functionality), pc games can be modded (counterstrike or desert combat anyone?) I'm a hardcore gamer and refuse to buy consoles anymore because they are vastly inferior to the pc..

As far as Mandriva goes, I prefer Suse myself, but Mandriva is a good choice. If you can install Windows, you can install Mandriva..it's that easy.

For desktops, I prefer KDE. It feels more like Windows, and since that's what I am used to...Though I would really love to play with the Novell desktop XGL. Check out the demo video for it here: http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-199899523054020719&q=linux+desktop+novell

It makes the Vista and Mac OS desktops look pretty pathetic by comparison.
mehulved
Bones wrote:
Though I would really love to play with the Novell desktop XGL. Check out the demo video for it here: http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-199899523054020719&q=linux+desktop+novell

But, AIGLX is much better performance wise as it runs on the top of X server whereas XGL requires a kind of modified version of X server which makes it slower.
But, for many people using ATI cards they have no choice cos their card works well only with fglrx drivers which don't support AIGLX.
Bones
Nice, I had never heard of that desktop before. Found a video of it on Youtube. It doesn't look quite as nice as xgl, but it still looks pretty sweet.
mehulved
You've got it wrong. Effect are based on whether you use compiz or beryl not on xgl or aiglx. Anyways there will be only one project henceforth.